rFactor 2 and SimuCUBE

After sone trial and error I achieved at least a compromise with my OSW.

Most important parameters that I changed:

In SC1: overall strength 100%, steering range: 1440°.

In-game: car specific ffb multi: between .20-.50(each car has to be tuned), steering rate:20%, ffb smoothing: between 1 and 4.

Also checked the parameters mentioned here (not the ones in the video): https://simracingworld.info/2018/12/16/rf2-osw-profile-file/

But some weird things I do still notice:
-when exiting box in siverstone I turn right and there is a kerb in the straight of pits. If I touch it while turning right the wheel produces a big force (dangerous). This happened before on many kerbs of the circuit while driving or going out of racetrack limits shortly. Now it only happens in pit. Since speed is very low it seems ffb sends too much power to the wheel (it is not balanced for this car speed)
-something similar happened when accelarating while turning. now it is acceptable, but seems again there is an imbalance.

Another question i have is … “PhilTheBeat” writes down on 1st january 2019 in his post all the modifcations he did further to the .json. Still havent test it. Any feedback to his setup? Anything that should be updated to his profile?

Reminder: we should not edit the file named “controller.json”; that file is an active file that the game uses to track controller changes. Editing this file will likely result in inconsistent results and confusion for the user. The controller preset (SimuCube) should also not be edited but, if it is by mistake, delete it and use Steam “Verify File Integrity” to replace it with a new one.

The proper file to edit is the one we create, name (uniquely) and save (or export), derived from the appropriate controller preset (SimuCube).

Hi,

You mean this one should not be edited: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\controller.json

And this one can be modified?: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\OSW_Simcube

it is best that way.

i find it better to use lower overall strenght but if it works better for you at 100% it is fine.

I tried today a complete different setup. Did not like it at all.

I stay with the one I posted yesterday. I made a minor change (test done with Renault Megane): FFB Smoothing=0.

The profile to edit is one that you save. Start with the OSW SimuCube Preset provided in rFactor2. Save it (export) by giving it a unique name of your choice. Now edit your settings & button/axis assignments and export again using the same unique name. Then you can manually edit that custom file you saved and edit as needed.

This is a good practice with almost any title as it preserves the baseline game controller preset, and gives us a clear controller profile to work with when needed. Of course, some titles don’t allow us to edit the default preset and that eliminates some potential issues.

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum and recently owner of an “OSW Large MiGe, Biss-C encoder”. I had problems with settings for rF2. First thing usually the game automatically adjusts the steering wheel degrees according to what you choose in the menu, but in my case it controls the firmware. Do you have an idea how to solve it? Another thing how can I start with the settings, both fw and in the game? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you

Once the first installation problems have been overcome, I am here to ask for advice on the settings to make the most of the device. I uploaded the profile created by rF2 but I don’t like it. I feel all the effects covered by the force that releases the engine. I use 100% strength in FW, all 100% direct inputs, the other 3 filters at 0.50 and the Force reconstruction filter at 4. In game the FFB Smoothing at 4 … do you have any advice on how to improve?

Hey all - I tried rFactor briefly 6 months ago and just couldn’t get it feeling good on my osw 20nm.

But I keep hearing so many people talk about how amazing it is once dialled in, so I’m back again to give it more love until I get it right.

There are SO many different setups here I’m really struggling to find a straight forward starting point/guide for my osw josn file and the in-game settings and the simucube software (currenlty just set to 1440 degrees and 100% power) .

Would anyone be willing to post up their json and screen cap their in game settings who has the same or similar setup to me? I haven’t had so much trouble getting any game dialled in - although R3E took a little while.

@Master_Dee go to your SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\OSW_Simcube.json

make a copy of that file and give it a name that you like and save it inside the same folder (example SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller\OSW_Simcube_Master_dee.json) and then edit it with a notepad. Ofc when you finish with your changes don’t forget to load that profile inside the game.

i would lower the “Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness”:20, if you have problem when reaching bumpstops

i would also make sure that 1440 dor is being used in the json. If it doesn’t you will have a dor problem. so check in json these:
“Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default”: 1440,
“Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver”:false, (i think it also works with true but i don’t remember for sure , you will have to test)
“Steering Wheel Software Rotation”:true,

you don’t have to alter “Steering Wheel Range”: , leave it as it is

And check “vehicle set” inside rF2 game and ofc set simucube tool at 1440 (as you say you have already)

Then i would start with lower power in simucube tool. Try 50% at first and start giving more power. 100% is a bit too high i think.

Also play with recon filter . You could try from 0 to 10 but you should also take into account that the game has preconfigured filter at 4 inside the game. So before saying that recon doesn’t feel nice at an exact number , do some tests with less or more filtering inside the game. So to give you an idea , i think if you set recon at 10 you should set filter inside game at 0. On the other hand if you set recon at low value you could use some filtering.

Also i never leave the power of the car at 1.0 ingame . Try reducing it. to 0.5 to 0.7 depending on the car.

Also in order to get proper feedback try with trakcs and cars that are official. Try the radical.

There is also some others things to consider but you just say that you are having trouble but could need more info to help you out. But the official json for simucube is a nice starting point. For example i prefer “Steering resistance type”:1, (in order to use friction) , but there are also a lot more values to tweak in order to rule out specific problems that may arise for your combo.

I don’t use direct input filters in simucube tool (i set them at 0). If you need use other filters. I use a bit of friction but those are completely up to personal taste.

2 Likes

@Ivaldi85

Start by setting all direct input filters at 0. I think rf2 uses direct input damping and having that at 100% may be your problem. With recon filter at 4 i would try with ffb smoothing at 0. You could also try with less power in FW and when you do all these start over with other 3 filters at 0 and see if you need them.

I’ve had very good results using the SimuCube preset in rF2. Other than steering rotation settings, not much to change in the controller-profile imo but, here are my basic tips:

Set rotation to: 1440 degrees (SimuCube / rF2)
SimuCube Output: 100%
SC1 Recon-filter: 8
SC1 Friction: 0.5%
SC1 Damping: 1.0%
SC1 Direct-Input Effect / Spring: 34% (Other D-I effects N.A.)

rFactor2 FFB Strength: .35 to .5 range (May vary per car)
rF2 Smoothing Filter: 0-3% (may be useful to avoid having multiple SC1 profiles)
rF2 Min-Force: 0 (a tiny amount may help with feeling near center - if steering feels loose)

4 Likes

Unless you changed the method of FFB in your rF2 controller-profile, rF2 uses “Spring” Direct-Input effect. I find that can be over-whelming at 100%, so I suggest reducing that significantly. Experiment to find the optimal level. Some cars FFB will feel very heavy when spring is set too high. I suspect this may be why some players seek altered rF2 controller-profile settings.

IIRC, if using the alternate method (Friction) in rF2 FFB, then the (Friction) Direct-Input setting will need to be optimized.

i think that when you have “Steering resistance type”:0, it uses di damping . And i have “Steering resistance type”:1, then it uses di friction . But since i am leaving for work i can’t check atm.

IIRC, Spring is the only DI-effect that shows as being active in rF2 for me. I’m using the default method. Lowering that made a big difference in FFB for me. If DI-Damping is active, mine is set at 100%.

rF2 FFB is my personal favorite to date although, AMS2 may be gaining ground. Of course, it’s all subjective so YMMV. :grinning:

Ok i am sure you are correct. But he said having all di filters at 100 that also means friction that’s why i said to set at 0. Set at 0 and then start increasing if he likes it.

Try with friction instead of damper set in json sometime. And give it a bit of testing, i find it i can control-feel oversteer better

Understood. I did try Friction (json) at one point but, later settled on the default. I was surprised how well it worked but, didn’t feel it offered any major advantage. I should give it another go one of these days.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@Loukas_Bourdas Thanks a lot for that.

So I’ve had a close look and everything is set up as you suggest - So right now what do I feel… Barely any sense of texture or feedback through wheels except some high speed resistance around corners and odd bump here or there and some rumble when I hit offroad or curb. The steering feels very dull and lifeless.

Just so you know, I’m comparing it against, ACC, AC, iRacing, R3E, and Automobilista 2, all of which feel different from each other, but all of which feel engaging and detailed. I don’t think people are lying about rfactor having great ffb so I really want to get it right now :slight_smile:

This is my json I’m using: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1DHCDjE5-Cj1-eNhsDQWrqoetVHaYs9Na/view?usp=sharing

Where would you look next?

edit: I don’t have any of the simucube direct inputs above 0. I tried adding friction (as I had the frictoin option selected) but that didn’t really add any detail so I put it back to 0.

and your simucube settings ?

@Loukas_Bourdas - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QSZGKoX-P3ngjFBO8tvnLdD6BNJn5vJJ/view?usp=drivesdk