rFactor 2 and SimuCUBE

Is it me, or is the FFB in the new Sebring track jacked up to violent levels? I know the track is bumpy and all. But running FFB settings that worked well on other tracks just leads to house-rattling jolts on bumps that rival ramming walls on other tracks. It look far beyond that in onboard videos from Sebring.

It is a beautiful track. One thing is that the laser scanned track actually shows the skill and attention to detail of the modders for rF2, Assetto, and AMS—as the mod tracks are pretty darned accurate, if not down to the location of every bump.

Yeah, the bumps are extreme. I know the track is notorious for them being really brutal and I’ve read that some drivers can even have problems with blurred vision during, and even 1-2 weeks after competing there.

I do think they add to the overall intensity but, I can understand some tweaks being needed to tone them down a bit too. A custom controller profile might be justified just for that track.

I love this version.
Finally a sim/track combination where you can actually feel setup changes and find nicer lines to drive and gradually make you faster.
That’s racing.
Big compliment to the RF2 team.

We want realisme! So if the bumps are to extreme go lower in setting!
You can Always go back to a Thrustmaster T300-500 :slight_smile: lol

1 Like

Lol. To think over on the iRacing forums guys are building 70nm Simucube rigs. Can you imagine Sebring at max on one of those monsters. They’d interrupt regular programming because of irregular seismograph readings in the region.

1 Like

^^ That had me LOL this morning, thanx :slight_smile:

Hi folks. Having an issue with rF2 FFB. I’m losing the road texture feel while in mid corner (long banked corners are the most obvious). I get the road feel on corner entry and exit but the middle of the corner is numb. Just wheel weight. This also happens in AMS too so I’m thinking it has to be a Simucube setting. Any thoughts?

That sounds like soft clipping. It is actually cured by reducing the in-game ffb settings (like per car multiplier. You can increase the Simucube strength to offset and maintain your overall strength while eliminating the software-based clipping.

2 Likes

OK. I do run my Simucube at about 30-35% with the in-software settings at the usual 1.00 and only ever change that if something really jumps out at me. Will give this a go. Thank you for the info. :grin:

What I’ve learned from others on the forums, and then confirmed in practice, is to set in-game gains at pretty low numbers (say, 30 to 60 %), and then adjust the power of Simucube until I get the output I want. On rF2, for example, which is still a work in progress to me on FFB, it seems to work well to set the per-car multiplier at 0.3 to 0.6 and run the large Mige at 75 to 100 %.

Now, for AMS, lowering the gain does indeed help with soft clipping. However, there are some cars on some tracks (particularly some mod cars) which may still need adjustments to the individual RealFeel “MaxForceAtSteeringRack” to eliminate the soft clipping on high force situations. There are some pretty detailed threads on this and other forums on that topic. I would start, though, with simply adjusting the in-game gain. For example, it works well on my large Mige to run a full 25amps (100 %) on Simucube, and put in-game gain at 35 to 45 %. That is still rather stout FFB. For my money, AMS is the most rich FFB experience on a DD wheel, and needs very little tweaking. Driving a Formula V10 around Suzuka (Kansai) is one of the best experiencing in sim racing that is truly done justice on a DD wheel. It has all speeds of corners from chicane when the wheel is light to sweeping high-downforce corners where you can feel the wheels struggling for grip. So much fun.

I don’t claim to be a guru, but what it appears game developers do to account for the vast range of strength of wheels (from Logitich DFGT’s with tiny motors and big gears to the Large Mige with a big motor and no gears), is to shift the range of feedback upward so that small forces can be felt on weaker wheels, sacrificing detail at the top end because the game then “clips” off the top range when maximum output is reached. Shifting that range downward is feasible on a DD wheel because a DD wheel can relay even tiny FFB outputs to which a weaker wheel would not even respond.

Sorry . . that’s a lot of words. The sum of the matter is this: run the in-game gain low, Simucube gain high. Generally speaking.

3 Likes

I’d like to see ‘Jimmy Broadbent’ doing his infamous “100% FFB DD challenge” on one of those 70nm motors!
70nm!! Lol, that’s just got to be a joke, unless I missed that it’s for “Farming Simulators” for farming vehicle training where the power steering breaks down in a muddy field.
:smiley:

Interestingly, Sam Maxwell, one of the godfather’s of high-end simracing equipment, said he wanted that kind of torque output for oval racing. Sounds totally exhausting to me, as oval racing means most of the time on track is under heavy steering load. Obviously, they want sim racing to count as an upper body workout regimen. lol

Sir, you’re a Legend. It was indeed soft clipping. Through my own testing I quickly settled on 70% on my small MIGE and 0.40 in-game for the Oreca 07 around Palm Springs road course (with the long banked corner). Different experience altogether. Thank you for ALL your words. Also I completely agree with you in regards to AMS FFB. Even with my wonky settings it still felt magnificent. I’m off to tinker with AMS now. I may be a while. :grin:

In rF2, I created my controller profile by using the AccuForce preset and editing the controller assignments; that gave me more normalized FFB effect-levels for curbs and off-track. I run most cars FFB at .5 output and SimuCube at close to 100% output. This approach works well with most titles imo although, not all titles offer a DD-specific profile.

Some of the reason for the more detailed FFB in AMS may actually be due to the way the track surface is modeled. It may have more affect on the FFB results than the tire model does.

2 Likes

Hello
Is it possible to have the file .json ?
Thanks

2 Likes

haha!
The few times I’ve ever raced Oval (iRacing) my shoulder muscles were burning and I’m using a small MiGe and am a pretty strong guy.
Not sure what exactly they are going for with 70Nm?
Does not compute

At the end, using a 100NM servo won’t change the fact that the telemetry only puts out a certain torque Setpoint …I am not really seeing any difference on my AKM65 servo running at a true 38NM 1:1 and running it at 30NM, for example.

In iRacing, the DW12 Indycar is the toughest on ffb, perhaps some shorter spikes upwards of 40NM, but those are so short in duration, they most likely only feels like a vibration.

I think the servo I am using is probably the maximum that can benefit and replay all of iRacing ffb signal, the size of it also not causing overly mechanical damping due to to much inertia.

Anyway, my servo can go 65NM if I had a bit more current available, but there is zero need for that, the sweet-spot for servos will be this 25-30NM range should you wish to experience 1:1 ffb.

Just my humble opinion.,.

Beano

1 Like

Nothing,nothing,nothing !

Hi,
Have you updated any of your settings since the latest firmware updates? This is a year old now and I was wondering if these settings still apply?

thanks

Software rotation support has arrived for SimuCUBE. Roadmap Update

No more different profiles for different cars. :grinning: