rFactor 2 and Simucube 2

I have not been able to repeat such issue. Can you try with a new controller profile in rFactor2 ? Also try with a smaller turning radius such as 540 degrees when assigning the controls - maybe rFactor2 expects certain speed of change for the axis inputs to detect movement.

Hi @Mika …just checked how much rotation is needed .and it is about 540 degrees in either direction for the wheel to calibrate … i am also wondering if @Maxx has loaded the rev3 files into his controller jason ??? and if he has is @maxx loading that simucube pro file to calibrate wheel rotation and assign his buttons . regards Denis

1 Like

Hi Mika
very interesting, On my last test , the rfactor2 profile was new , but it didn’t work.

Now I following your tips, I have deleted the rfactor2 profile and create a new one with 540 degrees set in the True drive profile and it works…

Still has questions for you…
what is the correct/recommend wheel range i should set in the TD software for rfactor2?
what is the wheel range again i should set in Rfactor2?

At least i can start using it now…!

Thank you

Glad you finally got it working :+1:

It’s recommended to use 1440 in the game and also TD.

You can make sure the game is set to 1440 here:

https://community.granitedevices.com/t/rfactor-2-and-simucube-2/2975/106?u=esxpaul

1 Like

Thank you Paul
I will try to download the mika’s Json file again and set the Recommend wheel range in TD to 1440 .
Do I need to edit anything on the Json file?

Any recommend setting in rfactor2? First time for me to use dd wheel in Rfactor2, any tips will help

Thank you

You’ll need to follow the instructions contained in the rFactor2 November 2018 roadmap that I linked. That will get the game files set up for 1440. Then set your TD profile to 1440 as well.

My settings are posted just a little up the page (posts 151 and 152) if you want to give them a try. There are also a few settings from other users that you might prefer if you have a quick scroll down from the top of this thread.

hello guys … excuse my ignorance. but when I go to set up on the Truedrive 1440 and also in the game … how do I do with cars that have a 612 ° steering angle? I do not understand?

If you make sure to tick “vehicle set”, the degrees of rotation will automatically be set for each vehicle. You can leave TD set at 1440.

You’ll see that in the screenshots I posted a little further up the page.

2 Likes

RF2’s auto-rotation works with the SC2? I don’t recall it working with the SC1 a while back last time I tried but I could be wrong.

Yes, it’s been fine fine for me and the auto rotation seems to be spot on with every car I’ve tried.

Why do you need to set the wheel to 1440 degrees though? Auto-rotation controls your wheels’ rotation so it shouldn’t matter what you set it to because the game will change it…

You set it so that 1440 is the maximum amount of rotation that can be read by the game, from the driver.

I don’t have an exact number but I believe some of the historic vehicles can come somewhere close to that amount of rotation.

I’m not the best at explaining it but if you read the rFactor2 notes on the subject it will make more sense.

It’s on this page under the heading “Software Wheel Rotation Explained”

https://www.studio-397.com/2018/11/roadmap-update-november-2018/

2 Likes

honestly, I didn’t automatically change the rotation of the steering. I set in the TD 1440 ° in RF2 using the Porsche 911 that a 540 ° angle the car did not turn completely and the TD remained always at 1440 °

Interesting regarding the 911 Cup. Had the same issue the other day, steering wheel did not match the game. Other cars are fine… 1400 on both places here aswell. Maybe its something with the car?

Strange that you guys are having that issue. I don’t have the 911 cup car but I just tried the 911 GT3 and the rotation matches up exactly.

OK so basically rFactor 2 (and some other games, eg. Automobilista) still aren’t able to read or change the steering rotation of OpenSimWheels and Simucubes so inatead RF2 has implemented a system where it applies it’s own steering rotation limit/lock from the game rather than the wheel’s software/driver.

It’s pretty simple actually. In your RF2’s PLR file, you set A) “Steering Wheel Software Rotation” to “true” and B) “Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” to the same # you have set in your wheel’s driver (Eg. 270 degrees, 1080, 1440, etc.) and that’s it. You can also adjust “Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness” anywhere fron 10.0-100.0; that determines how hard RF2 kicks in the FFB when you reach the max rotation.

So basically it’s the game applying it’s own soft locks instead of using/changing the wheels’ drivers; that means compatibility for any and every wheel because the game is applying it’s own soft lock and does not rely on programming to try and “talk to” the wheels’ drivers. I’ve been told that Assetto Corsa and Dirt Rally 2.0 are capable of this system too.

The only thing that concerns me is how the SC2’s FFB works when this happens. Lets say you’re using this game-applied auto-rotation of RF2’s (or any game which supports this - DR2.0 & AC). Let’s say you have your wheel’s driver set to a large number like 900 or 1440 degrees but then drive a car that only uses 360 degrees. Is the SC2’s FFB reliant on any sort of scaling or anything like that? In this example, sure, RF2 will stop the wheel at 360 degrees to perfectly match the car but the SC2’s driver/firmware will still be applying FFB as if the wheel is set to 1440 degrees. Scaling & other aspects of FFB behaviour regarding overall forces, filters, etc. may change accordingly to the wheel’s driver’s rotation setting - therefore the SC2 will be applying it’s FFB forces, filters, etc. as if you’re driving a 1440 degrees steering rotation car rather than 360 degrees. I guess only Granity themselves would be able to know for certain answer this. Perhaps that is why RF2 states to not use this auto-rotation method unlesd the traditional method they use doesn’t work for your wheel.

“Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” is nothing more than an artificial boundary. As it also says: “Maximum”. rFactor 2’s boundary is 1440.

The game then can adjust it within that boundary, individually for different cars. That’s the “Steering Wheel Software Rotation” setting, which allows the game to adjust rotation.

Ya, but you want to set that boundry as high as you can if your steering wheel supports it, this gives you the largest amount of steering rotation available in case you drive cars that have that much steering rotation. If your wheel is capable of 1440 degrees then set this setting and your wheel’s driver to 1440 degrees and that will give RF2 the largest possible range of steering lock to work with. If your wheel is capable of 900, then you set this setting as well as your driver to 900. Same with 1080 degrees, etc.

These are ALL artificial boundaries. That’s the whole point of this system. It’s so RF2 can use it’s own in-game steering boundaries (soft locks) instead of relying on your wheel’s driver’s soft locks. There’s no communication possible at the moment between wheels like the Simucube and some games (eg. RF2) for adjusting steering rotation therefore RF2 needs to know at what point your wheel stops therefore you need to input the number of degrees you set in your driver at the "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” line. I guess you can have an even bigger number in your driver than "Steering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default” but you definitely don’t want a smaller # in your driver.

then passed the speech of the degrees of the steering to be applied manually every time for car … to have a greater detail of the road surface … of holes and bumps what value / effect do you recommend activating? very kind

I don’t think the game is going to provide more details at lower degrees of rotation and then lessen those details as the number gets higher.

As far as I know there is no scaling of the details that are dependent on the dor.

As @Spinelli explained, it’s just the games way of implementing soft lock at the correct point for each vehicle, within a maximum range of 1440. That saves you having to make a specific TD profile for each car.

Having said that, there’s nothing to stop you having a more finely tuned profile for each car which has the correct dor and soft lock setting and then leaving the in game “vehicle set” unchecked.

1 Like