rFactor 2 and Simucube 2

I have on both json files the steering torque capabilty at 17.

There are huge differents between the two json files.

It would be very useful if the pros here can tell me which one to prefer and what the different parameters are doing.

I used WinMerge an there a in total more the 90 differents in the json files, for sure with some of the edits more or less important.

Which i can see are the following more important inputs:

Brake effects strength":10000 and 0

Clutch effects strength":10000 and 0

Gearbox effects strength":10000 and 0

Off-road multiplier":0.3 and 0.1

Other spring coefficient":0.2 and 0

Other spring saturation":1 and 0

Rumble strip pull factor":1.5 and 0

Rumble strip wave type":3 and 0

Steering resistance type":1 and 0 (friction vs. damping)

Steering torque minimum":7.45058e-009 and 0

Steering torque per-vehicle mult":0.45 and 1 (i don’t know what 0.45 does, because i have to set it everytime to 0.45 from 1)

Steering torque zero-speed mult":0.2 and 0.1

Throttle effects strength":10000 and 0

Throttle spring coefficient":0.1 and 0.4

Steering Wheel Bump Stop Harshness":10 and 20

Left side is TechDaddy, right side is from Mika. Maybe you can explain something to me.

Thank you very much.

i am no pro and can not tell you which one to prefer , it is ffb related and it is subjective , so whaterver you like best.

Brake , clutch , gearbox and throttle effects are pretty much self explanatory. If you have all those set to 1 , for example the brake: (1 = brake effects on steering axis) . Then when the strength is set to 10000 = max , and 0 just cancels the effect. Sometimes 10000 or -10000 is the correct but i have no clue for simucube2.

off-road multiplier is when you leave off track , lets say you enter the grass , then it adds to the strength of the vibrations. Choose whatever you like.

Other spring coefficient and saturation , if memory serves me well , do nothing for your wheel.

rumble strip pull factor is the strength that you will feel pulling when you go over a rumble strip. I would prefer 0 but it is also user preference.

rumble strip wave type, i doubt it matters all that much , so both can work
0=Sine, 1=Square, 2=Triangle, 3=Sawtooth up, 4=Sawtooth down.

steering resistance type is also user preference. Try them both. I prefer friction but some don’t like it.

steering torque minimum . both are basically 0 . The 7.45058e-009 was introduced by studio397 for the simucube1. Can’t tell you will feel difference either way.

haven’t messed with Throttle spring coefficient to give you an idea

Steering torque per-vehicle mult isn’t that much important inside the json since you can alter it ingame. So basically it is ffb strength for the car. There is no right or wrong setting because it differs per car.

torque zero-speed mult is when you are parked. If you don’t have oscillation when parked , both are fine.

Steering wheel bump stop harshness is when you reach the end of your wheel rotation , how strong the effect of the bump stop will be. User preference again. If 20 feels heavy when you reach the bumpstop go with 10. If 10 feels way light go 20.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for all this information. This will help me alot for a better unstanding in rF2.

My last question - can you also explain me what the Direct Inputs Effects are doing in rF2?

i don’t have sc2 so i don’t know how it shows up which direct input effect works , but every game uses some or none from those direct input effects. If it was sc1 i could tell you. In theory though when you have the game launched, if it uses a di effect it should have a circle , if it doesn’t it should have a " - " . In general if it uses for example, direct input damping you can use from 0 to max and it can dampen the wheel. If it doesn’t use direct input damping it doesn’t mater even if you have it max. So if it doen’t use direct input damping and you need damping you can do it by the other filters.

This is also correct for Simucube 2 True Drive software - the balloons next to the sliders act exactly the same way. They are also explained in the User Guide.

@andrgr Have you read the User Guide?

1 Like

Yes i did read the User Guide, but it’s been a while since i have done this. So it looks like it should do this again.

@Mika Could you post your TD Settings which you are using with your rev3 json files?

I do not have a special profile for rFactor 2 at the moment, as I very rarely drive that simulator myself. Certainly no time for me to make special settings.

to be honest the default one into TD is the best I found so far Mika

1 Like

I have a problem if I hit a sausage curb, barrier or another car. Jolt at 0 or lower everything is ok if I hit straight on, no matter what object. At an angle it seems to ignore the Jolt value and want’s to break my arms. I game force set to 50 and 15nm in True Drive. Everyhing else is pretty much the same as advised in this discussion.

and what controller.json do you use ?

Hi, and thanks for the response. The one off this forum from GoogleDrive.

I don’t know which one you mean but start by trying the one that mika posted rFactor 2 and Simucube 2

Sorry if I wasn’t being clear but that’s the one I mean, the one I’m using. Thanks again.

and your simucube settings ?

Sorry

when i want to find something wrong , i start with no filtering at all and i increase what i need accordingly. If you do not want to do that , at least start with zero ultra low latency mode and see if that helps.

1 Like

Good catch, ultra low latency mode can make the ffb control loop unstable.

It feels better now thanks, moved low latency back to 10%.

hi guys, I was playing rf2 after some time today, all good untill i selected the new radical and i lost the syncronization between ingame steering wheel and my phisical inputs.
I thought it was due to the car, but I tested other cars after that and had the same issue,
what could be the cause and how could I fix it?

Hello Guys. I have found close to real car settings. Just leave it here. Base car is BMW M2 CS. The main cars is road cars. But open wheels must be nice too. You can change it for your preferences, but as a starting point it’s great. The base is Mika’s json and then i fix some unstable values, while drive. Cerbs, braking, offroad! json files is awailable for download and video how it looks while drive.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1VfcE3YNX0Fsl2UaPMjdb-DzqEh4hebV-/view?usp=sharing
https://youtu.be/ISFmbBXOGX8

3 Likes