rFactor 2 and Simucube 2

Hi,

What steps have you done? Can you show what the rFactor settings look like?

It sounds like you may have the FFB reversed. Did you start with a new FFB-preset for the SimuCube system, and then edit your controls and save (export) to a unique file name? A generic preset (or none) will have the FFB working in the wrong direction (reversed FFB).

If you do any FFB-file editing, it should be done to the file you create, not the one named ā€œcontroller.jsonā€.

If you want to check your custom ffb-profile for proper FFB direction, search the file (using notepad) for this line: ā€œSteering effects strengthā€:-10000
Note that the minus symbol is the key to making the direction work as it should with SimuCube.

1 Like

I did some settings from game and from the true drive but still I have the problem. I downloaded the jas files of the simucube sport but still didnā€™t help. Basics thatā€™s what I did only. I canā€™t show you right now. But when il be home I show you what are my settings. Thx

Hi. Thx for your reply. This is all new for me and I donā€™t know really much from it. I edited the steering notepad thing to -1000 but still it persist the problem. I really canā€™t show you guys right now the problem as I am at work. And really canā€™t even tomorrow. But when I have some time I will show you some pics or video if I can about the problem Iā€™m having. But maybe thereā€™s someone that had this problem and know the fix of it. Cause itā€™s not easy to explain it properly. Itā€™s like you have to feel it. Thx guys

I have the same problem with my sport model.
Iā€™m using the following JSON file that was shared by nicsos123.

and my JSON file is here Download here

What I notice is that the wheel wants to go towards the left wall when you silghtly turn left and go towards the right wall when you slighly turn right.

set

ā€œJolt magnitudeā€:0,

ā€œOff-road multiplierā€:0.1,

ā€œSteering torque capabilityā€:17,

ā€œSteering torque zero-speed multā€:0.1, (important since you have at 1)

ā€œSteering torque minimumā€:0, (i donā€™t really know if ā€œSteering torque minimumā€:7.45058e-009, works or not for simucube 2 to tell you the truth)

ā€œSteering Wheel Bump Stop Harshnessā€:20, (or lower)

ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation Defaultā€:900, (i again donā€™t really know if you have to set that 1440 to match in simucube2 , a dev might know this but i think if you let it at 900 and you have simucube also at 900 it will be ok)

you can make a copy of your json with those suggestions , rename it to remember it and put it inside the folder: rFactor 2 / UserData / Controller folder , and then load it to test it. You can make a lot of files in there with various changes to test them and you can ofcourse load them on the fly when you are in game.

1 Like

Ok! In frustration I deleted RF2 from steam. I will install again and make changes before I report back.

Thanks Loukas

Iā€™m confused with this line in your Controller.JSON

"Steering torque minimum":7.45058e-009,

This setting is normally set at 0. Is there a reason behind you using that setting?

Hi Paul - I have no idea; to be honest I just copied what as posted above nicsos123.

Iā€™m not very technical in such matters so I donā€™t know what Iā€™m tweaking.

Iā€™m doing a fresh install now and will not change anything in the json file.

Do you have json file I can copy? Or should I just change what you and Laukas have mentioned above.

Download this json file from Mika https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv68vz8g7gq7lyk/Simucube2_rfactor2_json_files_rev3.zip?dl=0

1 Like

Download Mikaā€™s rev3 Controller.JSON file for your Sport:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vv68vz8g7gq7lyk/Simucube2_rfactor2_json_files_rev3.zip?dl=0

Then open that file in notepad, look for and check the following lines. Make changes to what is listed below if needed:

ā€œJolt magnitudeā€:0,

ā€œOff-road multiplierā€:0.1,

ā€œSteering torque capabilityā€:17,

ā€œSteering torque zero-speed multā€:0.1,

ā€œSteering torque minimumā€:0,

ā€œSteering Wheel Bump Stop Harshnessā€:20,

ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation Defaultā€:1440,

ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driverā€:false,

ā€œSteering Wheel Software Rotationā€:true,

Once you are finished, put it inside the folder: rFactor 2 / UserData / Controller folder. Do all of the above before opening the game.

Once you are done, you can load up the game, select this preset from the controls tab, map your buttons etc and give it a try.

Start off with a low FFB Multi (0.25 or so) and then increase the strength to suit your tastes once you feel that everything is working ok.

I think thatā€™s everything although itā€™s been a long time since I played rF2 so if anyone thinks Iā€™ve missed something or made mistakes, feel free to add or correct anything.

Good luck mate :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

This is the default setting for the simucube 1 and it also results to 0 minimum torque , but as i said i donā€™t know if it works for simucube2 or not.

This fixed the issue!

I still feel the the feedback is less than perfect the curbs are really strong and grip feels very loose when turning. But this is a good starting point.

1 Like

Good news. At least you are now up and running.

I do agree that the settings arenā€™t perfected. Itā€™s been a while but I do remember thinking that the kerb strikes were just a little too high for me and I also didnā€™t quite like the small sensation of the wheel pulling a little whenever the brakes were applied.

Iā€™m sure all these things can be fine tuned in the Controller.JSON file but I honestly never out enough time into it once ACC took up most of my SIM time.

1 Like

I have uninstalled all sims from my steam account and am happy with ACC, RF2 and dirt rally 2. Recenty Ive been driving enduracers GTR mod at Silverstone and its so much fun it should be illegal.

I still think the road feeling is a bit loose/weak when driving on straight. Hard to explain but the wheel doesnt feel heavy when you speeding down the road. The sensation of loosing the back end is also very limited. But the minute you touch the ripple strip or go off road the wheel comes alive. Iā€™m not tech enough to know what I need to adjust.

Maybe as profiles get mature we can get the ultimate experience.

i donā€™t have simucube 2 to help you with exact settings but i have some things that you can try.

If you lower the actual maximum torque at 9.4Nm in simucube2 tru drive software , make another test json with the same settings as the one you use and just change
ā€œSteering torque capabilityā€:9.4,
and see if you like it

i also use
ā€œSteering resistance typeā€:1,
this uses friction instead of damping , but i prefer it since i feel the back of the car a little bit better.

i also donā€™t like the software lock of the degrees of rotation , so i made some copys of the same json but for different degrees of rotation , for example if the car uses 540 i have
ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation Defaultā€:540,
ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation Default#ā€:ā€œDefault maximum wheel range to use when not read from driver, from 40 to 1440 degreesā€,
ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driverā€:false,
ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation from Driver#ā€:ā€œWhether to read the steering wheel rotation from the wheel driver, if possibleā€,
ā€œSteering Wheel Rangeā€:540,

so basicaly ā€œSteering Wheel Rangeā€ = ā€œSteering Wheel Maximum Rotation Defaultā€

and then i just also set simucube to 540.

you could try and just keep anything that you like. just remember donā€™t make changes on your controller.json directly , make copies and changes on the json files inside rFactor 2 / UserData / Controller folder

2 Likes

I used to be a physics designer/beta tester for a few sim hardware companies and wanted to share my rFactor2 settings. Try the json file as is and let me know how it feel and I can make improvements based on suggestions.

Deleted file.

Once you have installed the json file;
Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller

Open rFactor 2 and under control use the DETECT to load the Json file. Then map buttons as usual.

Simucube 2 True Drive settings:

General settings
Steering range: 900
Bump stop range: 900
Overall strength: 100%
Actual maximum Torque: 25.1 Nm (22.8 A)

Constantly Operating Filters
Simucube Force Reconstruction Filter: 1 Minimum, ā€œfastā€
Torque bandwith limit: Unlimited
Damping: 14%
Friction: 13%
Inertia: 9%
Static Force Reduction: 5%
Slew Rate Limit (Nm/ms): OFF
Ultra Low Latency Mode: 3%

DirectInput Effects Fine Tuning
Damping: 8%
Friction: 8%
Spring: 100%
Sine Wave: 100%
Square Wave: 100%
Sawtooth: 100%
Triangle: 100%

Bumpstop Effect
Bumpstop maximum strength: 40%
Bumpstop effect ramp range: 15%
Bumpstop damping effect: 0%

3 Likes

try these suggestions and tell me if you like them , i donā€™t have simucube2 to try them myself.

Made a few changes to the JSON file so Iā€™m Attaching another file and deleted the previous one. Most race cars have some type power, rack and electric steering, so Iā€™ve set the in-game car-specific ffb mult to 0.45. So, adjust that to a higher number if you desire higher torque levels.

Once you have installed the json file;
Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Controller

Open rFactor 2 and under control use the DETECT to load the Json file. Then map buttons as usual.

Simucube 2 True Drive settings:

General settings
Steering range: 900
Bump stop range: 900
Overall strength: 100%
Actual maximum Torque: 25.1 Nm (22.8 A)

Constantly Operating Filters
Simucube Force Reconstruction Filter: 1 Minimum, ā€œfastā€
Torque bandwith limit: Unlimited
Damping: 14%
Friction: 13%
Inertia: 9%
Static Force Reduction: 5%
Slew Rate Limit (Nm/ms): OFF
Ultra Low Latency Mode: 3%

DirectInput Effects Fine Tuning
Damping: 8%
Friction: 8%
Spring: 100%
Sine Wave: 100%
Square Wave: 100%
Sawtooth: 100%
Triangle: 100%

Bumpstop Effect
Bumpstop maximum strength: 40%
Bumpstop effect ramp range: 15%
Bumpstop damping effect: 0%

2 Likes

Changing the steering resistance type to friction made things better. I havenā€™t tried techdaddyā€™s settings yet. But this is a good baseline.

1 Like