Recommended settings on Raceroom 2020

so basically to recap, lower td and increase steer ffb force ingame?

Balance two.
Leave some headroom in Steering Force Intensity to avoid signal clipping and adjust TD strength to your liking.
For me at 75% Steering Force Intensity, TD must be at 100% or it’s too weak.
Some may not like it that strong.
S3 recommendation is to keep it around 80% for (weaker wheels)

To adjust the FFB strength I would advise to only change the ’ Steering Force Intensity ’ for now. On weaker wheels you probably want to aim for about 80% sustained force in corners, this gives you close to the maximum detail, but still leaves some room for bumps etc. before it starts clipping. On stronger wheels you should simply dial the Steering Force Intensity in to a point that you feel is a comfortable strength, which is pretty subjective anyway.

Which is not far from posted originally settings.

2 Likes

I think I’ll have to go higher than 50% in TD to try and get a good balance, as Andrew has said.

For GT3, 50% leaves plenty of headroom but I just gave the DTM 2016 a try and I was going over the redline on high speed corners. I had to take the multiplier down from default 1.5 to 1.1 to stop it.

Still some balancing to do then and I think I’ll end up compromising with TD around 75% and having to bring the steering force intensity down under 100%.

I’m happy though as I’ve actually enjoyed driving it for the first time in 5 months :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just added to the wishlist for developers :wink:

2 Likes

Andrew, here’s a little more information from Alex at S3 regarding outputs sent from the game.

“We can send sine, square, triangle and sawtooth. It’s become apparent that issues arrise with simucube wheels when we send square and sawtooth waves to them. Therefore they have been removed from the default profiles for simucube controllers”

https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/ffb-guide-december-2019.14067/page-29#post-201589

3 Likes

BTW, just checked default profiles for other DD wheels in R3E:

• MMOS (OSW)
  • SC1
  • Podium DD1
  • Podium DD2
  • Accuforce
  • Sim-plicity SW

They all have

FFB steer rack factor=“0.3”

So SC2 at 0.55 is rather unique deviation from the norm.

Good news

2 Likes

yes it is unique, because the developers took MY settings.
And alex is not totally right. the square wavetype is used for the flatspots on SC2 and works well.(much better than sine wave for flatspot, that i tested for him)

hi all, I need to ask a question regardin r3e in particular, but also how td works in general ; as far as I know, the di effects that are actually used by any sim are the ones with the active “baloon”, which for r3e are damper and square (or at least those are the 2 effects that have this mark once i alt+tab the game to go in td).
so in theory, just those 2 di values should have an effect on the ffb, but I find that also changing, for example, di fricition, di spring, di sinwave etc. I can feel the difference in ffb, even if those di are not marked as “active” in td.
why does it happens?
also, I read it was solved the issue of the extra strong wheel force while standing in pits, do I need to change something in di inputs? I tried yesterday to drive some laps in r3e but the issue with the standing car was still present.
last thing, I think now ffb for r3e with the latest profile and td settings is quite good, but the only thing that still bothers me is the feeling when, while turning the wheel, is like the ffb is acting in “steps”, I don’t have a smooth feel but it is like - for example in r30 at suzuka with the porsche gt2 cup car - I make the turn at steps, I don’t know if that’s clear enough.
thanks

1 Like

i do not know the answer for your first question but here it is for #2:
there is no “solution” for the extra strong feedback while standing, as there is no “problem”. the steering is intended to act like this. this effect was hidden before the last update and now works as on other wheels.
You have 2 Options to decrease the strength while stationary: You reduce your total amount of FFB in TD (i drive with 50%) OR you can go into your .rcs file and reduce the “stationary friction” until you like it. (0.1 = 10% of max FFB; 0.3 = 30% of max FFB)

1 Like

thanks a lot Martin, I will try to play with those values.
just one thing, I read you were talking about the effect of square wave and sawtooth in r3e ffb, so you can confirm those are actually used by the sim right? that should answer my question. then, why those effects are not highlighted in TD as active values, it is another story.
anyway, with steer effects at 75%, ffb gain at 100% and TD at 100% (which for me is equal to 17.1 Nm total having a SC2 Sport) I feel a massive improvement in feeling, much better than ever before. I still don’t understand though why I have a perfectly smooth feeling with cars like Formula2, and some issues with others, like Porsche Gt2 or some Gt3. maybe it has to do with the ffb multiplier?

The sawtooth effect which was formerly used for curb effect was removed and replaced by sine wave, as the sawtooth not worked with the multipliers correctly and with only 5% curb effect you could easily rip off your cable like i did. Therefore i suggested to replace it with sine.
A second try was to remove the square wave used for flatspots by sine wave. But this feels worse, so we still have square waves.
I would suggest to swap steer effects and TD values. this should be also 17.1Nm, but reduces the risk of sudden FFB peaks (jolts) and limit them on 75% of max available FFB. At the end you can fine tune with the car multiplicator.

1 Like

thanks a lot, wish you eneterd earlier this forum mate :slight_smile:

Yes, i know. But it takes lots of effort to cover all forums. The developers take most information from user reports in the sector 3 forum and the input from the betatesters and do not have the time to obey all forums from granite, thrustmaster, Fanatec and so on. I know that most people will feel like S3 does not care about the people, but with their small staff they only can focus on specific inputs.

1 Like

DI damper at 0% helps with stationary.
Seems like it is used in combination with simulated via ConstanForce friction (in rcs) for that resistance.
Simulated friction alone ia not that bad, but you can also lower it as well as Martin suggested.

1 Like

But there is more.
Just checked all other DD wheels profiles, Fanatec, Accuforce, SC1, etc.
They all have

FFB stationary friction=“0.25”

While SC2 has it at 0.5, which explains that steam roller like resistance.
Looks like as with Steering Rack Force more is not necessarily better.

1 Like

It was already lowered to 0.35, the 0.5 was an old value and nobody ever complained before, because the effect did not work before last patch.
In which cars do you find the effect too strong? It should only act strong in cars without servo steering.(and of course before turning on ignition in every car)
Maybe in some cars the servo steering is still missing

Thanks Martin. My from the scratch profile created on April-10th has it at at 0.5, but seems like there were some patches after and default SC2 profile has it at 0.35 as you said.
Surprised S3 did not adjust “FFB steer rack factor” as it’s still at 0.55 which doesn’t work that well for the majority of users.

They did not adjust the steer rack factor, as i am fine with it :wink:
As i said these are MY personal settings. And since i am beta tester for S3 and the only beta tester with a SC2 they use my settings. But it is good to get feedback from other SC2 users. This is why i am here.
If you are faster than me with different settings i will try them anf give feedback to S3

1 Like

could you share your TD settings Martin? that could be very helpful