iRacing and SimuCUBE

Continuing the discussion from iRacing and SimuCUBE:

What’s the deal with the new iRacing settings?
There seems to be some confusion (me included) as to what to set these values to.

This is what I am using (attached) and it feels about the same as it did, perhaps a little stronger actually.
But some say I need to set the wheel force to 20nm (small Mige) and the max force to whatever I usually use which is between 45-52 depending on the car.

But if my current ‘wheel force’ is set to 1nm then shouldn’t I feel literally nothing?
So it feels to me that this value is “min force”?

There’s a guy in the iRacing forums who is having his wheel way too strong and over volting and shutting down, so it’s important that this is understood because iRacing went and changed stuff without bothering to explain the new settings (hovering over a value usually has a description), or at least made them easy to find.

Appreciate feedback.

Figure it out, here’s the link to my post:

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3625747.page#11332638

Wheel force is so that if you use the Auto setting to set power for a car it will not make a setting that will BOOST your wheel above 1:1, so the Wheel force is only informational for an iRacing Setting System… If you never use auto then you can have it set anywhere.

Of course for it to work properly you do need to know your actual wheel force

David Tucker did actually explain it pretty well a while back…

So are there any positives or negatives to setting it to 20nm?

Or is it best to leave it at 1.0nm?

Only really need to set it if you are using the Auto setting within iRacing as a safety measure… I would just set it at 20 if you have a small mige and 28 if you have a large.

I have been chasing oscillations in open wheel cars since I got my Simucube. Last night I found a thread about a G27 forcemap and sure enough I found one in my iracing folder (forcemap.csv - must have put it there years ago!) and voila - smooth wheel. So this is how it is meant to be!!

I am happy, annoyed and feeling like a dumbass all at the same time. Hopefully someone else finds this when they need it!

OSW / Simucube / oscillation / vibration / mige

(cross posted to all the places I looked for help!)

Cheers Ben

1 Like

??

I take it you came from a G27 and this was a leftover file?
I can find no such file, but I’ve been DD since I began SIM racing on PC

Yes, I was using G27. The file is one of the tuning methods I had used in the past and long forgotten about I think.

Cheers Ben

The Force Map file is not on everyones system, it is only present if you have gone through using David Tuckers Wheel Check application to correct linearity of a previous wheel.

Thanks Brion.
I clean install every new major Windows version (I don’t to updates), so there’s no chance anything gets to sit around that long!

Hey @SKeijmel, just got my new OSW up and running using your latest SimuCube settings and I’m really enjoying it. Thanks for making the video! With my previous (Fanatec) setup I had been running irFFB and I’m considering using it again with OSW. What are your thoughts between using irFFB or just sticking with SimuCube?

1 Like

yes you can run iracing with irffb with no problem with the same settings. it adds more detail and smoothness to the ffb. at the cost of a tiny bit of lag.

irffb will be integrated into the simucube firmware lateron so there is less latancy when using it.

Well, its still going to have more than 20 ms lag if the 360 Hz data is played as-is, in order, to the servo drive.

1 Like

that’s why i still stick with the 60hz ffb from iracing but with rcon8 that makes it feel almost as good as 360hz. but still more jerky on kerbs and bumps dough the 60hz signal but thats the tradeoff in having lower latency ffb.

I have to say, that’s what I miss from the OSW that I get using the AccuForce with iRacing; loads of detail without any lag. Having the option to implement some telemetry-based FFB would make a difference, especially in iRacing and a few other titles. rF2, AMS, AC/ACC already offer plenty of detail but, it’s still beneficial to be able to filter them in various ways.

Having a layer of details derived from telemetry that can be filtered / smoothened separately would be ideal. It’s something we do with the AccuForce that adds tons of versatility in FFB. Also, the overall smoothing scale in SC4 is something like 250 steps, so one can really find a sweet spot in regard to details and front grip-loss feel.

With the added dynamics of the servo’s used with the OSW, it should be quite spectacular if implemented imo. Right now, going from the AccuForce to the OSW in iRacing, the lack of detail really stands out to me, the track surfaces feel quite sterile by comparison; closer to those in RaceRoom.

Of course, we get used to whatever FFB we use and accept one standard but, using both wheels does demonstrate to me where there can be improvements made. I have learned from using and tuning both systems and each has benefitted from the other in some way. I believe that there aren’t more requests for such features because few have experienced both systems in depth although, some may like their FFB very sterile. :slight_smile:

I guess it’s more that you can’t miss what you don’t know.
But I agree, telemetry based FFB information would be something I’m interested in.
That said, I’m not the best person to discus detailed FFB.
Have a great 2019, I’m going to build a DIY 3KW Motion-Sim-Rig :slight_smile:

well, according to David Tucker at iRacing, the telemetry packets are updated at quite the end of the 60 Hz loop where as the telemetry is updated at the end when everything is calculated. That means, that any telemetry-based effects are at least around 10 ms late compared to the plain DirectInput FFB signal. Saying that it is without any lag is wrong.

I see, thanks for the correction Mika. Being that the fine surface details are primarily what is being transmitted via telemetry in my example, I doubt that the lag would be a factor in any noticeable way. I’ve not heard mention of lag from those using the full Telemetry-based FFB (SC4) in iRacing either but, there are other effects that can be added such as Rear Traction Loss, engine-vibes, etc., that can also be useful.

Thank you for your consideration of possible additional effects.

@morOSWer very interesting to hear your thoughts on the telemetry based effects from the accuforce. My OSW is my first DD wheel but I did nearly choose an accuforce for the reasons you mentioned. In the end I went with OSW because I like openness of it and seems to have a great community behind it!
@Mika it would be great if some telemetry based feedback is on the roadmap. I know there’s a bit of a trade with with some latency but the benefits seem quite worth it to me. For example, with my Fanatec CSW V2 I was using irFFB in 360 hz mode. If I remember correctly this introduces ~30ms of latency. I could hardly notice the latency but I very much noticed the improvement in the FFB, particularly the smoothness and the communication of front wheel lock and rear grip loss.