iRacing and Simucube 2

My guess it is is Realistic BUT to the physics of the new tire… i would bet that it can be diminished or eliminated via Set-up and when the tires come up to temp…

I think what you are indicating as pendulum effect is the inbalance between front and rear grip. The new tire seems to take lateral loading MUCH better than longitudinal loading (or rotational loading) meaning that on Rear wheel drive cars it is VERY difficult to put the power down but the front tires grip like crazy when you are in the correct slip angle which makes it feel like you are tossing the back end of the car around and the back end is on ice… This means that over steering the car can result in this situation up to the point where you understeer but normally you will lose the back end before the understeer kicks in.

Now this is not to say that it is how the actual car is on the tires that they actually run and that is one of the HUGE differences in iRacing to real life as they effectively have their own virtual tires that just as in real life sometimes work and sometimes done… i.e how many times have you heard drivers in re life complain when there is a major tire change that the cars become undriveable or are out of control… Then they figure it out…

1 Like

Great, thanks, truly appreciate your answer!

Can someone or maybe @phillip.vanrensburg test V8 supercar at Oran park raceway as I have very rubbery feeling or spiky feeling. Kind of same as in Belle Island last week. I tried different filter setups but spiky feeling is there.

Is Oran as Belle island so bumpy tracks that you can’t really getaway those spikes. I’am using td D 25%, F 15%, I 25 %.ULLM 10%.FRF 4. Static and slew rate off. I tried slew rate at 0.22 and put 5-10 % more all D/F/I and FRF 5-8 and lowered ir force to 38-40(mostly drive with 33) but Don’t really like lighter wheel and it comes little bit too loose. Those helped but anyway can’t have smoothness with full power at all. Full force on td 25 nm.

And by the way vrs setup on my Holden if that has something to do.

2020.1 software.

Thanks Henri

Recon filter at 7 or 8 will help smooth/round the spikes but the only real way to make them less harsh is to limit overall power in TD so they can’t peak at 25nm.

1 Like

Henri,
I will test tomorrow afternoon AEST, if that is ok for you. I’ll let you know my findings…

1 Like

Thanks,yeah no rush. Monday is my main race🙂

Noniin.

I keep you posted :wink:

1 Like

If you are willing to try irFFB that helps.
It does come at a very slight cost of latency, but I would say not noticeable at the fast setting “60 hz direct filtered 360” & I even always prefer the “360 hz” for the feeling, despite the slightly added lag to that.

It is important to put your recon to only 1, using this. As that will maintain some details & will not exaggerate the output FFB, as it feels to me it does.

Combine that with lowering the maximum slew rate to as low as you are ok doing, to improve the feeling. If max slew rate is important, then keep that. But you could try at lowest & highest after each other too see the difference. Lowest feels best mostly, while highest can help you competitively.

Doing it this way(using irFFB & only changing recon & slew rate) makes it so you can use all other filters as you already do.
Just set all irFFB filters to 0.

If you are in it ONLY to win it, then by all means don’t add irFFB or lower the max slew rate. But if you are in it to win it “in a nice way 8)”, then I find these changes have a very good impact in general.

If you end up upping the inertia, then I think irFFB is prob. better no matter.
Inertia at 25% seems very high to me & will not be good to catch slides.

Sorry to always end up proposing irFFB, but it really can make for a dramatic improved feeling or as in this case, take those nasty digital spikes out to a very high degree.

Looking forward to other replys too!

Good luck on Monday!

I noticed irFFB a couple of times already and with the extra time on hands I tried it the past couple of days.
Yes, curbs feel a lot better when the are round.
Despite the better feeling it would crash on me after a couple of hours.

GUI crashes, engine process seems to stay active, but can’t change settings anymore…

So I’ll stay with the square curbs and a checkered flag.

1 Like

Thanks @kledsen info about irffb. I haven’t tried that. But as I mainly race Australian servers V8 and ping is already 366/400 and if latency increases, well I don’t know. But I keep my eys open. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sure thing Hotel12 8)

fwiw, it’s not latency that is added to the network latency.
It is only local latency between the game and your ffb, so it’s different & will not be made worse by you already having internet lag.

1 Like

iRFFB does feels great, I could never drive around the latency though, I was always a tenth or two quicker without iRFFB.

Right, I’m sure it hurts better drivers more than me & will make less sense.
I’m at the level where the tenth does not matter so much yet 8)

1 Like

Hi Mate,
Tested the v8 at Oran, it has pretty smooth sections, but also peaky/rough bits. See my settings below. Please note I have added a 800gram weight to my steering wheel, so I have a higher mechanical inertia, hence lower Recon Filter.

Also, I am not using Slew Rate or Static Force Reduction .

2 Likes

Thanks Philip, my wheel weights 1800gr but I will give a try with those. I drove yesterday and somehow it didn’t feel that peaky as earlier. And peaky is the right world. Belle Island has more peaky. Hopefully my new coming Sparco 310 will feel little bit different :wink:

All good, Henri. Yep, 1800gr is quite good weight, but you can perhaps experiment with added weight to add additional inertia and reduce reliance on electronic filters a bit.

But also something else, your car setup can be very different to mine, causing quite harsh ffb characteristics…on my Mustang setup, Oran felt like I remember it from years ago, smooth surface, but racing line/apexes force you onto uneven surfaces all the time, especially after you cross the fly-over bridge, right to the last turn before start/finish line.

1 Like

Yeah maybe it is vrs setup that has something to do as in Belle Island ffb was very peaky. But many thanks Philip for your effort. :slightly_smiling_face:.

Cheers Mate, you’re welcome :wink:

1 Like

This is probably a really stupid question, but how do you select to use iRFFB instead of Simucube, or am I misreading?

I’ve been struggling with feel since the NTM