iRacing and Simucube 2

I read all your post and understood i think in a correct way, but just to be sure.

If i set my SC2 Pro at 50% in the Software, what is the Wheel Force i need to set in iRacing? Do i need to match this value?

THANKS

The wheel force slider only limits the auto setting, so if you do not use auto FFB adjustment in iRacing, then it does not matter.

Excerpt from David’s post above:

Ok so is very straight gorward. I set in the Software what is the Max force i want to feel to not destroy my hands in an accident and then tweak in Iracing the Max force when i am satsfied while i am driving?

Exactly, that is the safest and the best way to do it.

Thanks both of you, very kind :slight_smile:

I should point out that there is one other way to look at the force feedback settings, well really one and a half other ways.

You can just set Max Force to the torque of your wheel, then you get a 1:1 output between the physics and the wheel. This sounds great in theory but in practice it tends to be a harsh experience.

This is for a few reasons:

1. In a real car you are bouncing all over the place with 1 g cornering forces trying to rip your hands from the wheel so you don’t notice how harsh the steering is relative to the rest of the noise. At home in a comfy rig you only have the violence of the wheel to concentrate on.

2. Our physics (and all simulator physics) does not model some of the little details that could dampen out some of the higher frequency noise so the force levels may be right but the feel is still too dynamic (like a hiss in a speaker amp you can’t remove). Take your own car to the track and try to hold a turn with only one hand and you will find it is difficult, even if it is not very violent. That is because passenger cars are carefully tuned to smooth out the feel of the road in the steering wheel. Most race cars of course don’t bother with comfort.

3. We don’t always get it right. We don’t have steering column torque data for every car we develop, but when we do have it we of course use it. When we don’t have the data we have to rely only on suspension geometry and steering rack ratios to dial in the torque at the steering column. That gets us close, but there is always room for error. I can say that I have spent some time comparing steering torque curves from real cars to the sim and they are surprisingly accurate. If you recreate the lap with a similar setup at the same track you can almost match it up perfectly bump for bump.

So the ultimate way to make this work is to set Max Force to a multiple of your wheels strength and leave it alone. Assuming that max force is above a reasonable threshold (a minimum of 30-40 Nm) you will be able to drive most cars without clipping and you will have dialed back on the roughness of the raw signal. This has the added benefit of being consistent from car to car and track to track (and setup to setup) so you can feel the subtle differences between all the cars and tracks. You do loose some fidelity here, but to be honest 10 Nm of torque in your hands is a lot of torque, dialing things back is not going to cost you that much in feel.

In this case you can forget about the Wheel Force slider, although I would still just set it to the torque of your wheel to prevent you from accidentally over-driving the wheel. And of course still use linear mode and zero out the min force and damping sliders in iRacing as well.

In summary, dial the force in the wheel firmware to the max you want to ever feel in your hands and set Max Force to 40-80 Nm and forget about it.

11 Likes

Thank you so much for your knowledge David,

Lately I was playing with Torque clipping notification and never eliminated the beeps, these SC2s are very sensitive! Back to the search&avoid red bar classic method

The device torque clipping notifications are nothing to worry about if you only get that on the hardest kerb hits etc. However, the feature is very useful when you play a game where there does not exist a suitable on-screen indicator/method. And it is meant for initial tuning, and should be disabled when suitable FFB settings are found.

2 Likes

I was trying to find the sweet spot in some cars “by ear” and focus on racing but always ended up with very high max force values and losing all the sensibility of ffb, whatever the force I put on TD.

At the end, best way for me is treat the beeps/redbar clipping as indicators of when the suspension has reached its peak, knock against the chassis lol

This!
We overthink settings too much sometimes…

Hello,

Thank you very much for all the information regarding how ffb system in iracing works, I always tell people to think that the max force is like a Dynamic processor for audio ( that expand or compress the telemetry in iracing context )… People always think that things have to be overcomplicated to work but it’s not always true.

In case you use an Sc2 ULTIMATE, can I share with you my ffb settings for Skip Barber 2k , Porsche cup, mp4/30 with some extra add on ?.

I’m curious to know what an iracing dev think.

Anyway I just use this replay to congrats with all iracing team.

Bye.

For about a week now I have been using irFFB, finding myself better than the default ffb. At the wheel I have the feeling of having more details.

1 Like

And the clipping meter is more useful (talking about iR) than a Red bar or beeps.
Raced last Daytona 24 with irffb and was nice, Hope Granite integrates something similar

Much thanks for this,
I tried this settings in the Mercedes AMG GT3 and only changed the linear settings too on,but this feels really good on my SC2 Sport.
This comes really close too how i think a car feels irl.
Thanks!

1 Like

I’m new to Iracing. Do you use irffb for Simucube2?

Try first without it, just Recon Filter to 5 or 6.

irFFB puts a delay to the signal and in my case i couldn’t even do it without recon at least at 1

irFFB is a software solution which attempts to do a similar things to the Simucube Truedrive filters which are an embedded hardware solution. Due to this truedrive is technically far Superior in flexibility and latency than irFFB.

People can subjectively feel and run what they want but those are the facts.

irFFB is still great and if i didnt have a simucube or wheel with advanced filtering i would be running irffb as i did for years with my CSW2.5.

1 Like

iRFFB works as intended with SC2s, its a great app since its capable to add New control bars to iRacing Basic FFB sliders, SOP and making changes on track are very helpful

anyone experience as soon as they hit hard in iracing and the wheel will go mis-alignment with the steering i can see in racing. This only happen in a specific car in my case Mx5. I have no any issue with porsche 911 cup and their setting is similiar.

Restart simucube2 too ( while iracing still on ) seems back to normal once i am back to iracing.

Anyone experience similar issue? what is the solution?

noob question, when i drive at high speed corners i feel slight oscillation on the wheel, how would i go to remove it or reducing it with the wheel settings?
below my current setting for the Dallara F3