High frequency noise

It’s kinda annoying, true. The bad part is that it wakes my missus as it travels through my Alu Rig and gets amplified on top.

Does anybody have a usable solution / workaround?

Are you using the latest FW already that supposedly has the fix for the noise? Other option is to use a FW from march/april that also had the original fix, or even an older one (2020.10?)

1 Like

Currently using the 2021 September build. The checkbox in the settings make no difference for me.

The only thing that helps right now is turning up the recon filter to 10 and lower the amps to barely usable levels.

Might try downgrading a few firmwares, but I’d like to wait on the October build first.

We are working on the new Simucube 2 firmware release, which will add support for new wireless wheel module. But it is likely not ready this month.

2 Likes

Yeah my simucube makes a sound like a metal “Slinky” toy.
I’ve started calling mine the “Slinkycube
I do wish this was fixable, but it appears to be a byproduct of the hardware design.

I once saw a cutaway view of the simucube and it looked like the copper coils were wrapped around the unit, picture a slinky, but much smaller and longer, wrapped around the center axel a dozen times.

Most of the time, you don’t hear movement of the coils at all, it seems like you need a “Fast Reverse force event” to cause the slinky sound.

The easiest way to reproduce this is just to set a hard stop in true drive and, without any sims running just turn the wheel as fast as you can until it hits the stop - I hear the coils “Slinky” every time.
(Another way to reproduce is to load up your favorite go-kart sim, as they ALL seem to make this sound with every single turn of the wheel)

@Bernhard_Berger thanks for the tips on recon 10+lower amps I’ve also had good luck by turning the slew rate to the minimal setting - I wonder if some combination of recon and slew rate reduction might allow for higher force (amps) in your case.

Just curious, if you turn the recon filter to 10+ don’t you lose most of the FFB detail?

imho, it (at least with my sc2p) sounds more like a metal cable hitting a flagpole

Has anyone tried to move from an Aluminum mounting solution to a Steel/Wood based one? In my case the Aluminum frontmount and especially the aluminum extrusions really amplify the noise.

I then removed the SimLab front mount, took a 80x20 Aluminum extrusion, mounted the official SC2 mount on it and it was MUCH quieter. Still too loud for my wife not complaining at night, but way better.

I suspect with increasing the mass further (thinking about a 6mm - 10mm stainless steel mount and ridding myself of the aluminum on the rig alltogether) and additionally decoupling the SC2 from the mounting solution via some kind of damping solution it could become relatively silent.

There is another noise related post for a reference.

Seems to me that some units with otherwise same settings and mounts are just noisier than others.
May be Mika can shed some light on this.

If I had to guess I’d say while there might (or might not) be minor differences in noise it probably comes down to how they’re mounted.

And for full disclosure: I own a used/second hand SC2 and I have a very unlucky combination of a very light weight and minimalistic aluminum rig that’s additionally decoupled from the floor which helps resonant frequencies even more. In my constellation it’s mainly down to my construction. Yes, there is noise - but in my case it’s heavily amplified of my own making and I’m just looking for ways to get out of my situation.

If it’s just resonance of the mount, try to dampen it with something like Dynamat, that should remove buzzing/ringing effect.

What True Drive version are you running?

Latest. September 2021 build.

Looks like Rev1 bases are under investigation with current firmware

Running a Rev2 though

1 Like

Btw. I managed to get rid of most of the noise by decoupling the motor and screws from the mount using 3/8" (~8mm ID) rubber seals (Gummidichtung) between the motor and mount and mount and screw-head and drilling out the mounting holes on my sim-lab mount a bit so the screw’s don’t contact any metal anymore. A 10-pack of rubber seals runs around 2.5€ here, so may be worth the investment.

It isn’t gone, but it doesn’t transfer to the rig as badly as before and it’s WAY quieter now. If you tighten it enough there is absolutely no loss in fidelity either.

Noise levels are down from “unbearable and waking the house” to “you can hear it, but it won’t distract you”.

If someone has a source of rubber isolators for M8 screws I’d appreciate a link. Stuff like that is available for HDD decoupling and other small applications like that, but anything >5mm ID seems to be absent on the market…

Not sure about shipping situation to EU and if this exactly what you want but 3/8" ID is M8. I got some for seat isolation, rubber is very dense and hard.
https://izzy-usa.com/?page_id=12485

@Bernhard_Berger,

these here should fit:

This is basically what I’m using.

I’m however looking for some rubber sleeves:

Does the Ultimate make the same noise as the Pro version? If so, I’d be inches short or selling off my kidney so my wife stops complaining and lets me race at night :rofl::sob:

1 Like