Forza and Simucube 2

Does FFB also work that way?

Yes It works, FFb signal is sent to the selected steering axis.
Not so fancy because 45⁰ of deflection to each side of the axis, but all constant force and DI effects are there.
Then you can map the ±Y axis to throttle and brake and that axis has no ffb, dead axis without spring

Ok. So it would work at least in iRacing. How about all other games?

I Can try AMS2, AC, ACC, BeamNG, ATS, RBR.
I’ll post my results tomorrow.

I have tried and it works in all the games that I have mentioned above.

Justa an example running on BeamNG:

The logitech Ghub installer.
I have good experience using x360ce convatering.
I drive along
Simucube 2 Pro.
Heusinkveld Sprint.
Usb adapter mode Fanatec Handbrake.
and usb wheels

add e.g.
Forza Horizon 4
Forza Horizon 5
it works great for me.

Many games detect the device type by the number of FFB axes. In addition, Windows is probably doing this internally for PID devices, etc. (as SC 2 and MS Sidewinder). The games work, but they see the device as a joystick, not a steering wheel. Most likely the WGI/DI code in Windows also depends on that. So, it’s not a good idea IMO. @Mika

I agree, it would be a weird way to circumvent the issue. And full “stack” of FFB code would have to be developed on the device side, especially for handling the effects, as games / Microsoft driver expect valid answers to all effect creation / deletion stuff via the control endpoint on the USB. At least iRacing will just hang if I block control endpoint from device side.

2 Likes

How Forza EmuWheel goes around that limitation?
Also seems like Moza devs found work around too as it can work directly with Forza titles.

Forza Motosport (8) comes out Oct-10, would be nice to have some sort of solution when it’s released.

1 Like

Would be even better, if they support DD wheels.
Radio silent from them about this topic :frowning:

1 Like

Even they will add DD support, the title looks more like “hit 5 billboards while sucking a lollipop to reach level 2” thing. I already can see the conversation: “should I add more friction, so that the lollipop won’t hurt my mouth this much?”

Part of the insights from this link:

Car levels and unlocking upgrades
Forza Motorsport completely changes how the franchise’s progression and iconic car customization works. Gone are the days of buying a car and upgrading it using credits with car levels taking its place.

The ability to equip parts is now unlocked by leveling up your car with each car reaching up to level 50. You earn XP on a car every time you partake in practice or finish a race in it. Additional XP is earned for clean and fast racing. This adds an RPG-like aspect to Forza in a way that is rarely seen in racing games.

Somehow all Fanatec DD wheels are officially supported.
https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/4409263414547-FH5-Supported-Wheels-and-Devices

Fanatec has an official Microsoft license, and they have Xbox-based drivers for their wheel bases.

The list posted above has lots of wheels marked as “PC only”, so it doesn’t look like XBox licensed driver and security chip are a requirement for proper support.
What is “official Microsoft license” and how to get it?

namely, all of these wheel bases have a dedicated device driver that offers the Windows.Gaming.Input.RacingWheel API. One can only get the driver/device side state machine descriptions and documentation by buying into official licensing agreement with Microsoft.

Last time we heard (second hand information), its around 500k USD.

1 Like

Secondhand information? Perhaps MS may negotiate a deal based on established / projected sales volume or other criteria to provide support for smaller companies selling specialty products. Of course, they may refuse but, why not ask? Sometimes, asking the right questions intersects with a rational and fair-minded person and things actually work out. :wink:

2 Likes

no, microsoft is not a fair company if you don’t have a very big wallet.
i hope one day this company burn.

And we all switch to Apple. :joy:

3 Likes

Linux old boy, Linux :rofl:

Business is never fair, it either is profitable or not. And having enough money to get something is nothing other than being able to pay the asking price. @Andrew_WOT mentioned Apple, and this fully justified, because it’s a terrible lock in scenario, something you can’t really say about Microsoft

1 Like