Forza and Simucube 2

From memory mapping controls including OSW or SC2 worked even before, it’s FFB that was missing.

Thanks, I didn’t know that. But if I understood the initial posts here correctly, this should work now?

Would you by any chance know what I might be missing here @logos ?

Unfortunately I don’t have Windows10/11 installed on my gaming PC. Using exclusively Linux SteamPlay/Wine for sim racing now. I have Win 10 installed on a VM for development purposes, but it’s not capable of running GPU intensive tasks, as games, etc.

Looking more thoroughly into that Moza article, they mention using some sort of “Forza compatibility mode” in the Moza software. This could be installing a device driver, that emulates a Xbox racing wheel, etc. Similar to what vJoy+EmuWheel does.
If this is the case, then probably it’s still not possible to use directly a Custom Wheel profile for FFB.

The wheel needs to be enumerated as a Windows.Gaming.Input.RacingWheel by the UWP subsystem, otherwise it won’t be recognized as an FFB device by FH4/5 in the Custom Wheel Profile. Wine’s W.G.I. implementation is doing exactly this. It enumerates all DirectInput devices (with one FFB axis) as racing wheels, so they are visible to UWP apps like FH4/5.
In Windows, MS choose to include only the Xbox compatible wheels + a few others. W.G.I. requires a fixed button layout, which is probably one reason, and of course licensing :slight_smile: could be another.

Moza mentions importing a “DefaultRawGameControllerMappingProfile” into FH5’s “inputmappingprofiles.zip” file, which doesn’t require the “Forza compatibility mode”. So there is still hope that MS have actually fixed that bug with single FFB HID PID devices. Otherwise it would still crash when choosing the imported Moza profile in-game.

If GD and MS have an agreement to put official support for Simucube devices in FH 5, then it should be possible through this method.

1 Like

Thank you for the explanation, although I’m unfortunately not familiar enough with the topic to fully understand everything : )

Simply put - is there a way I could import this “DefaultRawGameControllerMappingProfile” as you mentioned for my Simucube devices using the mentioned method? I’m just trying to understand if it’s worth trying/looking further into before I invest more time.

Either way, thanks for your help again!

Great explanation, I still suspect there could be a way, if you check Option 1 “Configuration File”

It does not need Forza Compatibility mode

1. Turn off the MOZA Pit House “Base Forza Horizon compatibility“ option.

You only copy mapping file and DefaultRawGameControllerMappingProfile and ContollerFFB-xxx, the latter one I guess allows FFB, but it’s Moza specific, perhaps with some modifications you can make it work for SC2, Mika posted all the GUIDs earlier.

Unfortunately I’ve completely lost interest in this title, like in a week, so no interest to go back. But definitely looking forward to new Forza Motorsport, hopefully SC2 integration will be more user friendly.

1 Like

Yes. Moza seem to recommend this method now for FH5, so it should be possible.

@markusm8
You can follow “3 The first way: Adding configuration file” from the guide Andrew_WOT posted above. SC2 Pro’s VidPid is “0x16d00d60”. This should replace the Moza VidPid-s in “DefaultRawGameControllerMappingProfile.xml” and the corresponding “ControllerFFB.ini”. This whole procedure involves modifying game files, though, which can potentially crash your game.

Mika hinted at contacting the game developers about this, so IMO better wait for the result, before spending more time on it.

Thanks @logos and @Andrew_WOT - I had actually experimented with exactly that in the morning but couldn’t get it to work. I used the VidPids for Simucube 2 Ultimate and Simucube ActivePedals from @Mika 's table.

I basically renamed the identifiers throughout the two files - am I maybe supposed to rename the actual file names as well, or should I just leave them as Moza uploaded them? I tried theirs and ControllerFFB-0D5F16D0 for the .ini but neither worked using the .xml with the altered GUID strings

When you go in-game, do you see a Moza profile (or a non-custom profile) in the wheel configuration?
The profile should appear if it recognizes the devices, or at least the primary device.

I had experimented with this when I bought the game, by changing the primary device on one of the Fanatec profiles, from a DD1 wheel to CSPv3 pedals (which I had connected) and it appeared as a non-custom profile IIRC.

If you want to be sure the files are in the correct format, just use an existing profile from “inputmappingprofiles.zip”/“wheeltunablesettingspc.zip”. For example Fanatec DD1 wheel with CSPv3 pedals. Just change the VidPids to SC2 Ultimate and ActivePedals. The profile should appear on the wheel configuration screen with steering, throttle, brake, clutch, etc., bound to the devices.

Make sure you have copies of the original “inputmappingprofiles.zip” and “wheeltunablesettingspc.zip”. You can also restore the originals by verifying the game contents from Steam.

Thank you @logos - I did not see the Moza profile show up, I will try what you suggested with a Fanatec profile. I assume I will have to adjust the respective .ini as well, is that correct?

EDIT: I think I know where my issue is - I probably have the wrong VidPid for the SC2 ULT:

Simucube 2 Pro | 0x0d60 | {0D6016D0-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}

Simucube 2 Ultimate | 0x0d5f | {0D5F16D0-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}

Simucube Link Hub 0x0d66 {0D6616D0-0000-0000-0000-504944564944}

@logos - you mention that the VidPid is 0x16d00d60 for SC2 Pro, did you somehow derive this from the link Mika had posted? If so, could you please let me know how to do the same for the Ultimate and Link Hub (ActivePedals)?

The VidPid for Simucube 2 Ultimate should be “0x16d00d5f” and for Simucube Link Hub “0x16d00d66”.
Just concatenate the USB Vendor ID and Product ID. :slight_smile:

Thank you so much :slight_smile: I’m looking forward to giving this a shot later!

No success, with the correct VidPids the game crashes on startup. If someone else gets this to work, please let me know how : )

This seems like the original Win 10/11 behavior, from what Mika and others have said. There is a bug in Windows.Gaming.Input with HID PID devices with a single FFB axis, that causes crashes.

Did you let your Windows 10/11 update itself?
There must be an update that fixes this bug, otherwise the first method from Moza’s article shouldn’t be working, IMO.

I fully updated my Windows 10 first, and there was no fix for the screen power saving not working when a controller was connected. I also updated to latest Win 11 build, and there was no fix. Then I updated that win11 build with whatever was available from Windows Update, and only then the screen power saving started to work again. So, it seems that for at least that issue, it must be Windows 11 and that it must be the latest build and fully updated.

We reported the issues (crashing, screen power saving not working) at the same time, so it could be that the fix was in the same patch for Windows 11.

Thank you for those insights @logos and @Mika

I’m running Windows 11 with the latest updates, even the optional ones found under Advanced Options.

There were 2 different kinds of crashing behavior btw - it would either ctd right after the black screen with text, or ctd when the title screen shows up. Usually it shows Press Enter but instead of enter it was showing a square box. This happened with the Moza profiles I altered and with 2 different Fanatec profiles I tried as well.

I did notice that the first CTD happens when VidPids from not connected devices (i.e. Moza, Fanatec) were left in the files, after changing them all to 0x16d00d5f I got the start screen and the second crash scenario. Could be a false positive though, I also encountered immediate crashing after launching a few times.

As soon as the altered profiles are removed the game launches normally again.

Is there a way to add a dummy ffb axis in the simucube drivers if only one ffb axis crashes the windows driver stack to work around this problem?

If moza got their wheel to work with forza, maybe that’s what they’ve done?

Also, xml config file that was given by moza was mal formed, can check it with an xml parser.

That sounds like a lot of work. The Microsoft supplied device driver would then send all ffb things for each axis where as all effects and the data parsing code in the firmware is made for single axis. It would be several months of work.

Ok, I’m not familiar with the force feedback code. I thought it could’ve been handling at the very top where microsoft is sending the ffb things. If the axis is not the real one just ignore it, otherwise pass it along to the effect/data parsing code in the firmware.

There’s probably a lot of complexities that I don’t understand. It would’ve been nice to have an simple work around.

yeah, well the usb interface would show up as a two axis FFB interface, and I don’t think any games are able to interpret that kind of interface to an FFB wheel. Alhough, I haven’t tried. Lots of unknowns in that route.

2 FFB axis are for flightsticks like the MS Sidewinder FFB 2 and works like a charm if I plug that joystick to my PC and configure to play iRacing.
Just map X axis (or Y) to steering and ready to go