F1 2017 crashing after upgrade

Thanks for posting here. I think we all very much appreciate your efforts! :+1:

Hi Tamas,
thanks for the update - do you think that this issue exists also in F1 2016, as this behaves similar, sometimes it crashes when the lights turn green sone after a few seconds, and if yes is there a possibilty to fix this game also? Iā€˜m usually driving Dirt Rally (>1000h) but I would like to race in Monte Carlo and Baku again.

Regards

Guenther

OK, it seems that the problem was in fact the same that we had just recently with the SimSteering firmware.

We get a status report from the driver, that directs the code to recovery mode continuously recreating the FFB effect. Since we donā€™t have this with any other devices using the same code path, I think its a Firmware problem of SimuCUBE and SimSteering.

The exact techical details in the following lines of code:
HRESULT result = DI_OK;
result = m_device->GetForceFeedbackState( &ffbState );
if ( (ffbState & DIGFFS_STOPPED) != 0)
{
// FFB effect stopped
ā€¦ recovery code ā€¦

and recovery did we run, all the time, which might have confused the driver and/or clashed with the input side of the device.

F12018 will come out with this condition handled(ignored), but Iā€™m afraid fixing it for F12016 / 2017 is on the table of the firmware developers of the problematic devices, as our support cycles have ended. Please keep in mind that I donā€™t have a final say on this, this is just my technical understanding.

2 Likes

Yes a firmware fix would be the best lets hope that part of code can help:) some part of it may be a firmware problem too since other wheels donā€™t have it.

But its weird when the game runs with ā€œLowā€ fps it doesnā€™t crash.
the ffb is still messed up dough. so maybe this helps:)

Rest assured, that you can not judge the FFB from this broken state :wink:

1 Like

Hi

It will be interesting to know whether this worked on MMOS, and if it did what has changed?

We have decided to take further detail discussion to email as per Codemasters request.

From what Iā€™ve heard, things did in fact work with MMOS, but up to the point of crash, I didnā€™t see any functional differences in the USB packets being sent either way. The content of the packets were somewhat different, as the SimuCUBE firmware specifies different number of buttons and axises, though.

2 Likes

Hopefully it will all be situated can we at least get to feel what it is like to be behind these amazing machines

i hope it will work properly soon, than i can make a new video :wink:

We have possibly found a cause for the crash, but definitive fix is still something that needs further analysis.

1 Like

is it on the game side or on the simucube side or both :smiley: ?

That needs further analysis.

1 Like

In light of the fact that in six days a new F1 season starts, any sight on that fix?
Iā€™m used to follow the races by setting my best time at the current track and they are only available in F1 2017 :frowning:
I know there is a workaround, but a working fix would be great.
Thanks for an update.

Some other developers have reported similar behavior last week. I plan on investing some time to catch USB log with a working device (MMOS or other), so that I have a clearer picture of things.

Things are MAYBE pointing out to some change in the Microsoft Visual Studio (2017 version) libraries, which cause some thing to happen in non-standard ways, and that most of the commercial devices also work in non-standard way. If this indeed the case, which I will see when I get the USB logs, then I know what to do and how to imitate that non-standard way.

However, some developer has emailed us that something else simucube-related thing must be made first; the damping effect does not work in the way that is possible in DirectInput, where as it still works in a way iRacing and Assetto Corsa seem to use them. This is on the top of the list to do (Monday-Tuesday), then USB debugging, also the open source repository setup should be setupā€¦ Busy week coming.

1 Like

Thanks for the extensive update Mika, much appreciated.

22 days have passed, so I thought letā€™s have a go and ask if there is an fix in the works?
One can always hope right?
Thanks in advance.

Investigations are ongoing, although I havenā€™t had time to study any debug logs. I will do it after I get the next release ready. However, there is a pressing need to get the open source repository readyā€¦ and in the midst of this, Iā€™m already having to work overtime with my PhD studies as-isā€¦ Iā€™m a bit disappointed in myself, but its a lot of workā€¦

Thanks Mika, much appreciated. I can only imagine the work it takes putting all that code together, must be immense. Keep up the good work, Iā€™ll keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you for your hard work, I was trying to enter the esport series but its not happening with this setup currently :frowning:

Donā€™t push yourself too hard.