Automobilista and Simucube 2

OMG soo embarrassing. I thought I tweaked a little but I found out I didn’t. sorry for the convenience.

Ha no worries, FaHaD.

I’m confused about Automobilista’s FFB. I just saw a video of Niels Heusinkveld where he lowered the MaxForceAtSteeringRack value in the RealFeel.ini file so that FFB is just about maxing out at max in-game steering force levels (peaks aside). What doesn’t seem to make sense is that Niels’ in-game FFB is set to 50%. Lowering in-game FFB seems to have a similiar if not identical effect to raising the MaxForceAtSteeringRack. That means Niels’ true MaxForceAtSteeringRack is way higher than what he set it to in RealFeel (exactly double if the in-game overall force is 1:1 inverse).

hi all, not strictly related to ams but : there is now Game Stock Car Extreme - also by Reiza - on sale on Steam; I know it is the predecessor of AMS, but anybody knows if it is worth getting it to this day? Being a huge AMS fan, I am quite intrigued by anything made by Reiza.

I wouldn’t bother, AMS has everything that GSCE had.

1 Like

Nope. AMS is GSCE. GSCE just kept getting more updated/improved over time and that’s what AMS is. Buying GSCE would be like buying AMS twice except one of the copies you bought would be a very old build of the game and therefore missing lots of updates/improvements.

1 Like

I wouldn’t be so sure about that… I honestly think gsce performs far better than ams1 in many aspects

1 Like

hi all, anybody knows ho to enable auto steering rotation on AMS1?
here is Niels Heusinkveld testing SC2 with AMS1, he just set True Drive rotation and had any car automatically set to the corrent dor ingame, therefore I guess it needs some values to be edited into game folders.
cheers

You need to calibrate the wheel in game, first you do full lock then 90 degrees.

there is no way of calibrating the wheel in AMS1, I think you mean AMS2.

Subscribed, just bought AMS1

So far steering feel is like. Rubber band. Will try everything mentioned in this thread

Would I be crazy to try AMS1 now (4/4/2021)? AMS2 seems like it’s getting better and better, but I know many still consider AMS1 to be the ultimate driving experience. Niels just did a video on the AMS1 VR mod, which got me thinking I might try it out. If it’s worth trying, does anyone have some recent FFB settings to share? I’m still searching for my “main” sim after finishing my sig rig about a year ago. I have the most hours in AMS2 thus far, so I guess that’s my “main” but it’s still very much in development, so I was thinking of honing my skills in something not being changed as often (i.e. AMS1) while AMS2 is developed a little further. Trying out new sims is super fun, but without the help of the community in providing setup/settings, it would be impossible, so thank you for your time.

Well, I went ahead and downloaded AMS1 since it really wasn’t all that expensive given discount. However, I can’t seem to get FFB working properly on it. Feels all wrong, almost broken. Do I need to download the controller.ini file above or something?

With AMS1, you want to be sure to try the “360 Pure” ffb preset. The other presets tend to utilize more damping than you probably need. Otherwise, my SC1 settings for AMS1 are similar to most other titles, so I wouldn’t expect much different for SC2.

AMS1 ffb is among the best, only bettered by rF2 (imo). It doesn’t take much to get good results with that title. It’s generally considered to be about as easy as it gets. AMS1 does all the work. :wink:

Thanks for the response! I will double check that I’m using the 360 Pure setting, but I’m pretty sure I am. I wonder what I’m doing wrong because it definitely doesn’t feel like it should. Do you have strength of SC1 set to 100% in wheel software, and then change FFB strength in AMS1 based on the car? I’m hoping to get the FFB dialed in because AMS1 runs soooo nicely in VR!

As a general rule, I run the wheel strength high enough (55-80%) to avoid clipping while setting the game ffb-gain between 35-75% but, it depends how strong you like the force level. In AMS2, I only need to run the gain around 35% / AMS1 is probably close to that. The signal output may vary from one title to another.

If you put in the time, you should be able to strike a good balance between SC2 power output and game ffb-gain. The goal should be to avoid clipping and maintain details but, also to not be dangerous in extreme cases.

Hi, the files above are obsolete as they were referring to an old build of ams.

These are what I am using now :
Controller.ini.txt (45.0 KB) remove .txt extension and copy/paste its content into the Controller file you find into Doc/Automobilista/user data/your player name (never edit the file with the same name you find into the base folder).
True Drive profile : Automobilista_2021.04.07_23.49.ini.txt (886 Bytes) as before, remove .txt and import it into TD.

Some important things to consider :
1 - ams has not an implemented auto rotation function, which means you need to alt+tab to TD and change dor for every car you drive (you find the correct dor in the setup menu)
2 - the 1st time you assign left/right inputs, be sure to use the same rotation you set into the Controller.ini file on the " Calibrated wheel rotation range="x" " row
3 - a few rows above that parameter, you find "User Steering Wheel Range=“x” // Degrees of rotation defined by the user for the steering wheel" ; this value is set to 270 as default, I assume it was done to accomodate older wheels back when it came out. anyway, you should always set it to half the value of " Calibrated wheel rotation range=“x”, since it reads the max rotation for each side left/right. as you can see in my Controller file, the values I use are 1080 and 540 but you can also go for 900 and 450.
4 - the clipping values are set into the RealFeelPlugin.ini you find in the base folder (/steamapps/common/automobilista); there you can see that each car ingame has its own entry and its own value for "MaxForceAtSteeringRack=x". as you can read here https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/automobilista-how-the-ffb-works-and-what-is-new-about-it.45/ this value can be raised or lowered if you experience clipping for a certain car; this should be done empirically by looking at the MoTec telemetry of that car and look for the peaks reached by the car, but with some trial and error you can achieve a non-clipping situation.
5 - ams ffb has a max refresh value of 360hz, although if you experience any kind of stutter you can set it to 180hz with a minimal loss of fidelity. also, ams ffb is very sensitive to fps, I capped it ingame to 120fps despite I can easily achieve 144+ fps to avoid any stutter.

As you can see, it is not an easy sim to set up, it is built on the rFactor1 engine and it shows every bit of its age, but despite that the driving experience and the ffb it delivers is still very much brilliant imo.

Ask me anything else if you need to

5 Likes

Thank you so much! This is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for! I look forward to playing around in AMS1. With the recent VR mod, it runs so well on my 1080Ti GPU, and doesn’t look bad either! @NielsHeusinkveld Put together a great video of the VR plugin, and I’ve been really impressed with the results. It’s insane how easily I can achieve 90FPS on my HP G2. I think I will probably be spending some time in AMS1 while I wait for a GPU upgrade to be attainable…maybe until 2022 at this rate lol. It will be interesting to see how the driving feel compares to other more modern sims. Still searching for my main sim after a year of experimentation.

Huge improvement using your settings! One more question for you since I am still a bit confused on the FFB strength as it relates to the RealFeelPlugin.ini MaxForceAtSteeringRack variable:

Should I leave TrueDrive overall strength at 100% always (as typical with most other sims), and also leave FFB strength in AMS1 at a fixed amount (like 70% per your file), and then only adjust the RealFeelPlugin.ini if I find the FFB to be too intense or weak for that car? Or is there a different way I should go about adjusting overall FFB strength in AMS1?

Thanks again for your time. The game is definitely playable now and the VR performance is addicting!

1 Like

I use td at 100% and 55% ingame, than adjust realfeel for each car…I suggest to try with increments of +/- 100 on maxforce

2 Likes

Just bought this as its only a few quid and I’ve done the setup as you detailed above then took the caterham 620 for a blast round cadwell park.
Wow, fantastic fun! Night and day better than AMS2 in that car at least. Great work, thanks :+1:t2:

1 Like