Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

May be shoot your own short clip demonstrating what exactly you mean, so your explanation makes more sense. We have Kunos dev Gergo frequent on this board, he certainly can look into the problem if it exists, but so far it looks like you are the only one affected.

IĀ“m not explaining well.
What Aris is showing is that the components of the car are reacting to the irregularities, as example, the kerbs. ThatĀ“s fine and the reaction affects to the steering wheel, in SC and in DD1, but not the 100% of the movement, because in the middle exist the damping to reduce the impact.
The problem that I point out is that in every curve the vertical forces are not filtered, sometimes over kerbs and sometimes without kerbs. When the car is passing fast for the apex and the tires are on their limit the vertical forces are not filtered or reduced.
The best example is in Silverstone 8 curve (Luffield), taking it out of the kerb, I feel the impacts in my left hand (kerb is very low and is in the right).
I will try to do a video to explain it better

In seconds 5 and 8, the steering wheel has small impacts that are moving my hand.
The car is not touching the kerb

Not sure what weā€™re looking at here, bumps during cornering?

I have tried your settings that you posted above and if you consider that as an improvement itā€™s either your device that is broken (or the device youā€™re trying to compare against) or your perception of steering a car, I donā€™t see how we can help.

Some % of damping in the driver (or ingame, whichever you prefer) can help mimic the weight or self-damping of the steering rack if you find it too direct but thatā€™s up to the hardware and the player what they prefer. Maximum should certainly not be the way.
I donā€™t see any SC2-specific issue here (or any at all), and we also donā€™t consider other sims as a point of reference.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot,
You are right, my initial question was if bumps during cornering were intentional in ACC after 1.8, because with my previous tspc I didnĀ“t feel them and neither in other sims.
So I was trying to supress them but if you say that they are correct I will deal with that, leveliing damping to be enough comfortable to me.

Sorry I am late to this topic.
Did you also tried with the DD1 and ACC Version > 1.8?

I think in general itā€™s not productive trying to suppress the FFB to the level of lesser wheelbases. If you want to have Logitech/TM level of FFB you are better off using them insteadā€¦ I recommend embracing the more detailed and powerful FFB that is possible and try to adjust to it before making drastic setup changes. When using DD wheels (whatever manufacturer) you can be quite sure what you feel is more or less what the game engine wants you to feel.

But of course if you changed your wheelbase and upgraded ACC to new version at the same time confusion may be warranted.

Yes I tried DD1 after 1.8 and the dumps was not so pronuncied as in my SC, but I canĀ“t confirm if it was correctly configured, the owner did not touch the driver of ffb configuration after updating.

Usually with my TSPC ACC was very plain when cornering, I was expecting something similar with my new SC but your very right Nrde, two big changes at same time have a dificult diggestion

Then the main question:
Dumps in cornering in real GT3 cars are real or not?

Which track did you make the video on?
Iā€™ll try it myself later: smiley :.

As far as I know, bumps can always occur even when cornering. ACC and iRacing simulate the condition of the track in good detail.

Silverstone with Ferrari 488 evo and cold temperatures, cloudy weather
I raced a lot in iracing with the 488 GT3 in Silverstone and never felt those kind of bumps

Of course every sim is different and I like this differences if they are intentional.
The 8th curve (Luffield) does not have dumps in the reality and in the scanned tracks, same in ACC than iracing but the dumps seems to be the result of the tension between asphalt and rubber.

Hello there! As others are pointing out I think comparing your experience on a TSPC to a SC2 is kind of futile. Presumably you upgraded to a direct drive wheel to obtain faster responses and greater fidelity amongst other reasons, so these details you are experiencing are part of that evolution in your hardware and the software. You will have not felt these on the TSPC as it was simply not capable of producing them.

Of course what you like is completely subjective and if you donā€™t want all those details in favour of a smoother, more dampened experience that is totally fine. Perhaps try first with a much greater Reconstruction Filter value of 5 or even higher before added Constantly Operating filters such as Dampening and Inertia.

4 Likes

Ok Panky, Iā€™m using your setup, in Zolder the Porsche is nice, difficult, marvellous, excellent.

Thanks to ACC and SC for bringing us these experiences

2 Likes

iRacing updates FFB only 60Hz, ACC 400Hz. So basically when driving fast/when car moves fast iRacing FFB is not fast enough to communicate everything that the track may have. Driving at 100km/h means iRacing 60Hz FFB updates every 45cm. (to simplify a little)

So iRacing missing something doesnā€™t mean itā€™s right.

5 Likes

It makes almost 0 difference above a certain rate, itā€™s just for dick measuring for users who have nothing else to live for. If it did, they wouldā€™ve increased it by now in their 50+ years of running.
Where frequency matters is high-freq components simulation, such as springs and dampers, where iRacing already runs on a higher refresh rate too if Iā€™m not mistaken.
Even sims that run higher frequency donā€™t update every single element on every tick, it has to be optimized.

1 Like

Is it normal that my SC2 Pro base ignores my 900deg bumpstops and disconnects if I spin and take my hands off during the slide? My wheel turns like crazy and then I can hear the connection sound of the base and I need to restart the game after that, because ACC isnā€™t recognizing the base anymoreā€¦

So you are saying iRacing FFB is as good as ACC despite running only 15% of the ā€œresolutionā€? Or did I miss something.

What was the reason upping it from 360Hz to 400Hz then in ACC? Better to tell Aris about his dick measurement also :smiley:

Check your power supply is properly connected to outlet. I canā€™t think of any other reason than it not keeping up with sudden power requirements from the base.

I donā€™t think itā€™s normal.

As I said, the physics thread running at higher frequency has its benefits for simulating components where it makes a difference, particularly sprung parts and damping, which is exactly why we did it.

But without knowing the physics engine in detail, throwing numbers around is meaningless. A higher number does not necessarily translate to a better driving experience, unless, again, we wanna follow the my daddy is stronger sentiment. Itā€™s unlikely that frequency alone will make or break your perception of a simā€™s driving physics and FFB compared to another oneā€™s.

Comparing these numbers as layman users to determine which sim is better is pointless, Iā€™ve recently read a forum post where a guy simply listed physics frequencies of different sims as a factual order of superiority, not to mention how questionable the authenticity of this information might be, and how meaningless it is without being familiar of how itā€™s actually used and which parts of the physics actually refresh at those rates.
Bit like the simulation value in AC1, that was a stellar experiment.

1 Like

as Italian, I laughed a lot when I discovered the AntaniGain :grinning:

1 Like

I thought it was kind of de-facto at this point that iRacing FFB is more notchy compared to ones that update FFB more often and to make it smoother itā€™s good to add filtering/interpolation to it. And that notchiness make the feel sometimes more authentic even if it isnā€™t.

The comparison with the measurements comparing ā€œinferiorā€ FBB to ACC I got directly from Ariā€™s stream, so maybe it was only marketing talk then.

Also I wasnā€™t comparing which simulator is the best, only that FFB having or not having something doesnā€™t mean it is or isnā€™t correct and expressed why there could be a change in the FFB feel. I donā€™t even drive iRacing.

Also simulation value should be kept at 100% always, someone should suggest that the value could be set to more than 100% in CM to Ilja so that the base game could be even better.

2 Likes