Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

It’s not about being happy with the painting - it’s about accepting it’s limitations.

Having done a few bits of signal processing myself - the output is always limited by the input. You can fill in some of the gaps, and you can add something of what you think should be there — but ultimately it’s never as good as proper input. It’s mostly a fool’s errand to try and make good out of rubbish or not-all-there data. There’s no filter in the world that can make up for what is lacking.

It’s all about expectation management. That’s why I don’t get all these people banging on about filters saving the day — there’s only so much they can do. There’s no magic potion.

3 Likes

Nobody’s asking for any magic potion. We also agree we cannot fix all shortcomings of the input.
I don’t agree to using it as an argument for not pursuing any filter dev. that can help us improve our experience, and I would not call it fool’s errand to find & use these and ask for them being present & in good shape.
A guy posted before in the other thread he’s missing the dynamic dampening from his Podium DD experience, for example, as that had made a good difference for him. Is that a problem that he would like that? I view it as an opportunity.

But we can disagree and that’s fine :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I just tried it, unf. did not make a difference here.
As soon as I go above 80kmh it’s just a spring that wants back to center. Not connected/planted in any way. I turn the wheel fast towards center & the road is not there.
Damn.
Maybe you have something of importance different in your controls.json file, would you mind sharing it?
It’s located in the “Documents\Assetto Corsa Competizione\Config” folder.
No worries if you don’t or your time does not permit.

Mate i find it hard to believe that you do not like the ACC FFB. I have not spent too much time with it lately as its content is not my cup of tea, but as far as i remember the FFB is superb. In the beginning i thought it was disappointing, i couldn’t feel the road/car at all, but after testing various settings i found it to be amazing. I ll try it again later on tonight (check the spring issue above 80km) and give you my thoughts.

Ok awesome, thanks!
As I have posted earlier I am sure that I prob. can force myself to spend enough time with it to get used to it. Only this has taken longer than any other sim for me so far, unf.
Really want to get in to it!

@kledsen https://pastebin.com/r7pxr1bp is the controls.json file. Hope it helps. It really does sound like something is janky for you, so I hope you can get it resolved.

Let me know if you need anything else and I’ll do what I can!

1 Like

Thanks shortspecialbus,

Unf. it seems the same as mine.
I will try a complete destruction of my install next.

Thanks again.

There is param in json file with weird name.

1 Like

Suzuka is flat as glass if you are using that one.
Try to raiise road effect to see if you like it. I have it at 10 I believe.

Right, I did try that too and prefer up to even maybe 30%.
Unf.doesnt help my springing issue.

But thank you, I am now at complete reinst. hopefully will test it later today. Crossed fingers…

@SuperMonaco_GP antaniGain in your wheel setup json.
I personally haven’t used it but it should control understeer similar to AC.

1 Like

Ok, jumped at it & gave it a go.

Still “bad”, springy.
Assuming is NOT just a matter of taste, one thing I can think of is that it actually feels like the input from the steering wheel is being read by the game with either a high lag or at a very low frequency.
It is one thing where there might be a chance for some difference between our setups, possibly, somehow, I guess?

No matter the game dealing out at fast 333hz rate, if the input is very lagged I could see why the spring feel and some more abrupt feeling too could be there and all effects still feeling as they should on top of it.

No idea if this is possible, just a thought… I was in VR & did not pay close attention to the wheel being in sync with on screen or not…

mate, the word “antani” is a joke in italian, it comes from a famous film of the 70s, “Amici miei” :slight_smile: I guess it’s the same as “Simulation value” in AC, another joke parameter made up by Kunos when first early access players were complaining of the “simulation value” of the sim

2 Likes

Pretty sure unlike simulation value it works, at least based on forum feedback. Funny though, thanks for the reference. :rofl:

1 Like

ok just checked, it is set to 1 by default and it has 0-1 range…

Went further ahead to minimize the input lag.
Found quite some chats talking about input lag issues, although not sure directly connected to my issue of the ffb feeling in any way.

Made the game run with low visual settings to run high fps - still in VR, rift s, so limited to 80hz.
Added some settings to some UE engine.ini that supposedly lowers input lag.
Adjusted TD settings to get closer to my liking, more friction.
Set gain in game to ~35.
Feels better, but far from my cup still.
That sense of absolutely no connection/unplanted at 80+ kmh is still there & I honestly cannot see myself breaking through that wall.

Still I think it could very well be some input weirdness that’s there for some of us, so hopefully somebody posts that something like that is resolved at some point in the near future.

Enough of this from me. I’m out of this thread, as this game’s FFB is one spring too far for me(on my rig at least) :slightly_smiling_face:

Does it even work I wonder.
Some reference

Probably worth checking on a monitor over VR — to understand where the lag is (I would expect VR to be way more laggy) (if you have an nVidia card then you can turn on the advanced fps stuff — it shows the output lag)

When you say you just feel a spring do you mean a constant spring towards 0 degrees of rotation or do you feel the weight transfer, undulations in the track, and kerbs causing the “spring” to change force?

What are your TD settings?

Hey NuScorpii,

Well, not feeling just the spring, but as you describe, the various effects do cause offsets to the spring. I’m not sure if it’s just my taste(& others) that differs or it’s something causing it to really feel different from you guys that are happy about it.

I stepped away, but if I remember correct I ended up something like:

Overall strength: 100%
Dampening: 5%
Friction: 10-17%
Inertia: 0-3%
Force reduction: Tried interval 0-20%

Prob. more inertia will make it feel better, but at the cost of it being less controllable in over-steer situations.
I will try more of that inertia tomorrow & also try various settings messaged to me & then post back the settings here for a final ping-pong on it.

Thanks for trying to help me out here!