Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

so which sim do you like the most in terms of overall ffb and physics? just to understand what type of feeling you are looking for

Which sim’s ffb I like the most is not so important, I think(it’s rf2). The physics part alone might be fine or even great in ACC. I wouldn’t know how much of the ffb comes directly from the physics.

When I say “not important”, I simply mean that none of them feel anywhere “real enough” for what a DD wheel should be able to provide. Maybe rf2 comes close on certain cars, but even that still requires the use of good filtering settings.

The important part is that none of the other top sims throws me off like ACC does.
ACC’s spring feel is like nothing else & kills it harder for me than the rest. Other sims are nowhere near perfect/real feeling, but I did with relative ease get used to them.
Not so with ACC, unf.

I will give it some more time & see if I can get used to it, since I do WANT to like it. Also am sure that I would appreciate some OTHER parts of the ffb and the physics model itself, if I can just get past this 1st blocker. But man I wish they would kill that spring asap.

I use the “standard” ACC profile in TD but with 100% Overall strength, in ACC, ingame FFB to 25%, Dynamic Damping 100%, Min Force 0.
It is not that I don’t have detailed effects, there are tons of detailed effects - but they do not resemble reality. If you have a setup that would change that I am open ears. I’ve been on racetracks with sportscars and also with smaller formula race cars. As a longtime simmer, I always paid extra attention on wheel forces in order to know how different situations with different car types (do I have powersteering, ABS, slicks or street tires) feel like. So I have a baseline how to set up the sim equipment to come close to this.
So far I get the closest with rfactor2, AC and iRacing… not so much or only partly with R3E or AMS2 (I may have some bias there as I do not trust at all the physics engines they use, especially AMS2).

2 Likes

Add on: There is also another reason why I basically quitted on ACC, the decision to use the unreal engine for a race sim was probably the dumbest ever. Performance is so bad, that even my rather highend equipment gets around 65fps with medium details on triple 1440p, whereas other titles like rfactor2 (around 150fps) and iRacing (around 170fps) run like a breeze.

3 Likes

td def profile for acc is over dampened and with a too high recon filter.
try the one i posted or even better the one from pankykapus.
also, if you haven’t already lower road feel to zero.

2 Likes

I have the pankykapus settings with 5% damping (from his later post) and in-game gain 18 - 20%, TD 100%. It takes a little getting used to but the FFB is subtle but very communicative. Like many others, I would like to know how ‘real’ it feels from an expert perspective. In comparison, RF2 now feels a bit over the top, like the difference between grip and slip is exaggerated?

1 Like

The resistance (SAT) increases with slip angle, exactly as you are describing. Why do you think this is wrong, real cars behave the same way?

Well, prob. right, but it simply does not feel connected.
In real cars like even minis and model 3’s the feel is MUCH more “connected”. You FEEL the tyre-road connection on turning the steering wheel much more. It might not be a good description, but the best I can do. On more common family cars you feel it less. In ACC this feel is then even less than that. At least to me. As said before also when returning the wheel to center from a high angle, forcefully, at above ~80kmh, there seems to be no Tyre on the road at all. It returns 100% freely, no matter how fast I turn the wheel.
It’s simply a spring feel.

I’ve been driven in RL Audi TCR car, just finished building and tested BMW325Cup car and will participate in next year BaTCC. Also got on podium(1st place in 6h endurance race with Honda Civic TypeR). And i can tell that 99% you feel with your body and steering wheel is just for steering :slight_smile: So no point in wanting to get RL car feel in sim. You just need to get right car feeling in sim, not the comparable feeling to RL car.

7 Likes

Super good point.
IRL information comes from all different inputs, not just steering wheel. So each and every sim has its own artistic way of translating these non steering wheel effects into force feedback.
So saying it does not feel like real thing is pretty much stating how all sims feel.

BTW, tactile, if you don’t have one yet, can fill some missing gaps.

2 Likes

that’s the main misunderstood thing in sim racing, there is no such thing as “real life force feedback” for the simple reason that there is no such thing as RL ffb. .

1 Like

To me feeling “realistic” means that the steering wheel generally should feel realistic at its core, before effects are added in.
Then come the effects for whole car immersion on top, balance/weight transfer, bumps etc… I personally prefer some of these effects on top of the general steering wheel feel.

But when it comes to ACC the general feel of the steering wheel is springy in a, to me, non-realistic way (as you know by now 8)).

For me it’s very hard to associate with what you describe, sorry.
Just another proof that FFB is very subjective and perception varies across individuals depending on their background, personal preferences, and expectations.
I do not believe there is any magic profile formula that can change that, reason people have different favorites.
Afraid we have derailed ACC SC2 settings thread significantly already. Perhaps ACC support forum is a better place to bring issues like this into discussion.

3 Likes

People complaining that force feedback doesn’t feel like real life need to realise it’s akin to complaining a painting doesn’t look like real life. It’s a curated and often exaggerated version. Be happy with the painting.

It’s important to remember that real life is far less dramatic than offered by our sim wheels. Plus, nobody is going to give you “real” force feedback - no manufacturer - because it’s mostly the input that is lacking - games don’t give out enough or the right info at the moment.

1 Like

to be fair, the only complain I have for acc ffb is the lack of understeer feel on the limit as it was on ac1, tried to raise and lower dynamic damping but the sweet spot remains at 100%, any other value feels wrong to me, don’t know if someone else have other opinions or suggestions about it

1 Like

I see no reason we all have to be happy about any particular painting.
We all agree this is down to each sims FFB more than any wheel base or settings for it. It’s why @Andrew_WOT suggested the discussion about how ACC itself feels bad/good to us, in general, should prob. take place in the ACC support forum instead and we “liked” that suggestion.

But before that we did try to make it feel better to me through filters, as I unf. cannot make it feel “ok” enough for my liking, by means of using the various settings in game and in TD.

It def. is true most/all sims don’t produce “DD quality” FFB signals yet. We don’t expect any manufacturer to be able to fix this fully, but it is why the filters are there, to help it feel better.

@kledsen I had similar FFB problems in ACC that were putting me off the game. I ultimately uninstalled and re-installed from Steam and it solved it entirely. I have no idea why it worked, it really shouldn’t have since file validation came back perfectly good from Steam, but I got the suggestion from a forum somewhere and tried it myself and it fixed it. The issue I was having sounds really similar to what you’ve been describing, with like an almost binary on/off transition between various things and horrible jankiness in general.

I’d suggest trying that, even though it shouldn’t make any difference at all. I didn’t even clear the settings or wipe the profile, just uninstalled and reinstalled to the same location.

3 Likes

@shortspecialbus,

Wow!
Ok, will set it to do that, I can’t really ruin anything :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for letting me know!

Early adopters maybe?
My ACC install is there since day 1, must try because im feeling the same full spring force

@kledsen I make no promises of course, but it may help. I’ll wish you luck!