Assetto Corsa Competizione and Simucube 2

From what I wrote:

As for “non communicative” that’s a very subjective matter. I can tell you from Gallardo ST real life that you can feel the slicks and their weight through the wheel, and when they are at certain angles on the track, they kind of rock back against you, so if you are turning quite tight and on the limit of grip, you get this combination of scrub and a rocking action against your hands. And, you can feel changes in the road surface. It’s not constant rumble and vibrations, but you can definitely feel it. An analogy would be like running your fingertips over fine sandpaper while wearing thin gloves.

Finally, when weight shifts over to one side of the car, you can really feel the weight of the loaded wheel and how it contrasts with the unloaded wheel.

So, while it’s absolutely true that your other senses are critical in feeling the car, and the limits of grip on the track, there is definitely feedback coming through the wheel, and that becomes all the more critical if you are not using a motion rig.

My issue with ACC is that it feels like I am driving a hovercraft with wheels. I am not asking for “realism” I am asking for more of an AMS2 / rF2 feel in the wheel. Heck, I would even prefer the original AC feel.

The car slides and I am left guessing about what I can do about it. You can clearly see from the second video link above that this is not how it should be. You don’t need a perfectly realistic rendering to achieve an accurate steering response. rF2 and AMS2 are doing a much better job of communicating what’s happening with the front tyres and when you are understeering or lose the back end. If you are happy with your ACC experience, great. I’m not, and I want to see if there is anything I can do in TD to get my money’s worth. I paid as soon as it was in early access and I bought all of the DLC.

p.s.

That depends on what your definition of sport in motorsport is supposed to be. GT3s are built for rich guys to have standardized competition versions of their supercar collection. Secondarily, they are built to market the higher performance street legal variants for the respective brands, and to reinforce the prestige of those brands.

LMP2 is a different story. Yes, there are AMs who race them, but they are purpose built race cars with an emphasis on sport. You absolutely want it to be a big physical and mental challenge for a driver to triple stint Le Mans or Spa or Sebring.

Have you ever seen Mark Blundell’s 1990 Le Mans qualifying run? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lMItc4cy8U

To quote Alan McNish, a modern (racing) sports car’s geometry is based around power steering.

So, this is not about having the stiffest and heaviest possible steering reflecting some notion of “reality.”

This is about precision and the ability to feel enough of the front wheels to put the car exactly where it needs to be. ACC is vague. You see-saw the wheel and feather the throttle until the car comes back from a slide. That’s not how it should be.

Add things like the ridiculous no consequence downshift and rev limit bounce mid-corner that ACC sim racers do, the easy treatment you get from gravel traps, and various other nerfs, and, for me, it ruins the potential of the product.

2 Likes

Un piacere anche per me! :slight_smile:

Gergo posted the same comment about the “real driver” on here as well.

What’s really important is the detail. The driver probably meant that the 0% is too reactive meaning too light compared to the input force he is used to in a real GT3. I.e. you push with a force_x and you are used to the wheel moving degrees_y1, but with 0% it moves degrees_y2.

And as I mentioned above, the issue is not how heavy the wheel feels. GT3 (and GTE) have power steering to make it easier for “Gentleman Drivers” to hold the car stable in high-speed corners, and minimize the number of high-speed accidents in endurance racing. That’s why 74 year olds can drive Porsche RSR in Le Mans.

If you think about it, it is very simple. A multi-millionaire wants to spend 35 minutes on the Le Mans track, driving 310-330kph, including 280kph turning right at Indianapolis, with >3 “Gs” centripetal force. What a sensation. But if that becomes so tiring it’s dangerous, you don’t want that guy unable to keep the car on the track. An LMP2 or GTE into the barrier at 280 - it’s game over for a 74 year old guy and it’s 2h of clean up, not good for the sponsors if everyone changes channel.

Power steering also allows weaker drivers to overcome the effects of the steering wheel whipping around in your hands, in response to the front tyre movement. The first time you “clatter” a kerb in real life in a racing car, if you are not ready for it or not strong enough, the impact of the front wheels on the kerb can rip the steering wheel straight out of your hands.

That’s why I use 100% Strength on my SC2 Pro - I want the 25Nm headroom and not have some kind of reduced reaction of the front wheels when they are in contact with kerbs. The power steering helps to control the car.

Power steering also allows for very fast movement of the wheel to the correct position for opposite lock, so this is very desirable.

However, this does not mean that power steering = low feedback.

1 Like

Hi P_C,

I can understand your frustration…

I also come from the “real” race track (I used to race in homologated FIA races series across Germany and Europe on e.g. 964 RS, 993 GT2 etc…up to a factory 911GT1 for training purpose). and I decided a couple of months ago to do sim racing……(too old for the “real” race track and no more money after divorcing…LOL)

And like you I spent many $ on my rig, triple monitors, several bass shakers/ amps etc… and even a new PC w/ RTX 3090 and I too would like to have a “race feeling” similar to the time I was racing.

But first of all, don’t forget that Sim racing is still much cheaper than even an average Honda civic…LOL…Basically it is the same cost as only for the tires that you use during a couple of weekends of racing at a middle level…

And don’t forget that the goals of people sim racing can be very different. Many sim racers just want to be fast on the virtual track. Other sim racers want to have a good “realism”. But at the end this “realism” really depends on your personal experience (certainly depending on the cars that you have driven (but also on the mechanics/ race teams you were racing with) but also on the tracks that you have driven (and how many hours in total per track) and last but not least the level of competition you were involved. Not sure which FIA license you owned and which FIA race series you raced). And you can give the same car (here a GT3 race car) on the same race track on the same day/ hour etc…to two different racers – but that are racing at different level - and their judgement will be very different. So many variables therefore for judging “realism”.

And like in “real” car racing, it will involve many trials and errors so that you really have to “play” with all parameters that you can change. Simucube/ GD and the people here in forum can only give you some hints I suppose for your case.

In my case, I take it “easy” (it is just gaming at the end and I just started to sim race a few weeks ago. And I moved to this continent of North America where “easy” is a rule sometimes…LOL) but I am already quite happy with my settings in ACC with my SC2 Pro/ SRB GT3 wheel (look at my settings above if you are interested). The cars nowdays are different than the cars I used to race with but I get the same “race feeling” than at that time (not the same lap times however…Can’t have everything…LOL). And that’s the most important with me. But again this is a very personal judgement.

So there is therefore hope for you …LOL…

Tony

4 Likes

Tony, first of all, Vielen Dank for the reply and the settings. I tried your TD and ACC settings, and in my opinion, the Gain is a bit high, so I dropped it to 75% and adjusted the Damping and a few other things to get it to a sort of GT race power steering feel.

My conclusion is that the game just does not model physics or deliver FFB the way that rF2 and AMS2 model and deliver. When I get a bit of snap oversteer IRL, the correction is muscle memory and you just feel the car responding, you know what I mean? In ACC it’s just some long slow spin that makes no sense to me. I really don’t know how to describe what’s missing. On the one hand it’s got many good points and is very immersive, but the moment I lose the rear or have understeer slip, it just reminds me that I am piloting some kind of box with modeled connections to the road. Then I jump into rF2 and - wow - the difference is so immediate. It feels like something I can drive and not have to try and guess what’s happening. That’s really the only way I can describe it.

You are completely right that sims are subjective, and they kind of have to be. Because my goal is to prepare for the track and not pick up bad habits (like aggressive downshifting in corners), I have pretty much made my own decision. I am about to add 4 x actuators to my rig, which already has a NLR V3, and maybe I will progress towards 6DOF, but then again, I just saw the new 911 Cup. :slight_smile:

Alles Gute!

Hey P_C,

I have tried the rFactor 2 and ACC, the difference of FFB is huge! I enjoy much more driving a GT3 at rFactor than ACC, because honestly ACC’s FFB feels empty to me, I can catch slide easily in rf2 versus ACC I can’t catch a single slide lol, just like what you said the feedback on ACC feels vague. However I see people in here also said that ACC has the best force feedback, I am so confusing now lol. Did you try another simulator that give you the same level of FFB like rf2? Thanks!

1 Like

I have sent you a PM :wink:

1 Like

Just done some driving in Rf2 (on the AM V8 GT3 - the same car I’ve been driving in ACC for a while). Previously, I found the FFB in Rf2 ‘better’ than ACC, but after trying it again today I’ve got to say the ACC FFB feels more subtle and communicative than Rf2. I’m using @pankykapus settings in ACC. It is all very subjective.

Really mindboggling how people have so different experiences or expectations, when I increase gain to 40% ingame, I get the steering resistance of a stationary Lada 2105… Makes me wonder if we’re driving the same thing even.

Also struggling to comprehend when the details are said to be missing, in my experience all the nuances are there and the wheel guiding your hand on small undulations is also a thing.
The slow-speed slide by the way is already a sign of not driving the car properly, that’s not an FFB thing, it’s a driving error.
The jolts and rattles we know some people are looking for would usually be a sign of a broken suspension, not a realistic way of modelling a front end. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Hi Guys,
i’m a noob who is just starting out.

I have been reading through the all thread, and basically tried everything, but i just can’t get one simple thing to work the way i would imagine “correct”: i would expect that when driving over kerbs i should feel over the wheel a rather clear vibration, but i basically feel absolutely nothing.

I have a Simucube 2 Pro. For the rest i’m enjoying a lot, it’s just the “kerb” thing which i don’t “get” at all, and it really is strange i believe.

Thanks a lot.

post here your configuration in TD and in the game, it is not possible not to hear the kerbs, maybe you have the power supplies not connected well to the base

There you go. i can feel very well if i put wheels on grass, but i feel almost nothing or nothing on kerbs, especially at higher speeds.
Also, wheel lock is not something that i properly feel i believe.

with road effects at 30% you are completely override all ffb details, kerbs too. as said multiple times, also by acc devs, on dd it should be set at zero.

1 Like

I did try but didn’t have the impression it made any difference. That’s actually why i turned it up.

I’ll give it another go anyway, thanks for the input.

Has your .json file (that controls FFB) ever been edited? One option might be to:
if you are on PC, go in to \Assetto Corsa Competizione\Config folder and delete the ‘controls.json’ file … if you want to start again (with game closed of course).
I believe this will make the program produce a new default .json file. I’ve not tried it myself so be prepared to have to reinstall ACC if it doesn’t work, but at least the latter would rule out any other coding problems.
EDIT: one thing to try first though - sometimes I think the Controls options page can be a bit buggy (in my experience) and if I change a parameter, if I don’t save it as a profile, then reload it, it changes back to what it was when I exit that screen. So try putting road effects to zero (or very low value), save that as a new profile, reload it, then try.

This makes me wonder whether the software i’m using to control my motion platforms (next level V3 and traction plus) might have actually messed up something over there, kind of sending some data to the motion platform instead of the wheel.

I’ll give it a look and investigate, in case of re-install it’s no problem i’m just starting out.

Thanks for the input.

Try lowering the recon filter to 2 instead of 5. I can barely feel the tire scrub effect at all with a recon of 5.

hi all, since I just reverted to the offline td fw, could somebody currently using the online beta fw share here the profiles uploaded by Kunos for ACC? I remember there were a couple available…cheers

Did you have any luck tracking these profiles down? I’m still on offline TD too, but would love to see how my current settings compared to the ones supplied by Kunos.

Hi no I’m waiting for the official release before using again the online td

Thanks for that. I’ll need to get myself up to speed on the date of the official release. I was a little reluctant to try the Online TD software incase Iessed something up with my wheel base.

1 Like