Assetto Corsa and Simucube 2

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
For me it is the most stable, smoothest, has all the features, simpler to use, and do not require online subscription.
Plus GD is redesigning their SW anyway, no point to switch over to something that will be abandoned for another version in the near future.

1 Like

What version is that ?

2021.9 is the last before big FW rewrite that also supports Classic.

1 Like

No TD version requires online subscription. I have no idea why you keep saying that every time you have a chance to do so.For a new user there’s no reason not to use the latest version of the software, but if everything is working with their current version no reason to upgrade either.

Also almost? everything “classic” is currently in the latest version. Not sure for what a “classic” version is still needed in your opinion?

You should chill your activism, Beni and Loukas asked me a question, they got my answer.
When they ask you, you can provide yours.
I don’t think myself or anyone else on this board need your permission on which version of the software to use.

I agreed with you that there’s no reason to upgrade if everything works, same as you. But you just keep parroting the same false info that newer TD versions require online subscription which is not true and never was.

It requires online registration, which is a subscription in my book.
True, it also has offline mode, but it’s only meant (per Mika) as a partial functionality backup when internet is down, and you still need initial registration.
If that was changed recently, I don’t know, do not keep track of what happens with Paddock, nor do I care.

Another thing, if you take a look at available for download SC2 documentation
User Guide still covers only Classic version, which makes one wonder how new comers are supposed to learn software and if GD sees Paddock as transitional, soon to be replaced option.

Paddock functionality requires registration.True Drive does not. If you want to give people advice or info, at least give them correct information.

Offline mode works surprisingly well for a partial functioning backup as I hadn’t used / didn’t use it in over a year. Actually I used it today first time this year and the year before, just to check one profile some youtuber talked about. I had to login/register.
Mika has been quite open about the future of the software, or at least as open as one can about a distant development of a software project.

Yes it’s really sad there’s no refreshed user manual for the paddock functionality, the manual seems still be accurate for the “classic” part of True Drive though. But I never read that manual either, so I don’t know.

1 Like

If TD gets replaced or merged with the pedal software isn’t decided yet, afaik.
While in the early stage @Mika mentioned there would be most likely a combined, all in one solution, it actually could also be there are separate UIs.

But why should a Simucube owner not learn about TD, which will be around for at least many months? And whatever solution will come, the part for the Simucube 2 will be as good as the pedal part. It doesn’t make sense to provide super pedal software but crap for the DD. Plus, understanding what damping, friction and everything else delivers, changes, can, can not, all is important to know about, here and now.
@Andrew_WOT, when you say 2021.9 (or whatever version you actually use) is better, smoother than the latest versions, that means you actually compared them?
I assume you don’t have stored your profiles in the cloud, or you also don’t use paddock profiles. In this case you don’t have to login/register. While comparing you must have learn about.

It can be combined or separate, but Mika mentioned few times already that it’s completely new code base.
Looking forward to it, hopefully it brings improved filters like long promised Recon v2, and new features, perhaps even telemetry based FFB, otherwise what’s the point of all this work.

Do you expect the new code will have totally different filters then? Or basically the same ones, but programmed absolutely different, working not at all how they are at the moment?

Maybe this software will come hand to hand with a new hardware, who knows…

But it still has to serve the existing hardware, I’m not worried tbh.
If it doesn’t, the existing solution is absolutely ok for me. Like @Andrew_WOT wrote: don’t fix it if it’s broken (although he meant it maybe differently).
If we, as customers in general, always pressure for new releases we also risk that we finally end up with something overtuned. Best would be a perfectly programmed game, where the FFB is just perfect, and we leave it untouched.
There will be always new hardware, regardless of what products there are: DD manufacturers have to sell new products, steering wheel guys aswell, pedal dudes also

Yes, its a completely new code base.

We are now evaluating on how to proceed with development. We would very much like to get some new features and improvements for Simucube 2 in the short term. Porting the new code base to the Simucube 2 hardware seems to be a rather huge task, so lets see what kind of roadmap we come up with.

2 Likes

Interesting, but is it doable?

If you say it’s difficult to port the new code to the Simucube 2, are you talking about the pedal code combining with the Simucube 2 code?
Or do you say that the new hardware code itself is a difficult thing to make it work with the Simucube 2?
That it will be an absolute new code is something we know from beginning of this thread. What we don’t know is if you have written something for the Simucube 2 already, regardless of what type it is, standalone or combination.

@Andrew_WOT: what will you do if the outcome is also the end of the version you are using? And it’s something that makes registration mandatory?

The pedal uses different microcontroller manufacturer, of which the low level drivers are made with completely different ideology than the drivers that were used on microcontrollers used on Simucube 2. And the software must be able to still utilize the “old” bootloaders, those we cannot risk re-flashing in firmware updates, and the bootloaders use different API for firmware updates. And there are also other quirks that are different in the hardware platforms.

But this is becoming off topic for this thread. More discussion will be revealed when we have finally decided on the path we will take.

1 Like

Thanks but now im even more confused with all the acronyms, SW and FW?

So far i was using the Truedrive software: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Simucube_2_True_Drive_releases

If you talk about FW do you mean this here by any chance: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

Is there a difference in how the Simucube “code” works or something? Or is it a completly different software for using a Simucube? Or is that something related to Simucube 1 devices but also works with SC2?

Simucube 2 True drive is both the firmware and the PC software for the Simucube 2. The other stuff you linked is older stuff for Simucube 1.