Any Fanatec DD owners moved to SC2?

If Granit devices wants to make more money than they already are I would suggest maybe getting some deals with Gaming companies. Or maybe getting geals with racing companies to bring out exclusive gear like wheels and pedals idk. Maybe they already decided against that. A subscription service like Z1 I think is over doing it. It looks like they offer the best wheelbase and software for said wheelbase but I think they need to offer a few more items to keep that money coming in. TD subscription for 1.99 a month isnā€™t too bad but once we start paying they could just hold off on when they want to release updates for certain things yes? In theory anyway right?

Something I donā€™t understand in this discussion ā€” what makes anyone believe other companies wonā€™t do the same? Or ā€œworseā€?

What makes anyone believe VRS wonā€™t go bust next year? or Fanatec decide to stop developing drivers for older units?

GD have already said they arenā€™t doing it. And even if they did decide to go that route ā€” Iā€™d rather pay a subscription for the next few years to support development than have a very expensive piece of hardware not have any software to run it.

I have no desire to spend another Ā£1250 in a few years time, with an unsellable piece of hardware because there are no drivers.

Agree with you here 100%. You simply can not buy any piece of hardware that has infinitive support (be it on HW or SW side) based on the innitial price you paid.
We are moving to a software defined world, and for me that is a good thing. Way more options can be made available on our gear if they can be done in SW and not by swapping HW parts. For sure this development has to be paid though. And for us to take full advantage to all that is possible, we would even want GD to make profit from this. Otherwise, whats the point for them to develop.
I agree that based on innitial pricing, some period of support should be integrated in the base. But I am fully open to a paid model for long term development on my SC2pro, thus securing a long lifespan and excelent investment.

3 Likes

I have DD1 and SC2 Pro and I wouldnā€™t say fanatec is crap.
But not about that
Even though Pro is 25nm at max settings it seems weaker than DD1?

Do you activated max tourge mode? That sound odd?

Since the 25NM is the max/peak/unsustainable performance, maybe the SC2 pro is set very low to not actually ever hit it?

@Mika?

Iā€™m not sure what you are describing.

Simucube 2 Pro can easily sustain 25 Nm for minutes.

Sorry,

It was in relation to this: Any Fanatec DD owners moved to SC2?

Itā€™s the same impression I have gotten from other people describing the force they get from their dd1ā€™s. So was thinking sc2ā€™s force could be set up extremely conservative.

Ah yes, of course the torque crispness is dependent on the settings and filters being used. It might be difficult to compare 1:1.

1 Like

Yes. maximum torque in drivers and in ir

Hi, I have tested both servos, within rating, the sustainable output was 25NM for both, with the torque deration on the SC2 slower and better managed than on the DD2.

What you are feeling is the higher ripple in output from the podium, thinking it feels stronger. The SC2 is smoother with better filtering and less spiky response, this is why you are ā€œfeelingā€ as if it has lower torque.

Simple test, set all filters on the SC2 to lowest value, and drive the Ford GT3 in iRacing. Next, set RF to 8 or and damping to 10, drive again.

The first test will feel far stronger ffb than the 2nd, even you are not changing the torque. Smoothing removes peaks and valleys, which will not fatigue you as much on same torque levels.

3 Likes

it is very possible that it is so. it must be added that there is no lack of strength in any :grin:

filters are bad :joy:

I donā€™t think anyone can test these things at their limit ā€” if you do you clearly have a high disregard for your fingers/hands/wrists!

Why are filters bad? The noise that you are feeling with low/zero filter ffb us not in any way realistic at all. I am faster, with better car control, at higher torque and smoother filters, than the opposite.

Yes, we are all different, but lower filters is definitely not a better reflection of actual reality.

@jamesc: I have been running these dd wheels near or at max torque since 2014 - someone has to be the Crazy Test Monkey, huh :wink:

1 Like

The difference in feel is de for the most part in the way the two units deliver their powerā€¦ The Fanatecā€™s are have a lot of initial torque and spin up much faster than the SC2. This leads to a more active wheel that gets to it peaks much faster and more abruptlyā€¦ This for the users feels as if it is delivering more power than it actually isā€¦ If you want to test your real torque levels you could set iRacing to clip early with Maximum torque and then go on the centripetal circuit and drive aroundā€¦ The sustained clipped icy like weight of the wheel is the true output forceā€¦ Granted after about 3 seconds of this with a Fanatec you will feel it derate to a lower Nm.

@jamesc there are actually many that do run these at pretty high strength levelsā€¦ and I like Beano have run alot of different servo and wheels I have found that the makeup of the servo design has a significant impact on the end feel and that smaller Lighter servos tend to have additional shock value you might say over larger counterparts due to the way the power is delivered (mentioned above) The Fanatecā€™s are a bit of anomaly but because of using the higher initial torque out runner style servos they have alot of spin-up speed and act more like a smaller servo but with the additional top end torque that many smaller servos cannot get to physically. this of course does create a situation where the Fanatec has a very strong but jabbby feel to itā€¦ and unfortunately In my mind Fanatec has not yet mastered the filters enough to REALLY calm it yetā€¦ However, that being said smaller Jabbier servos do have a place for people who are looking for a more game like feel as they are more likely to translate the feel of having more information though the wheel than the more natural feeling wheels.

The way I attribute it is more active wheels or wheel settings tend to Jab and punch you constantly which can be very fatiguing at high forces, however less active wheels like the SC2 Pro will instead of punching you will just give you a hard shoveā€¦ this is less fatiguing and actually more to how a real car delivers forces through the wheel.

1 Like

It is as you say Fanatec is much faster and I have the impression that if it was as smooth as SC2 it would be beyond the competition

Yes the issue is really if they can figure out the filtering methodology to smooth it out furtherā€¦ The servo is actually pretty smooth but it is just so abrupt in nature and none of the filters they currently offer tame that aspectā€¦ One of the problem that was the case with the SC1 is that though you can filter the servos to make them feel better there is a point where the particular the of servo can be over filtered and then it just feels Dead and or very sluggishā€¦ The Small Mige SC1 had this issue if you wanted to get it to feel closer to the Large Mige SC1 which actually feels like a bit more active SC2ā€¦ The Large Mige has a very natural feel to it but in order to get the Small Mige to the same type of feel you had to add filtering enough that at a certain point just sort of kills the response and feel of the servo, in effect over filtering the servoā€¦ This could happen with the Fanatec as well and it can even happen with the SC2 Servosā€¦ but since it is already a more natural feel servo by the time you might over filter it you would be beyond what you would want to be on feel anyway so you are less likely to get to that point.

you obviously dont have it set up correctly thenā€¦

Ive owned both unitsā€¦ the SC2 is def smoother. and just as quick. as the Podium (at least the pro that i have)

itā€™s not a setup issue. Fanatec is physically faster probably due to the design of the engine (Outrunner)
Which does not mean that the speed is missing SC2

Have Fanatec published detailed motor specs to compare max slew rate? Or are you going by subjective feel?