Which is the best Direct Drive motor? Simucube developers will find out

yes but i think we will never know the motors model used in SC2. untill someone disassemble it

1 Like

Imagine if they find out there’s a mige inside. In my opinion it is possible that they have found a less expensive engine that is more suited to this use to keep costs low and increase profits

1 Like

https://www.delta-line.com/it/110sh150-6504a-000-P510.htm

I bet on this

The motors are customized by us and are custom made for us.

1 Like

That definitely looks similar and it fits what we have heard about the supplier being in Europe. However, that’s a hybrid stepper motor, not a servo motor.

It’s a shame that we still don’t have a lot of detail about the intricacies of the various SC2 models.For instance, we know that the Sport model doesn’t have support for the following features, but we don’t know if they are actually important.

• Adjustable torque slew rate limit
  • Non-linear force saturation
  • Multi torque cogging + ripple

That’s funny, thanks for the laugh :slight_smile:

The Sport and Pro versions are excellent in terms off efficiency (we can use smaller power supply, user also saves of electricity), in terms on torque density, (we can make smaller user friendly package around the motor) and also have very low cogging and torque ripple. In terms of torque density (torque per volume), and if we pick a good known reference servo motor, these have about double the torque density compared to small mige motor and/or double the efficiency in terms of copper losses per Nm, (so based against there criteria, Sport and Pro are about 2 times better than MiGE motors of similar size / offer more than double the amount of torque in the same volume). So when building complete product around the motor, for us it is paramount that the motor is excellent. Then, the Ultimate motor is also something that is not seen in simracing community, it is servo motor that can output 70Nm of torque in a very compact package, excellent responsiveness, reliability, smoothness and linearity. Ofcourse, we have limited the motor torque output because we had some doubts that the user would actually need more than 32Nm.

I searched in my opinion quite large amount of motors, compared 56 of them by their spec & suitability and asked to send the best ones here for testing or we purchased these motors here for final performance & torture testing and picked from those the best ones suitable to our product. At least I am confident that we have chosen the right parts, motor included, for the complete product.

ps. I am not claiming that the product we have made is 2 times better than SC1 based builds in raw performance, but the motors are better (based on our criteria and testing) and there is noticeable difference, not only due to the motor. The chosen motors are better in ways that make the complete product outstanding.

Are we any closer to having the final test conclusions posted (with explanations for those of us that aren’t servo experts) :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks

I think many of us look forward to seeing the motor comparison but, what really matters most is how the SimuCube2 compares in terms of feeling in hand.

What are the notable differences one can expect coming from a SC1-Mige - for example? How do improvements in low-cogging and torque-ripple improve the performance for the end-user? Technical data is great but, I hope for some combining it with “in hand” results as well.

1 Like

A couple more weeks and ill let you know.:grinning::grinning: Well unless someone on here can pull some strings and get it out early…

1 Like

I’m looking forward to recieving my Pro model too.

I won’t bother posting my thoughts as my only point of reference is a G29 :yum:

1 Like

Coming from that its going to take a week or two to adjust to how much you can actually feel. The first few days is like sensory overload. lol

2 Likes

Will the SC2 fit on my SimLabs P1 (black) with front mount?
The MiGe motors fit perfectly and for me that compatibility is a must have.

After just going through the expense of building this new rig, the SC2 would have to be plug and play.

SimLab front mount is compatible with both Sport/Pro and Ultimate versions.

1 Like

@Mika Fanatec gave us a screenshot of the DD2 holding torque stress test. Can we have the same for your servomotors to make comparaison ?

Torque is as stated on the product specification page. There is throttling when there is danger of exceeding safe requirements for motor surface temperature, and should not be able to be reached even when using 100% torque when driving.

It could be useful @Mika to have the same graphic to know exactly how much time the Pro motor for example could reacht 25Nm for stall torque. So we can have a precise vision… Or your motor can’t do this torture ? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mika,

Excuse my lack of knowledge in this area but if I am correct you are saying that it is almost impossible for us to stall the motor during normal use and so if you showed a chart like the one above it would show a straight horizontal line?

Yes, it would be a horizontal line and the throttling definitively would not be visible in the first 10 minutes - but I do not know the specific time on when it would start.

This picture (to my eyes) is about verifying the cooling performance of the product design under stress test. This manufacturer has said that they use outrunner motor inside the product, which means that the coils (stator) are inner parts of the motor (and rotor is outside). Stator is (typically) the part where the coils are and where heat is created inside the servo motor). Outrunner motor design is typically such that it does not have large heatsink or surface by its design that would keep the motor parts cool enough without some active cooling. As I understand it, this mfg. has added also some layers of casing material that affect so that without active cooling it would make the temperature of the motor coils and parts too high so that product life / reliability could be compromised. Therefore verification of the cooling design is actually needed for them (so that the motor can be run on the torque level they use it under all the layers of material).

The psu power drawn in picture is such that 25 Nm is the max power in stall situation, then in the first 3 minutes the torque is lowered linearly to about 20Nm. The previous means that needed electrical power is lowered by ~36%, then again after perhaps after 13 minutes the torque is lowered to 15Nm, which represents about ~36% power requirement from the psu ( or 64% reduction from peak power which may be the overall cooling power of the product design so that the motor does not overheat inside of the product in long use sessions).

Inrunner motors (when the motor is correctly chosen for the task) do not need active cooling in this use case as the motor’s design itself is good enough to keep the temperature of the motor cool enough in this use case, (barely even warms, considering how hot the motor is designed to run). Moreover, advertising stall torque is actually irrelevant in this use case as nobody hangs in the corner for several minutes, (as far as I know) there are no such turns in real race tracks that would require a driver to turn the wheel with let’s say 15Nm of torque for 15 minutes. Quite describing title of the picture to my eyes could be something like “verification of the product’s active cooling performance under stall torque test” which in engineer’s mind also translates to, “how many watts of heat the product’s active cooling design can cool the product under use and with known fan characteristics”.

So, basically as we have had no use for these sort of graphs / tests in our product design process, we have not made such graphs and likely will not make these as these seem more or less irrelevant as we have passive cooling and different objectives in our product design.

6 Likes

So what we’re seeing here is thermal throttling to stay within the TDP of the active cooling solution’s capabilities from sustained running?