Very heavy vibration on (3D) kerbs in iRacing

Hey everyone,

I’ve run into a problem lately that I haven’t been able to solve. In iRacing when I run the Skip Barber at for example Navarra, hitting the 3D kerbs makes my whole rig vibrate/rattle like crazy.
The effect is very similar to the video in this thread: https://community.granitedevices.com/t/brand-new-sc2-sport-has-really-nasty-vibrations-in-iracing/11529
This started happening somewhere between 20-8 and 6-9. (Ran the Skip there from 13-8 to 20-8 without any problems, returned there on 6-9 and immediately noticed this.)
This happens with all kerbs now except the really smooth ones.

These are/were my True Drive Settings:

In iRacing I use Max force 30Nm and Wheel force 12Nm.

At first I thought my problems came from the iRacing S4 update but I haven’t been able to find anything on it. Posting on the iRacing forums and Reddit hasn’t given any answers.
In the last weeks I’ve tried everything I could think of;
-Tried all kinds of settings in True Drive and switched back to 60hz (I had been on 360 for about 2 months)
-Tried True Drive versions 2024.5 and 2024.7
-Compared my iRacing app.ini to someone without the problem (same car/track). I was missing some lines but adding didn’t help → Reinstalled iRacing
-Tightened every bolt in my rig/wheel/QR and later rebuilt it entirely

So far nothing has helped. The only way I can get the vibration/noise acceptable is to run Recon filter at 10 and very low slewrate (0.10/0.15). This feels very rubbery compared to what I had.

I have pretty much run out of ideas so I’m hoping to find some here.

What happens when you put both wheel-force and max-force in iRacing on 30NM?

Yeah, if you use wheel force at 12 Nm and then use the automatic FFB adjustment button, it may well be that the FFB will be way strong.

But that does not explain the curb feeling as is. Nothing has been changed in iRacing or in Simucube 2 with regards to those or how FFB is processed. Depending on tracks the curbs can be quite crisp now with 3D curbs and running True Drive at 100% may not be as good idea as it used to be as those curb hits will spike so high compared to older curbs.

Hey Mika, thanks for the reply!

I don’t use the auto button but instead adjust Max force based on the FFB graph to not go in the red.
In True Drive my Overall Strength is also set to only 12Nm (48% for SC2 Pro), the same as my Wheel force in iRacing.
As I understand things I shouldn’t be able to get spikes above 12Nm that way?

The vibrations/rattles also don’t feel very forceful and are, if I let go of the wheel, very small but loud oscillations. If I hold the wheel it doesn’t really oscillate but does still vibrate/rattle.
The strange thing is that I had been running these settings for about 10 weeks and ~150 races and never had a problem before, on any track. Now I’m afraid my neighbours will come knocking with any non-flat kerb I hit…
Can it be a hardware problem? From a mechanical point it would seem like something has a little play and “knocks” with the oscillations, but I don’t have knowledge of the insides.
I’ve checked/tightened the wheel and QR, is there anything else I can check or test in that area?

Hey Philip, thanks for the reply!

I’ve just tested with both at 30Nm but that doesn’t seem to make a difference.
(As I just replied to Mika, I don’t think that would make a difference with the SC2 pro @ 12Nm?)

Hey Mate, all good.

Now that I’m back home, had a look at your settings again. Anyway, I get what you’re saying, that it was working ok before, but your current damping, friction and inertia at ‘0’ will leave you with a very harsh ffb, especially hitting kerbs and the like.

If you could do one more check, to rule out issues with the unit: Set Reconstruction Filter to 5, Damping =15%, Friction and Inertia = 8-10% and Low latency Filter to 8%, safe it as a new profile, and let us know how it feels then.

Hi Philip,

Just made a new profile with those settings (and the rest like OP).
Seems a bit less harsh now but still vibrates/rattles enough to make a racket.

Hi Mate, I will run a few laps there tomorrow and see how I go, I will get back to you over the weekend :wink:

Thats great, thanks!

@Ception1 G’day Mate,
Ok, I had a go at Navarra in the Skippy, baseline set. Yes, indeed, it is very jarring across those 3d kerbs, so much so that it almost ripped the wheel out of my hands when hitting them at full-speed.

I would say though, having been around Nurburgring IRL a few years ago, indeed that’s how they feel. Some can be pretty dramatic.

I have set my wheel to approximately 23NM actual strength, it was pretty wild, even though I am running quite dramatic filter-settings. This was my first time around Navarra ever, so please excuse my lap-times, but a few screenshots below.

So don’t worry about it, I suspect you have no issues in the base at all. Just remember, if you run low to zero filter-settings like you had, it will feel very raw. Attached my day-day settings I have been using for the last 5 years or so, they work very well for me.

I often jack my ffb all the way to it’s actual 44NM capability, depending how brave I am, and no oscillations or unwanted behaviour. And to me, it feels like the real cars I tested before, at around the 12-18NM level.

Anyway, I might recommend you anyway delete the input calibration file in iRacing, and recalibrating wheel and pedals. Others have had some weird issues wrt ffb after the recent iRacing sim update, just something to try.

IMG_2667

For a 2 pro, less damping and less inertia is probably the way to go, right?

Yes, you can use my settings as a baseline and start reducing the filters in 5% increments until you find a happy spot where you have a decent feeling you like, and a stable wheel.

I fail to understand why peeps are afraid to run filters :slight_smile:

1 Like