Simucube wireless wheel support

We decided today that we’ll offer transmitters to Simucube resellers & partners so that they will be also able to sell the transmitters separately to DIY people if they choose to do so. So GD sells them in bulk to partners, and partners handle the distribution to individuals. However, we’re not using any “force” to make them sell transmitters individually if they don’t want to (i.e. perhaps due to support overhead). I believe that the community friendly resellers would offer them to DIY people :slight_smile:

I really hope so.
And hopefully fairly priced.
Otherwise for me personally it has no extended value as it is not a industry standard.
Only works on simucube.

1 Like

Keep in mind that there is no industry standard for low-power wireless simracing solutions.

Battery lifetime sounds really amazing - as I mentioned in a post quite some time ago I‘m using a DIY solution using an Arduino compatible board from Adafruit with an additional Bluetooth HID module and the 800mAh LiPo Battery lasts for 20-30 hours only.
Before I used the Onboard BLE module of the Adafruit which had far better battery life, but only supported 8 buttons + 1 hat switch.
But I definitely like this solution since the first day - I never used a cable based wheel - as it safed me several times when the wheel was spinning in R3D when hitting a wall.

Let‘s see if I switch to this solution, as mine isn‘t really small due to hardware based deglitchting of 12 switches.

An interesting idea could also be an RFID based one, where the energy is created from an external magnetic field and no battery would be needed at all - my company is using one of our own systems with a transponder inside the car to open the gate, with a range of up to 2m and all the metal of the car the antenna is not that small.

Hi everyone! I decided to write here some important facts that I see missing about the product:

• The operating voltage specification of the wireless button plate module is between 2.4 – 3.8 V
  • It is possible to connect 2 paddle shifters, 5 rotary encoders and 16 push buttons to the module.
  • We have designed a reference breakout board to easily connect the button plate module to anything with wires. We will not sell this board, but share its design files to be freely used
  • A basic configuration of 2 paddle shifters, 5 encoders and 16 push buttons will be saved to the button plate modules in factory, which means that they can be used in most DIY button plates right away. It doesn’t matter how many of configured pins are really used.
  • More precise documentation about this product should be published later.
5 Likes

Can you do a quick value proposition vs the BlueHID boards? They’re Bluetooth, so perhaps greater latency than your solution but do have overall flexibility in button assignment etc. Oh and they’re pretty darn large.

http://www.u-hid.com/home/overview_bboard.php

They just work. No fiddle and no issues normally associated with regular HID BT modules/pc connectivity. Plus a very long battery life.

Compact, purposely designed to compliment the Simucube and creating an ecosystem.

The Simucube module uses more modern low energy tech.

BlueHID does not appear to have FCC ID, where as the Simucube module has.

BlueHID is reliant on Windows Bluetooth stack, and when there is different bluetooth vendor chipsets in play, we can’t control everything which is prone to all kinds of issues.

Excited. Just built one around the BlueHID and it works but cutting out the Windows integration would be smashing. Smaller is nice too. Powering with an 18650 battery lasts forever, but requires the separate charging stuff and is bulky…

Hi guys,

would it be possible to use this system (modify it) to be able to run in a hypercar? Due to packaging we would need to get rid of the cables comming out from the steering wheel. It would be for 20+ cars.

I would be really happy if you could drop me a personal message.

Miro

Now the big question. How long before we see these available?

True Mika,
But there are all in one DD solutions available and there will come more even with backwards compatibilty regarding wheels.
You want to extend the product line of the brand Simucube with wheels also?
I don’t get this, if you want to bring this out only in combination with other vendors or only integrated in wheels, whats the point of this announcement, you’d better keep it quiet until the integration in the first wheel is a fact.

Great news! I have been looking for a low latency wireless option as drifting requires more freedom then the conventional coiled cord. It would be great to have the adapter available on your website or even distribute through eBay/AliExpress. Any chance we can get the exact measurements L43xW25.7xH? so us DIY folks can start 3d printing prototypes/enclosures. Thanks for making great innovative products and providing support!

Hi,

ETA is on week 51/2018 when we start delivering these to our partners.

1 Like

What’s the price increase, or cost for a DIY version for that matter?

What’s the suggested price at least ?

The only thing I’m meanwhile wondering about - why you didn‘t add an STM32 board (or something compatible) and sell it as standalone USB solution for non Simucube users; I think there is a bunch of people that would choose this solution on their existing wheels as replacement for the wired connection.

I think firmware could be generated by simply disaing wheel support in the existing one.

3 Likes

That is an interesting idea that we have not ruled out. Indeed, the firmware would be very easy to generate.

3 Likes

This feature will require a vote: As the module supports encoders in all common modes (1:1, 1:2, 1:4), which mode should be configured as default on the module for the encoder inputs? This setting is commonly described as signal state changes per detent.

• 1:1
  • 1:2
  • 1:4

0 voters

Sounds really interesting! Definitely an innovation.
I will wait for the DIY option since I (as many more) already have my buttonboxes that need obly the upgrade.
I could not see it here, but my OSW is the one built by Augury in Spain. It is a simcube board plus an ioni pro-hc. I guess it will be compatible?
Also, still don’t quite understand how the board you will deliver with the “standard” buttons config will work, since I will have no option for changing what…? I guess I will be able only to map my buttons to the existing number of options in this config, right? So, I cannot for example assign 18 buttons, only 16. As I read you will be explaining this shortly.
Anyway, thx again for continuing with this project and innovating.
Good job!