SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

It could be something I changed in the Qt. Thanks for reporting it.

Serious issue is found:

v0.9.0 cannot be used for a fresh install of the firmware! (update from MMOS, for example).

Workaround:

Using Configuration Tool from 0.9.0, start firmware update wizard, run as far as it says ā€œFound SimuCUBE in Firmware Upgrade Modeā€. Then press CANCEL and close everything.

Download 0.8.12 and unzip it.
Use that to update the firmware to 0.8.12.
Do the first-time setup wizard there.
Create profile, set itā€™s strength to 100%. Save config to flash.

Then use 0.9.0 to update the firmware to 0.9.0 and use the new version after that.

Hi

quick feedback. I tried the new firmware and it is working well. I tested it and played with the parameters 1.5 hours. I found out that I have to add 2.5% inertia to avoid oscillation at high speed (lenze setup). recon filter at 5 feels the best for me (all other filters and damping at 0).

thank you for the good work.

szabolcs

Updated feels great in RF2 not messed with sliders yet all at 0 update went smooth all sincos encoder settings retained no issues at all :slight_smile:
Thanks again looking forward to testing on other sims
Simon

Just gave it a try in ETS2 and works very neatly. :slight_smile:

Thatā€™s both good and bad.
good, because everything seems to work as it should and bad because I just realized (again) how awful the FFB is in that game. xD

3 Likes

while watching presentations here in Espoo, I implemented a fix for the running the wizard from scratch.

Obviously no access to debugger nor development hardware either here, but looking good on solving the issue.

1 Like

Anyone tried the new software on iracing? I moved the sliders around and couldnā€™t produce any action ;-(.

I tested it. Can you see if alt tabbing out and back to game does anything?

I have done that, not sure of the effect you were looking for ? I never had issues tabbing in and out of iRacingā€¦

I meant if that fixes the ffb.

Or if you mean the sliders: IRacing does not use any effects so the sliders do not have any effect.

Traditional Friday update:

Logic for setting up SimuCUBE from scratch or MMOS is fixed.

While testing that, we have encountered another, unrelated issue, which we took time to verify to be fixed already in the 1.6.30 and later IONI firmwares.

I will want to fix the SMBUS reconnection issue also for 0.9.1. The issue now appears to be happening also at powerup of the system, but in somewhat inconsistant fashion.
Investigation continuesā€¦

also :beer:

6 Likes

Lol enjoy your beer Mika it is very much earned.

Over the Saturday beer, I experimented in installing Qt 5.10 at home. It is supposed to have improved support for DPI detection. I can confirm, that the Configuration Tool does look a lot better at least at home if I set a custom scaling factor.

Qt 5.10 stuff will be included in 0.9.1 release.

3 Likes

@Mika Apologies been out of touch with most recent development - I have Lenze, does latest firmware resolve the noise issue? Thanks very much

From SimuCUBE firmware side, no changes.

Brief summary of IONI firmware:

The latest stable is the most stable version. However, there are some known issues in it too, which we have since fixed.

Beta versions:
1.6.30 beta has a new method of handling regenerative resistor handling, to mitigate overvoltage faults that can occur while drifting or rallycross driving. However, while successful, it had an issue where the new method caused less of an accurate feeling just at turn-in on normal track driving. This version also has an attempt at mitigating noise induced by current sensing / ADC, which can make the Lenze servos less noisy. But it also had a bug in MR/ML measurement, which added noise especially for Lenzes. It also had other minor issues here and there.

1.6.90 beta was an attempt to fix the reported issues and at the same time integrate other new features from the IONI firmware development branches into the main firmware. It is a partially successful attempt at that, but it has an issue if any damping is in use, affecting all servos.

When we get the IONI firmware up to a stable point again, it will be included in the SimuCUBE firmware.

Thanks very much for swift reply. Will wait for the Simucube update, cheers!

Mid-week update:

Having a wisdom tooth pulled on Monday wasnā€™t fun. However, I did implement desktop centering spring (to be tested.)

The important bug of SimpleMotion communications errors / drive connection issues just has to be fixed before 0.9.1 can be released.

2 Likes

Pain Killers are your friendā€¦ Had all four out the same time, looked like a chipmunkā€¦ sympathize ā€¦

1 Like

Desktop centering spring now works. It uses the DirectInput axis values instead of more precise encoder input values, but as it is only to be used on desktop, this shouldnā€™t matter.

I Like this the reason I used to use the desk top spring is it stopped my toddler winding up my USB lead all the time. Now days I unplug it and wind it around the wheel and put it on my magnetic paddle shifter.

I also seem to be suffering a bug where i cant connect to Granity, Even after I enable the Ioni Usb Configuration.
It appears as though the Simple motion bus hasnā€™t been released. I assume this is the bug you are talking about.

Cheers

Troy