SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

COAL it is LOL, Happy Xmas to you, safe and happy new year

Hi Mika.
I wonder if it would be possible at some point in the development of simucube to implement the possibility of keeping a centered steering position in the profile to be loaded ā€¦ For me this would be a great help because I have steering wheels that need different centering positions and I have They recentrate position every time I exchange them.

Thanks, regards (apologies google translator)

Hi Morer,

I think that is highly unlikely. How many readers would use such a feature?

• A need for offset storing in profile is needed and I would make use of the offset if it was saved in profile
  • I would not need that feature

0 voters

ok Mika ā€¦ I understand that not everyone needs this feature at this time, but they might need it if different steering wheels are not exactly aligned in their hooks. In my case one of them is inverted 180Āŗ ā€¦ I was just asking about the possibility of doing it.

Anyway, thank you Mika :wink:

well, SimuCUBE flash memory is written so that there are

• Hardware settings (64 bytes)
  • Profile settings (64 bytes for each profile (currently 5 bytes free)). 64*500 = 32 000 bytes
  • Profile settings (64 additional bytes for each profile, currently none of these are used)

Changing the offset to be saved into profiles, and making the wizards to enable that also, would take at least around 10 hours of design, implementation and testing time. I have put this on todo list, but as the time investment is rather large for a small benefit, I donā€™t think it will get done.

ok Mika, I understand.
Thank you for having it in consideration.
Regards :wink:

Hi Mika,
if I remember right someone requested in the past to use one of the SimuCube buttons to (re)center the wheel - would that be an option? Could be also interesting for people that are using SinCos encoders with >2 Mio CPR that once and a while have a shift of the center - off course staying below 2Mio avoids the problem, thatā€˜s why Iā€˜m using 9xxk for my Heidenhain.

That could be an option to consider.

I havenā€™t heard that the center shift with >2M CPR shift is still happening - I almost thought that the last version which upped the rate to 2500 Hz also corrected that.

Time for another poll, perhaps.

• Center shift with >2 M CPR encoder is still happening
  • No sign of center shifts with the current beta version.

0 voters

Friday development update:

• F1 2017 is downloading on to the office computer for dedicated debugging attempt.
  • Long-lasting bug where misconfigured IONI drive at bus address offset other than 0 is now finally fixed, as I finally found the bug!
  • wrapper functions to enable callbacks from STM HAL C files to C++ files are now separated into separate file to tidy up the code
  • Functions that communicate with the drive directly are now separated into separate file to tidy up the code
  • Main.cpp file is now much easier to read.

edit: Some people might have an idea why these types of changes are now being made to the code :wink:

2 Likes

No problem with centering on a Mige SinCos under usual conditions. The only thing Iā€™ve seen, which I believe didnā€™t used to happen, is changing the recon in realtime while iRacing is running can cause it to lose center. Maybe 50% of the time. Rebooting the SimuCube brings it back correct.

This is expected, as changing filter settings will cause a momentary pause in both SimuCUBE and in the IONI drive, causing the communication to be paused so long time that fast wheel movements get ignored. It is not likely that these types of things will get fixed.

1 Like

Open source SDK for developpers like me ? :smile:

Hi Etienne! Your previous work is much appreciated. You would be surprised how much of your contribution is still used as-is.

We intend to release this as open source, but with specific licensing and conditions. Stay tuned in January!

3 Likes

Yes :slight_smile: Great news for open-source guys !

Just a question, Why not remount the QR side 180 degrees for that wheel and then it will all be aligned again?

1 Like

Hi Mika,

Iā€™m glad I helped, you seem to be doing an excellent work. I didnā€™t react so far, but Iā€™m following this thread (well Iā€™m trying, thereā€™s a lot of things going on here). I will stay tuned for sure, and Iā€™ve got a few things coming soon too, that should be very interesting for the DD owners. Looking forward :wink:

That would be ideal, but it is not possible. It is a ring with three inverted holes with respect to its normal situation, that is to say the peak of the triangle upwards and the Q1R (50mm) does not admit that position to fit in its position except by rotating the ring 180Āŗ, in this way the peak of the triangle is downwards and the screws do not make the placement impossible ā€¦ weird, I know.

Loosen and rotate the split-bush on the shaft.

The Q1R only has a valid position, even if it is symmetric it can not be used at 0Āŗ and Āŗ180Āŗ. I have 3 rings of 5 holes with Q1R of 70mm that fit perfectly in 0Āŗ position and another of 3 inverted holes (peak of the triangle upwards) with Q1R of 50mm that to fit has to be rotated 180Āŗ. It could also be mounted in a 0Āŗ position but the quick closing would be with the actuator down, very uncomfortable ā€¦ no matter what you do with the shaft.

Would it be possible to do what Beano says and rotate the split Bush or recenter with the issue Formula mounting wheel and then turn the other 70mmā€™s 180 degrees. Granted it is a bit of work but it could solve the issue mechanicallyā€¦