SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Would it have use to tweak this yourself on your small mige?
Or is the measure thing quite perfect?

i just remeasured the coil resistance with that new ioni firmware they stay virtually exactly the same

With MiGE we have found automatic measurement work very well. I wonā€™t suggest manual configuration, but of course it doesnā€™t hurt to try if youā€™re interested.

1 Like

yeah, the problem for many simulator user would be to attach the servo shaft so that it wonā€™t be able to rotate at all.

Yea Edge has NEVER liked downloading the IONI Firmware as it doesnā€™t realize the .gdz as a file and it blows it apart.

well I canā€™t block my motorshaft but I just tried with different MR ML values.

I found a pretty good fix! We assumed I have to decrease the MR ML values but instead I have to increase the coil resistance MR only.

It measures 1.4 and is noisy - if I set the value manually to 2.0 its much much better!

Are there any doubts on your side Mike and Terro? Is there a downside in increasing the MR value? Estimated Max Torque Value is way down in Simucube software.

further testing revealed I can use 1.8 MR if I decrease ML. combined with TBW unlimited it feels good and even the grinding is much improved. I am getting there I thinkā€¦ I just donā€™t understand why it does look like other Lenze users donā€™t have these troubles (beano and jonpaul?).

Hi Marc,
I have only tested on my AKM servo, have indicated the same a while back during my testing of the early beta IONI fw.

Cheers,
Beano

First update for a while. It is unlikely a new ā€œstableā€ beta can be released this year, but we are making progress, both on the SimuCUBE side and IONI side. We may, or may not have, found something that could explain the reports of no feeling at turn-in, but weā€™ll need to analyze this.

Meanwhile, I didnā€™t get a chance to test&optimize the new effects yet, but today there was an impressive bug fixing session:

• Motor fault codes are read in initialization phase, instead of just checking for success/failure of initialization.
  • It is not possible anymore to end up in Operational mode via complex state changes when initial motor settings are not configured at least once via the wizard.
  • Added reading of HV Bus Voltage and FOV values if waited for initialization for more than 30 seconds. FOV must be larger than HV Bus Voltage + 2% for the IONI to init. There is an error message explaining this now in the main window. I might add it also to the wizard.

I didnā€™t manage to repeat the issue where one would not be able to connect to IONI in one case. I will have to try to repeat it later.

4 Likes

Thanx Mika, good update, look forward running more testing for you :wink:

@Marc: Increasing the winding-resistance in your case should have only a small impact to the performance of your setup. Max available torque from the low-voltage Lenze at 48V will decrease from 24.75NM to 21.8NM.

So, only if you are running it at max settings will you find a decrease in the top-end performance.

Cheers,
Beano

Is the update out ? If so, could you send me the link, please ?

Mika

Indexing question ?

I originally spent a great deal of time setting up my original wheel connector/adapter through MMoS to be locked within a half a degree of the indicated index. This was perfect when changing Simucube as the wheel indexed perfectly every time.

When I changed from Fanatec QR to the QR 1 the bolt pattern forced a 30 rotation in the wheel (too laz
y to go through the removing the adapter and reattaching it perfectly again) on attachment and the wheel indexes perfectly when the wheel is Ā± in that 30 degree right position when turning the simucube on.

The problem comes when I forget and leave the wheel in the straight position and turn the simucube on, the wheel indexes off the new position (sometimes) and this results in a 30 degree software offset, that requires me to use the software recenter.

Thats fine for the system, BUT FFB and the way the wheel works changes considerably in this condition.

FFB is harder/stronger and with a lot more spikes and in cornering the best way I can describe it is in a right corner the wheel kicks occasionally as if the left wheel hit a large rock, its almost as if the counter steer forces are being implemented all at once and then instantly stop.

This problem DOES NOT occur when indexing in the 30 degree offset position ? Thoughts

This is very strange. The torque mode does not require any information of the wheel angle on the SimuCUBE side, and the reporting of the wheel angle to PC is done via this code:

if(temporaryCenterPoint == true) {
	steeringAngle = (float)(encoderCounter-mEncoderTemporaryOffset)/(float)mConfig.hardwareConfig.mEncoderCPR*360.0;
}
else if (mConfig.hardwareConfig.mIndexingMode == startAtCenterPhasedIndexing || mConfig.hardwareConfig.mIndexingMode == indexPointIndexing){
	steeringAngle = (float)(encoderCounter-mConfig.hardwareConfig.mEncoderOffset)/(float)mConfig.hardwareConfig.mEncoderCPR*360.0;
} else {
	steeringAngle = 0.0;
}

ā€¦and after that, steeringangle is being converted to 0-65535 range for the report to be sent to PC.

Do you think the ERN 480 at 4mill might be ā€œoverloadingā€ the datastream, causing gaps ??

This would manifest itself as the centerpoint slowly drifting during a driving session. I read from your message that it doesnā€™t happen that way?

Nope, whichever center select it generally stays, I have had a 30 degree jump, going in and out the garage in iRacing but generally center is center.

What if anything could I log to see what is going on when the turn spikes happen ?

I donā€™t believe there is a way to log anything related to that now. I donā€™t believe that it is something something that happens on the SimuCUBE firmware side, as the code snippet above is absolutely the only difference between the ā€œreset center hereā€ mode and wizard-configured mode.

Hi Guys,

Could someone link me to the latest beta that is working pretty well?
I have been out of the loop for a little bit!

Thanks,
Joe

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

Wow that was quick! Thanks :slight_smile:

I know Santa starts out somewhere in your neighborhood Mika, is he bringing a present in his bag or are we getting coal before Xmas ???

Iā€™m already out of office, but I did manage to fix a few things yesterday. But a new release is going to be 2018. We will also try to tweak the Ioni firmware a bit for that.

3 Likes