SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Status update:

Don’t hold your breath about new firmware version just now.

I discovered an issue in where the motor fault status field parsing can’t be succesfull, and it may have repercussions to Simplemotion API and to Ioni firmware too. This does not hold back the release as of now, but figuring out how to fix this requires a session with Tero so that we can fix this in a correct way. Determining the way forward will have to wait for wednesday at the earliest, when we will be at the office at the same time.

Then, I didn’t have time to do the rFactor 2 test, which I definitively want to do.

Also, I noticed that profile management is somewhat wonky or broken after this tabbed UI was implemented. For example, importing profiles from file didn’t work as expected for some reason. I will need to investigate this a bit before a public release can be done.

so,

1. rFactor 2 test
  2. Fixing profile management funnies
2 Likes

All good Mika, thanx for the update. No dramas, it will be fedayeen when it’s ready :slight_smile:

Talk soon, have a good one that side!

Br,
Phillip

Patience is the mother of all sciences!
Thank you Mika for your work.:+1:

i am starting to think the same. Power supply issue so it would be nice if people with a 320 watt psu (the smallest back then in the indygo campain) could chime in and tell if they encounter problems also.

@Andres could you tell us what power supply your simucube has?

Power supply in combination with latest ioni firmware possibly? This question because Andres said going back to MMOS didn’t resolve the problem. Haven’t tried myself going back to MMOS because i fear opening up my beautiful but o so delicate acrylic simucube box :wink:

^^ this gets me to the question if you could safely go back to an earlier build of Ioni firmware and still use config tool and simucube firmware 0.8.4 just for testing reasons. i am aware that some filter options will possibly not work. but just to see if ffb cut out’s in combination with 320watt PSU disappear again.

If you go back on the ioni firmware I think the later SimuCUBE firmwares will automatically re install the latest ioni FW

ya i am aware @Ippai but i have latest 0.8.4 already installed so if i now rolled back to a former Ioni fw build.
It is just a brainfart of me and maybe it won’t work at all that’s why i asked.

If i need a bigger psu i will buy one no problem but i want to be sure…

The SimuCUBE firmware checks the firmware version of IONI at start, and automatically updates it if it is too old.

I think the non cold startup version does not do that, but I can’t check code at this hour.

No problem Mika it is not a life threatening issue :wink: just want to help pointing the problem down…and of course wanna enjoy your firmware :slight_smile:

Looks like you will have to go back to a closed beta version of the FW. Maybe as far back as version .4 not sure if there was a .5.

I think even the first “wide-release” closed beta had the automatic Ioni firmware update. It is needed, as the reconstruction filter is implemented in Ioni firmware.

I relaxed the checking of the FW version before public beta, so that we could test new Ioni firmwares separately without requiring to include it to SimuCUBE firmware each time.

I wasn’t here in the closed beta.
But in theory i could revert back to MMOs and set a former ioni fw?

On the other hand i can wait a few days till you with much more knowledge and understanding come with the possible solution

Yes, you could revert to MMOS and then install earlier IONI firmware to see if is related to IONI or SimuCUBE firmware.

If you choose to do this, please install at least version 1104 of IONI firmware, not any earlier.

1 Like

If i did this would that help you guys?

If it doesn’t help i think i’ll wait

Well, I do believe the problem with the disappearing forces you have is something specific to your setup, as nobody else seems to be reporting similar stuff at least for now.

It only depends on how much you are willing to invest your time to debug this issue.

I think Andres has sort of the same issue. But i am gonna give it a go.

And now i have a way to expensive non functional wheel so ya i have to

Eddy this my setup

SimuCUBE based OSW kit with Acrylic case
Servo Motor: MiGE 130ST-M10010 20Nm 10000ppr (40000cpr)
PSU: Mean Well 480W (Noiseless) 20-30Nm
Servo drive: Ioni Pro HC (25A)

1 Like

Status update: I didn’t have time to sit on the computer today for doing testing.

I did accidentally delete my profile. Therefore, implemented a confirm dialog for this.

Andres would you be able to install a former Ioni firmware to see if that sorts your problem? Using MMOS as simucube firmware.
If you want to please install 1104 like Mika said. (can be found here: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/IONI_firmware_releases)
When i have some time this week i will do so to.
Mika thinks the problems i have are probably problems with my hardware, which for sure can be true but i want to know for sure.
Looks to me we have the same kind of trouble using other sims and hardware so that’s why i ask and see if we can help each other debugging this.

One more question: How long do you have your Simucube and used it without problems?

@Mika could we/should we have a sort of debug thread for people with problems? So we don’t mess up this thread which is and should be about Firmware development.