SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Ok Mika so if I woudlike to check 12.86A (full power) seting so how to to do it easiet way ? Now I have 8A If i have good memory.

This talk of these formulas just seems far more complicated than it needs to be. IMO, you just missed dividing by sqrt(2).

Small Mige Tq: 12.86A/sqrt(2) * 2.2 = 20Nm

That will work for any motor whoā€™s Tq constant is known.

1 Like

John: The square root of 2 is 1.4142. And all your calc will do is something that we know already. Give a theoretical torque number that may or may not represent the max torque of the specific servo available when driven by 48VDC. It all depends on the winding resistance of the stator.

Edit: Apologies for the verbose answer.

Cheers.
Beano

Iā€™m well aware of that. :slight_smile: Iā€™m EE

From the existing calculation in the config tool, it appears that itā€™s missing.

Seeing your edit: I do understand that, but at the same time, i question its relevance. All a user needs to see is an ā€˜assumedā€™ or ā€˜approximateā€™ torque value. At least this is IMO. Being overly complex with look up tables and formulae is an effort in doing something just to prove you can. Thereā€™s a diminishing return in the time spent trying to get it as accurate (and correct) as youā€™d like, while just using Irms/sqrt2 * Ktq gets the job done well enough, no?

Valid point you make, I also think this is going totally overboard with something not needed at all. I always set the wheel by feel, as opposed to look at the raw numbers, or sometimes fractions. I would rather see the effort wasted here goes towards resolving a few important USB Comms issues, for example.

But yeah, if you want to show real torque numbers, you have to consider the impact of the winding resistance. My servo for example can do ~30NM at 100VDC, but only ~22NM at 48VDC. Thus the voltage is to low to drive the max current through the stator coilsā€¦this is the same case for most servos, and many people donā€™t know of this, thus they might think theyā€™re running 30NM as an example, but only actually have 20NM. (But then again, you know this, just verbose mode for those who donā€™t.)

Whilst it can be done with IF/THEN/ELSE statements as Brion is doing in excel, it is not so clean and lookup tables might be easier. But yes, like you, I think it is not needed at all, other then for those that are interested in seeing the numbers for one reason or another. No benefit pertaining to ffb behaviour/feel at allā€¦imho.

If there are benefits, Iā€™m not aware as Iā€™m out of the loop on these discussions.

Catch ya later!

1 Like

I kind wish I would have learned Cā€¦ all of my friends are programmers of some kind or another so I would always help them with logic questions like this when in College but I could never actually tell them how to program itā€¦ lol

I get what you are saying hereā€¦ The benefit would come in the sharing of profiles and information regarding the actual power of the systemā€¦ and yes it would probably benefit the iRacing methodology of power management more than say AC/ PCars or any other as I racing when set-up linear and Nm you can compare with estimated Nm pretty clearly via specific output and it is more intuitive than Amperage for the general person using the softwareā€¦ So if the Goal is to generally make the interface easy to understand it is good information to haveā€¦ Now should this take precedence over USB or baseline functionality issues, NOPEā€¦ but it can be a diversionā€¦ It is sort of US here flushing out the details as Im pretty sure Mika is just sitting back a bit waiting for it to be flushed out and working on that USB thing :slight_smile:

Right now the Torque calculations are correct to the 48v limit which is nice but not very informative of anything when we adjust by Amperage not voltageā€¦ (and we have the Amperage limit in place) If we had unlimited amperage we would be goldenā€¦

The Problem with a look-up table rather than an if then is that the table would have to keep being updated and it would not be able to determine servos that are NOT on that tableā€¦ With an all calculated method then of course any servo where you know the information of Torque Constant and Peak Nm RMS it could be calculated out since the IONI will figure out the correct line to line resistance.

Ask and you shall receiveā€¦ This time as I figured it outā€¦ Check your messagesā€¦

Any one could share your RaceRoom settings in simcube configurator and in game please?
I have tried a lot of changes in .ini file but I dont have any road texture, and no good ffb at all.
Thank you

1 Like

Is anybody else get wild spikes in iracing and porche 911 mount paronama?
Yesterday i was going to race 911 cup, but no thanks.
Have to try different settings, but i dont want to spend every time to looking good settings every cars and tracks. One game one settingā€¦
Maybe i have to go back to mmos and wait for final release simucube.

Using small mige.

Thereā€™s not going to be a ā€œfinalā€ release any time soon, as there is a lot of work to do still. However, if you feel that 0.7.x was better for you, then please state so, as that would be constructive feedback.

Iā€™m finding an obvious thing that SimuCUBE doesnā€™t seem to do correctly always. Thanks for the testers that sent logs from working and crashing Assetto Corsa starts.

Now, let me see what the problem actually is and how to fix thisā€¦

As I cannot make iRacing to crash right now, and Assetto Corsa is still downloading, Iā€™ve made a debug build which can help me. It has no functional differences to the released version, but a usb error counter is being updated in the background and shown in the configuration tool. This version is available on request.

And, thanks to @Ippai and @Berniyh, Iā€™ve been able to find the cause of the crash.
SimuCUBE is sending a report at the same time as it receives a control signal from PC which requires an immediate answer, and sending that answer fails silently because the report sending is still in progress.

I have an idea how to solve this, another debug-build coming perhaps tomorrow.

7 Likes

Thank you a lot for this, I was wondering why AC crashes sometimes and sometimes not. Just happy you were able to localize the issue.

thats interesting maybe the ac fix will help for iracing too(once its done)?
AC has never crashed here only iracing.

hi guys!
well,i have a big mige,ioni pro hc,SDR 480-720,I have updated to the new beta version 0.8, and everything feels good,but it does not allow me to regulate the force of the steering wheel inside the game, only in simucube,no matter how much the ffb value changes in the game, it is always the same.

my setup is correct?
put max11.999A !! is it right? should not you put 25A?

motor maximum current should be 24A, anyway no issues here

In Assetto Corsa works ok, but in Automobilista doesnt work ingame slider. Always give a full strength.

1 Like

Maximum Motor current is what your MMC is set to within Granityā€¦ The Maximum MMC should be set according to your servo and itā€™s capabilities.

Which Game are you using that is not allowing you to alter strength within the game? The Max MMC depends on your