SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

I will test at the bumpstop when I get home. But as I recall it does just occur while driving and only in the 10 and 2 o’clock wheel position. It is audible as well, will shoot a video tonight.

Its in all sims more or less.

Having the same Lenze MCS12H15L servo and encoder, with Simucube, I’d be interested in seeing the video. I don’t observe any grinding that is so noticeable as to want me to go back to MMOS and Argon.

If it can help you or Mika/Tero with looking at/comparing a second Lenze setup just shout.

But you feel grinding? There was just no grinding at all on the Argon and its so disturbing because rubber wheels and grinding… that wont add up for me.

The servo is slightly audible under cornering load, I guess you could associate it with a grinding-like noise, but it doesnt translate into a grinding feel at the rim.

I have to say my Rig is rocksolid as is my custom wheel. I will feel more than most other drivers I think. But the fact remains - Argon OSW did make less noise and nothing (!) could be felt on the wheel.

this is recorded with a video pro Sennheiser mic at +20dB so its much louder than the real noise.

Mika was right, the bumpstop is worse in grinding than anything else!

This video is not public, don’t wanna spread a false impression about simucube.

I use JonPaul’s drc file and tested Beanos settings too - both files feel and sound the same.

What car/track/in-game ffb settings, I will try similar

iRacing, Laguna Seca, Ferrari 488GTE, FFB 42nm in iRacing. Simucube 100% strenght, 5 Recon, TBW unlimited

Damn you McErono, now I will not be able to ignore this! :wink:

Note video is private. Tried with both 488 GTE and Skippy at Laguna, iRacing, same in-game FFB as you for GTE. Apologies for quality of video as taken with phone, but the grinding noise is quite obvious. Phone hand-held at head height/distance. I do normally drive with rift and headphones, so do not really notice this in race.

:laughing: Sorry!

Ah I hoped I had something wrong in my setup but obviously I haven’t.

I don’t mind the noise, but the feeling just destroys my immersion.

All else, the simucube is great but that grinding is just to bad :sweat:

Going back to your video and listening again, the “grinding” noise sounds exactly the same as mine. Also same on bumpstop

The servo does make some noise, but I observed that it mainly depends on your damping/inertia/friction settings.
(I use 2%/0%/0% and don’t have much noise in the servo, but it is noticeable if you don’t have any other noise.)

Also I think some said that reducing TBW reduces the noise as well.

You are right, TBW unlimited is louder and dampening filter does amplify the noise.

But the noise is no problem, I can‘t hear it while I‘m racing. Its just that I feel the noise! feels like sand in the servo.

The Argon drive isn’t as noisy and doesn‘t let you feel anything like grinding. You could get rid of the noise/grinding totally by using the overall filter in mmos. But the new recon filter does nothing to the noise.

I don‘t think this is intended and hope GD can bring up a solution.

I have had the same with my small Mige.
In my case the motor became very noise/grainy when I replaced the 2500ppr encoder with the 10k version.
I found out that by reducing the “[ML] Coil inductance” I could lower the noise and by reducing “[MR] Coil resistance” the grainy feel is almost gone.

did you first measure the coil resistance with granity? no side effects in reducing them? well lets fire up granity anyway!

What’s your existing settings for ML and MR? Mine as below:

MR - 1.481
ML - 11.699

Would have no idea what to safely change to in order to test, looking at the experts here!

mine are

MR - 1.505
ML - 11.937

measured with the “Measure resistance & inductance” button.

I will gradually reduce the values and see what happens.

I think that’s because the Argon was usually used with lower TBW and didn’t have those filter settings, iirc.

So a low TBW and no damping should give you something similar as with the Argon.

Thanks for the testing. Look forward to hearing how it goes!

MR 1.3
ML 10
no change in noise or feeling

MR 1.1
ML 9.5
still no change

MR 0.9
ML 9
slightly better I guess

MR 0.8
ML 8.5
less noise while standing still but still grinding in corners

TBW reduced to 150hz from unlimited, all filters at 0

very silent standing still, less grinding under load in corners
but still no Argon feeling.

Maybe it is the Overall Filter in MMos that I am missing so much…

One thing which may help is updating your usb drivers if you havent already or trying different usb sockets.