SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Mika

I would like brand it on behalf of the customer as required, I agree some sort of protection would be needed

OK, thanks for the reply. I will add these details to the list of things to do, but I really canā€™t say when I will be able to implement the branding feature.

Gearing up for some type of release soon. Writing even a simple end user license seems to be surprisingly difficult, but getting thereā€¦

3 Likes

The EULA is still getting some revisions.

Hi. I canā€™t wait for the new Firmware. Maybe the most of you will use it for iRacing, rFactor 2 and so on, but i have really big hopes to get a better FFB from Richard Burns Rally with this Firmware. The FFB is still good with my wheel but i have to use a lot of damping because of the oscillations so iā€™m looking forward that you release the Firmware. Thank you very much for all your work! :slight_smile:

Ok i see firmware 0.7.1 on the wiki but where is the download link :(((
Hope see it soon :wink:

3 Likes

So We cant try yet ?

Mika

No problem Iā€™m sure its at the bottom of a very long list :grinning:

I have a clockwork woodpecker on F5 now :sunglasses:

lol, waiting one more day is not the end of the world.

itā€™s there: https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_firmware_releases

glad to see it becomes public.

seems itā€™s not really open source as Tero said earlier?

plan to customize a PCB and integrate the firmware with motor control logic and drive. that would simplify the system and achieve higher update rate, etc.

the current release seems only workable on Simucube though.

1 Like

We have recognized potential problems with fully open source release, but if there are interested parties, we will release at least some relevant parts of it for open source development. Having only one place for official builds (and only one, closed-source configuration tool) also gives better user experience at this point.

Current beta release still lacks lots of FFB effects like game-controlled damping and inertia, and many things still need fine-tuning. These are the things that we will focus on next.

thanks for the quick response.

itā€™s completely up to the developers to decide how to release the firmware. and I respect and understand the decision.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s due to commercial consideration(fully open source would hurt Simucube sales). Ithink you can limit commercial use in your license if wanted.

open source does not conflict with ā€œone official buildā€ idea though if you look at those open source projects.

if I can get access to it I can have a idea on how much work is needed to adapt it to OSW or if itā€™s viable to build a custom PCB around it. not saying that I can commit to working on a OSW migration of the firmware though.

I saw someone have posted a picture of a PCB that he designed and I think thereā€™s some people interested in expanding the hardware options available for OSW. But itā€™s understandable if developers want to keep it to Simucube since Granite Devices is driving the whole thing.

Yes, you are on the right track, as that PCB had the same STM32 MCUā€¦

I have some STM32 based PCB designs (and STM32 code) for motor control applications, and those PCB can be easily modified to control a motor as a FFB wheel. I believe the guy posted that picture is in a similar position like mine, from a motor control background. but itā€™s a lot of effort to learn the FFB interface(which is the hardwork thatā€™s been done by the firmware you guys made here.)

or if Granite Devices really want to get into the FFB wheel business I believe you guys have professionals that can easily draw a single PCB to replace simucube+ioni for the FFB wheel drive purpose. that could drive the cost down from the simucube solution which is on top of a generic motor control system.

Thank you for the release.

I have a question. When i set steering rotation to 420Ā° then it doesnā€™t work correct and after a short time it sets to 889Ā° in the SimuCube software. I also tried to create a new profile with 540Ā° and it doesnā€™t work too. You can see in the steering wheel in the software rotates correct (as set in the profile) but the real steering wheel rotates always 900Ā°. So 900Ā° real steering wheel is 540Ā° rotation in software steering wheel.

Can you look into this please? Thank you very much.

Guys, thatā€™s AMAZING

First ride with SimuCube in DR and I put a new personal best immediately without any tweaks in SimuCube control - and I tried a lot to improve with my nearly 1000h in the game ,-)

Chapeau! :clap: :bowing_man:

Thanks to everyone that made this amazing piece of simracing hardware possibleā€¦

1. Mika, that spent a lot of time on programming the software - how many hours were needed up to now?

2. The people that had the initial idea of ā€˜miss-usingā€™ a servo motor control for a sim racing wheel - not sure if it was there intention what we are seeing noe, but for the community of sim racers this was one of the best things that could happen to us imho

3. All other people at Granity Devices esp. those that saw the market for a special piece of hardware (SimuCube) as a replacement for all previous setups - not sure if any of you was in the group of those that had the idea using an Argon etc. for a sim racing wheel; itā€™s the same what we are seeing in my company (Semiconductor development) - people have weird ideas what your devices can be used for, but sometimes this opens a huge market for a special IC!

4. All non public beta users that helped improving the software in the last weeks to get it to the current status

It feels so different compared to MMOS - I think MMOS added some lag compared to the G25 I was using until march (RIP ā€¦, in the last year I fixed some many weak points on it by adding custom Aluminum pieces here and there, but finally it was not fixable). Of course when it was already clear that it will reach EOL I started to look for a new wheel that matches my VPP Pedals with HyperReal Brake I read the first time about and OSW and exactly at this point SimuCube was released - today I have to say jumping on that train was the perfect choice (Thrustmasterā€™s and fanatecā€™s reliabilty issues made it impossible to choose their prodcuts - my G25 was working for >5 years before the issues started, unachievable for those products imho).

Next step is to turn my steering wheel into a bluetooth HID using an RN42 tomorrow - sofar I was using the bluetooth gamepad provided by an Adafruit BLE feather, but that was not recognized by Dirt4 and it also supported only a few buttons. With that setup it should be possible to used all buttons/rotary switches w/o cable - for Rally Driving I want to have higher angles and a cable is not really useful.

I will try with Dirt 4 tomorrow - sofar I blamed the game to not work properly, but maybe I was wrong when I see what happened in Dirt Rally.

2 Likes

Yes but why try to re design the wheel ? I have built and sold at least 50 Simucube/IONI systems with no issues, I could also redesign the board and integrate but why? to what end? how would it improve the current architecture the \IONI drive is a fantastic piece of hardware designed by the best in the field as is the Simucube

Totally agree the guys have done a fantastic job

1 Like