SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

Joe, I think at this point all the required files will be included.

Cheers,
Beano

Gagging to try this, today would be awesome as public holiday in Swiss :slight_smile:

Hopefully no major bugs were found and it will be released today :slight_smile:
Looking forward to trying it and looks pretty easy to flash from wiki thread too :slight_smile:

I got home at 4 am and to bed at 5am. Just woke up, just before noon.

There is one thing that I will have to check (thanks to Brion!) and then I will be able to release. Unfortunately, it will be 7 or 8pm before I really have time to sit and do that, but it should be possible to releaseā€¦

6 Likes

Iā€™m really looking forward to trying this stuff out as well, but in the world of software releasesā€¦ better late than ugly :slight_smile:

I donā€™t think it can get ugly after this point. Guys has been testing out for a while.
Infact if there are still faulty points to discover, public beta will be good to adress them.

1 Like

All firmware and configuration tool releases are going to be as one zip file that includes both. It will not search version from Internet for now, as backend coding is something we wonā€™t be doing at this point - maybe later.

This means, by default, that user will always extract new release as one set, so the user knows when he is updating, and this should not happen by accident.

I expect, that the ā€œall my settings are wiped outā€ -updates will be less and less frequent as the firmware stabilizesā€¦

Configuration tool will be required to switch profiles, configure motor and setting the center point. It doesnā€™t have to be installed, if the hardware is setup correctly, and the user-selectable default profile is activated at startup.

SimuCUBE uses the same driver as MMOS - that is the Microsoft-provided, standard Human Interface Device driver. It really is quite interesting driver, as it parses the HID Device descriptor from the USB and generates correct driver settings on to the PC. Nice note: With less than 10 lines of change to the code, I could make the SimuCUBE to function as a mouse.

1 Like

Yep, no ugly things. There is one thing that I will have to go the office to test and fix - but it shouldnā€™t take long once I get there. There are no concerns from this side of things, no holdback for release, which is hopefully good to hear for all of you guys.

However, I have a deadline for something PhD study related thing at midnight today, so I will of course do that first.

I must also say, that after coming home at 4am, sleep 5am to 11am, and not having slept very well the whole weekend at Nurburg, Iā€™m also quite tired :tired_face:

4 Likes

Mika

I know it not important at this stage but when do you think we will have access to the image file for branding purposes, I know I am meeting one of my customers tomorrow and I expect the question will be raised

Great news Mika!

Thanks for the detailed explanation. You told me exactly what I was hoping for.
Now a system can be completely setup before sending to a customer. :slight_smile:

Interesting note about the USB programming. Can you change 10 lines of code and have the simucube cut the lawn? LOL!!!

Did you have fun in Germany?

Very much yes.:grin:

Unfortunately Iā€™ve ran out of time and energy to make the release today.

I heard we have a new coffee machine at the office, so I have high hopes for tomorrow!

:coffee:

1 Like

If you have been to Finland and know the extreme prices for Adult Beverages, when travelling, generally, Finns have a good time :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes I have heard not to try to keep up with the Finns at the pub! :grinning:

1 Like

Good morning everyone! So is it the big day?
That coffee machine better start working :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep would think so for sure :slight_smile:
have this page ready looks pretty straight forward to update https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Installing_MMos_firmware_into_SimuCUBE

Yeah, our wiki page will get an overhaul when the beta progresses. For now, we have everything beta related just on one page.

1 Like

The mornings I usually do my other work, and get to our office late afternoon.

1 Like

Afternoon is just fine :slight_smile:

Hi Mika so thats mean arround 1-1,5 week all of Us can try the new Momos ?? Will be open for all users Simu Cube ? Best Regards Grzegorz