SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread

it might be just something to do with raceroom. since i got some weird behavior there. when the wheel was not setup correctly and also when you exit the car the wheel keeps turning.

in iracing the wheel is solid with no problems with 9.9 (tes version)

There is a post on ffb dropping on the forum since the last update for r3e. It looks like its effecting most wheels.

i think i fixed that problem because its gone since i loaded my up my old controller file into my new windows install. i think it has something to do with the wheel not beeing correctly reconized as a wheel.

this video might help you try and load my rcs file and than config your wheel.
(dropbox link in the video description)

my old pc died and i just did a fresh install to test the game and i had disconnects. than i loaded my old file and it was good.

okā€¦

im on 0.9.7 now and i can CONFIRM that there are not disconections after pause the game , going to pits, change setup or go to garage.

you can exit track again and it runs fine

there is something BTWā€¦ if you press pause and the steering wheel is pointing to left or right and there are active forces in the moment you try to exit, the steering wheel keep pushing left or right till you exit track again.

but FFB never disconects as it does in 0.9.9

i gave you Mika the FFB logs in 0.9.9ā€¦ do you want the same logs with 0.9.7?

0.9.7 logs here

Thanks. Iā€™m kind of wondering if I should keep investigating this or not, as it does seem to be something related to Raceroom only.

Thats true, could be better just wait for them to fix whatever is Broken.

I think id wait a couple days and see what happens on the r3e forum because guys are still complaining about it with other wheels. I just used r3e for the first time last night since getting my wheel so its hard to say whats right or wrong at this point. SKeijmel might be on to something though. When I restarted r3e last night it showed a new device like I didnā€™t have a wheel setup already when I did.

1 Like

I have strange Simucube disconnects. I just looses connection. Itā€™s still connected via USB, but it doesnā€™t register via the Simucube tool, I also go from two to one green light inside the Simucube. It requires a simucube power cycle to clear. Just had it happen while griding for an IMSA race, that got hairy pretty quick. This doesnā€™t sound like the USB disconnect people are experiencing?

no woman and no child this day. I am available to do a lot of tests on 0.9.9 if you want

Shorty,

The question on whether itā€™s worth the money is subjective and depends on many factors.
I was always seeming to have issues with my Oculus/sensors beng reported as USB 2.0 when they were plugged into USB 3.0 ports - this would indicate a bandwidth issue, which is my point about the cheaper (Inateck is what Oculus recommends - I donā€™t know why) USB 3.0 expansion cards.
I bought and tried the Inateck (4 port version which seems the most recommended) and it still had issues, USB 3.0 being reported as USB 2.0 and tracking power issues, which again is likely overload of the single USB controller trying to push power to multiple 3.0 devices.
If you have an Oculus, you might know that the sensors actually require the most bandwidth, not the HMD.

For some people the $27 Inateck card might work, but they are few and far between.
I havenā€™t had one single problem since installing the Startech card with itā€™s 4 dedicated USB 3.0 controllers and powered directly from the PSU (I use SATA but they provide a conversion cable if you have molex).
Windows installs the drivers, no need to bother with the manufacturer ones (I have heard they have had some issues).
I have 3 sensors and my Oculus HMD all plugged into that one card and every time without fail itā€™s perfect.

I got tired of the inconsistent experience with trying to use my motherboard and then the Inateck cards, so for me, just being able to enjoy VR without compromise was worth the extra $50.
YMMV

Hi there, just catching up with this thread. Iā€™d be more than happy to do some testing if you still need volunteers!

When I had my last wheel (G25), Raceroom was my fave go-to sim, but somehow Iā€™ve never gotten it to feel right with the OSW. Basically the road surfaces feel like glass whilst the kerbs shake the rig to bits. I thought perhaps it was the far greater resolution / detail in the OSW highlighting the gameā€™s FFB weaknesses? Either way Iā€™ve spent too many hours fiddling with the in-game sliders and in the end I just gave up.

Iā€™ll check the Raceroom thread for any more recent setup / config tips as itā€™s been a while, and will look forward to trying out some more recent firmware updates to see how it feels now. Would be awesome to be able to enjoy it again. Every other sim Iā€™ve tried with this wheel feels absolutely brilliant, itā€™s just this one Iā€™ve had issues with.

Thanks as always for the great work.

Ah, you where talking about the disappearing FFB, and I was talking about a different thing, where the SimuCUBE stops responding at all and even the Configuration Tool shows disconnected? These are completely separate things.

This is indeed the issue with 0.9.8 version. I think people are now misunderstanding the disappearing forces in Raceroom as some kind of USB disconnect issue, and they are completely separate things.

I will PM you a 0.9.9 test version!

1 Like

Hello Mika,

I can test version 0.99 from tomorrow, but only on RaceRoom, I do not play on other simu.

Mika I havenā€™t had a disconnect these past 24 hours. I would have had atleast one with the old firmware. Iā€™ll report back if I spot anything.

Question: What does the automatic commutation do?

1 Like

Automatic commutation calibrates the phase angle related to absolute encoder position. Then the wheel does not need to rock left-right on start.

This can only be done if the motor has an absolute encoder.

This current implementation is only half the story, as the SimuCUBE firmware will have to take advantage of this data so that after initial setup, the wheel will always know the center point after power-on.

Mika,
Played R3E for 3 hours last nigh and not a single problem. Well other then the ffb issue but thatā€™s a different problem. So between AC,Pcars2 and R3E ive got about 10 hours so far with no issues.

I think we are very close to 0.9.9 release. Only one additional known tester on the list who will report his experiences with the ā€œSimuCUBE dies after bootā€ issue.

5 Likes