SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 2

We’ve been thinking on how to take most advantage of the improvements in wheel centerpoint settings in the upcoming Simucube 2 True Drive 1.0.15 version.

Most difficult to get right would be the index point indexing. We are wondering on whether there would be any objections on us to remove that option?

Hi Mika, can you elaborate on how that change might impact users?

Well, index point based wheel centering would not be possible anymore.

what i don’t get is that you say Simucube 2 True Drive 1.0.15 and this is the simucube 1 thread .

True Drive firmware in next version has complete rewrite of the code related to wheel position handling, and we would like to utilize much of the same code also in Simucube 1 instead of the mess that was there previously.

3 Likes

so that means that the users will need to have biss c encoder? Quadrature & SinCos encoder will work ?

They will work, just not in the index point centering mode.

Sorry Mika, as I have forgotten how this works but, does that mean manual re-centering at startup (each session) would be needed?

No, automatic indexing based on the wheel position at the end of phase search routine could be used.

is there a possible downside ? If not i guess there won’t be any objections to this.

There are still a lot of index based encoders out there… I personally would not be in favor or dropping that feature BUT if it makes things better overall I’d adapt… but it would have to be compatible all the way down to the 2500 encoders…

What would this mean for SinCOS encoders?

Nothing. Advanced setup stuff can still be done in Granity, so all that is changing here is the way the wheel is indexed.

Imho, this will have no impact to the general user…

2 Likes

So long as the benefits outweigh the minimal downside, it’s hard to see why there should be any issues but, thank you Mika for considering our input.

And would a SinCOS user be required to do anything other than say what I am doing now - making sure the wheel is straight before turning on.

I would think not :wink:

I have a SinCos encoder on my Bogeyman setup, I am sure Mika will ask me to test the changes before it (new FW) is dropped onto the world…

2 Likes

As some point it would make sense to move along on platforms. No different to how the next version of iOS won’t work on certain older devices. You can’t have a realistic expectation of indefinite backwards compatibility. I’m not saying that time is now but people should have realistic expectation on older hardware.

SimuCube and Ioni Pro HC Boards are still being sold. So there is actually no proof for saying these parts are totally outdated and shouldn’t be supported further. There is nothing wrong to ask for further updates, especially after it has been promised.

The latest SC1 (with Biss-C encoder) is still an outstanding device that can easily compete with DD Wheels from other manufacturers. There is also no urgent need to upgrade to SC2 except for those who always wants to have the newest hardware version.

Anyway, I’m very excited to see if Mika keeps his promises. This will be of crucial importance for me whether I will continue to be a customer of GD in the future.

5 Likes

I will keep the promise. There would have been a test release already if I had not gotten a bad flu around the new year.

11 Likes

Yep, 100% accurate :slight_smile:

My first choice is SC2, 2nd choice my Bogeyman. I have owned all others, including Podium DD2 and Bodnar SS2.

So SC1 still a very good option if you want to DIY especially.

3 Likes