SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware Development Update Thread 2

Pneumonia sure is not fun. Hopefully we can have a version in internal testing within next month or so.

5 Likes

Thanx Mika, hopefully you’re already feeling better than last week when we messaged. Take it easy with pneumonia, it is a very debilitating illness.

Cheers,
Beano

1 Like

Generate listing file done
Generate build reports done
arm-atollic-eabi-objcopy -O binary …/Debug-bootloadable/SimuCUBE-firmware-TrueStudio.elf SimuCUBE-firmware.bootloadable

1 Like

We chose a method to backport sc1-specific stuff to current version of the code, so even if it now compiles, it lacks all the code that we have removed for sc2 development. So no early testing possible yet.

3 Likes

Keep me posted, I am buzzing like a bee…or like a mad test-monkey :monkey:

Good progress, thanx for the update, Mika, ready to test when it drops,!

1 Like

baby steps still, just cleaning up the code from sc2 stuff, giving a good base to rebuild sc1 code. But depends on one development on the IONI drive on what to do next, so probably will move on to the PC software bug fixes and feature updates.

2 Likes

Ha, all good, I know how much work this is for you, as always, will be there to test if needed :wink:

1 Like

Very excited for any progress here. LOVE my SC1 setup. Thanks for the update Mika.

2 Likes

Glad you are feeling better Mika!
Scary world at the moment with coronavirus panic.

Stay safe.

1 Like

Next step is to wait for final decision on whether (and on which timetable) we can implement a new protocol mode for encoder reading to IONI, as we want it to match Simucube 2 servo drive behavior. But in the event that it can’t be done or there is not enough performance for that, I would not like to do it yet. Therefore, development moves on towards

• adding static force reduction filter UI controls
  • changing filter UI controls to match Simucube 2 True Drive functionality (percentage boxes to sliders), including damping/friction/inertia filter scaling change
  • porting all the bug fixes for connection stuff to Simucube 1 UI

Going the other way - i.e. porting Simucube 1 stuff to Simucube 2 True Drive would be more work, unfortunately.

6 Likes

Sounds good. Looking forward to see new software for SC1.:grinning:

And I have Bogeyman ready for testing, haha. Hopefully it doesn’t wind me up like a pretzel :pretzel:

You gonna wind up like a pretzel LOL!!

Yeah, but I luv pain. I a masochist :joy:

Yeah I have known you are WEIRD for a few years now!:grinning:

Am I reading this right that you’re hoping that you can hopefully make the SC1 encoders behave like SC2 encoders? That way you have a single development stream?

Yes, there would be then be a single, better and more understandable code that reads encoder position and applies the required offsets for centering the wheel.

But Simucube 2 code has so much Simucube 2 specific, proprietaray stuff, that develoment is impossible to happen in the same generic branch.

3 Likes

I decided to buy a Biss-C encoder, and sounds like it will be worthwhile to make the new FW seamless - the index point thing was always a bit of a nuisance anyways as I would have to make sure my wheel was about 5-10 degrees clockwise from center before powering on an phasing/indexing.

These things are very hard to find these days, glad I found one of the nice ones made by MiGe and used in the last of the SC1 units sold.

If I may ask, where did you find the encoder? I might want to go that route as well.

https://www.jcl-simracing.com/fr/simucube-2-direct-drive-volants-roues-et-qr1/474-sincos-encoder-pour-moteur-mige.html?search_query=Biss&results=1