SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware: Beta version 0.5.X BUG Reports

Hey Beano…I think you found the issue.:heart_eyes:

I have always had the SimuCube UI open in my fifth touch screen window. Would have never thought the UI could cause an issue like that.

Closed GUI after reading this post and ran 30 laps at 22bit (4M) in an official practice without a single glitch. I hit some curbing hard and slides that guaranteed would have offset the steering at 22bit.
I was driving around and everytime I hammered a curb I thought 'here ii goes" but it was rock solid as it should be.

Ha, do it wasn’t my imagination then :slight_smile:

Ok, at least I suspect something causing USB Comms interruption, as there was no USB disconnect, only as if Comms stopped momentarily and then resumed. I am also noticing the new wheel animation is a little glitchy/slow/latent to respond.

Come think of it, this is the first USB issue I have had and it was on,y now with this version GUI.

Might point Mika in some direction, hopefully not the wrong one :lol:

Earlier today I had what felt like the feedback stop for a fraction of a second the resume. I thought it might have been in my head at the time.

just to add to that, as I said, I only had time to test 5.0 for 20mins or so yesterday morning, but I did also experience a very short loss of all feedback for maybe half a second or so (Ferrari 643 at Imola).
(not really helpful feedback, I know, but I didn’t have time to investigate because I had to leave)

Good data for sure. Might have some ideas already, but I’m also releasing a debug version soon.

1 Like

BUMPSTOP ISSUE -

Usability Issue - Not a Bug as such… But when the wheel is turned into the dampening Bumpstop effect range of the Bumpstop… If the wheel is released for any reason it currently gets tossed back into wheel range not dangerously by itself but that action could cause a major oscillation if in a spin or a wreck where the wheel is riding on the Bumpstop… thinking it may also need a friction increase to slow the return action of the wheel back to the beginning of the Bumpstop Range. It feels really good entering but it is just acting like a loaded spring and of course increasing the strength of the Bumpstop makes it worse. NOTE played more and it is pretty bad in that it will do a considerable toss being only one degree into the range.

Also in the pop-up descriptor you might want to make note of the 20degree max range for the effect range.

And I don’t actually think the dampening is doing anything at all just making the wheel gritty at higher levels as with the ramp range at 20 degrees and the force at 70 it feels the same strength wise in the ramp angle with or without dampening except for the gritty feeling if dampening is set higher. It actually gives the impression that something is wrong with the wheel… I am thinking a friction increase with the number of degrees into the Ramp range would be a better method of doing what I think was intended in making the wheel heavier as it went deeper into the Bumpstop (although that seems to occur with just the ramp up in strength so I am not sure any filtering is needed except to try to stop the Loaded spring effect mentioned above.

Nice to see you added Negative range so that the ramp up can occur outside Steering range. Still torn on the “from axis” setting but with the negative it makes more sense and with the added calculation for the lock to lock I think we are good.

On that Negative Range the initial calculation when you click out of resetting the steering range with a negative number doesn’t calculate correctly… ie move from 900 with a -10 degree from axis to 1080 and the initial calculation comes up as 1060 rather than 1100. Only when you change a number in the Bumpstop Range does it recalculate correctly.

RELOAD ISSUE -

There is still the reload issue regarding the notch filter in that it is not saving the settings you make unless they are in whole numbers… i.e. I have 7.0 CF, -5.0 Adb, .1 Q and if I change them to 7.5, -5.5, .1 and save… then change them and reload it goes back to the originals… but if I save 8.0, -6.0 it saves and reloads fine…

As well With the other filters it is still not saving values quite correct but it is better in that it will save dual decimals but when I tried 5.59% on the Dampening it always reloads at 5.58%. One instance there might be others but this is one I found.

Yea it is more than one instance… .99 inertia switched to .97, 2.09 Friction went to 2.08, 10.59 dampening went to 10.58… though there are some numbers it will come up correct.

ANALOG CONFIGURATION…

I had this window crash out on me while repeatedly checking the brake calibration, been trying to repeat, unsuccessfully… When it crashed out it was more like it just got an random OK as it went back in with no issue so it may have been my computer playing games.

I think the Wheel animation just needs to be a Higher Resolution image to look smoother as you see the aliasing around the wheel jumping around… It also doesn’t quite rotate around center 1 degree off and it drops down to the left or right.

Looks better but not quite perfected yet…

Its best that can be done via the Qt based tool scaling and rotating the image by itself.

I actually reported this myself. This has been fixed already.

Hi guys,
To be honest, I think the earlier version without the wheel looked better.

Just my humble opinion. I like the rotating disk with the dimple Mika used before.

1 Like

Yep, it was simple and beautiful. Actually, I managed to make the new version to look just slightly better just now. It will be in the next release.

I’m with you there.
No need for a rim image

Great, Thanx Mika.

Lols at Sean

I’ve released 0.5.2.

Please take note if the debug simplemotion bus fault counter increases by one if you have a momentary loss of ffb.

Does “crash out” mean that the dialog closed?

There is code that closes all open dialogs if a disconnection or a wrong packet is detected from SimuCUBE to the configuration tool, so that might explain a dialog that closes. But not sure what crash means…

Trying to stop the wheel to the bumpstop range start when it returns from the torque generating range would just make it feel very weird. Remember that the firmware cannot know if you have hands on wheel or not.

The maximum range is kind of obvious as one cannot set it higher than 20 degrees…

These bumpstop settings seem to be very sensitive to motor power and encoder accuracy. I think I will add a low pass filtering there. But, there could be something else wrong there too…

just updated to 0.5.2
Bug’s:

1. Bumpstop range can’t be set to negative value anymore
    had it set on -10% with a 10% ramp range in version 0.5.1., which was perfect for me

2. Set Value for Attenuation dB
    -1.9 dB get set to 1.8 dB
    -1.8 dB - OK
    -1.7 dB get’s 1.6 dB
    -1.6 dB - OK
    -1.5 dB - OK
    -1.4 dB get’s 1.3 dB
    -1.3 dB - OK
    -1.2 dB get’s 1.1 dB
    -1.1 dB - OK
    -1.0 dB - OK

3. Other filters value for Dampening and Inertia still get reduced as reported before
    for Dampening 0.31%
    for Inertia 0.62%

Question:
The Debug value of SimpleMotionV2 communication faults is already 1 when I start the wheel. Is that right?

It seems that for some reason, the bumpstop angle offset now acts very strangely. Please keep E-STOP handy while setting it!!

This was new to me, and I was now able to repeat it.

This bug I haven’t been able to reproproduce at all. Still investigating!

Yes, the fault is introduced by purpose during some initialization routines, but should of course never happen when staying in “Operational” mode.