SimuCUBE Open Source Firmware: Beta version 0.4.1 BUG Reports

Known, and not classifying this as an issue as of yet. I will fix this when we get closer to 1.0 :slight_smile: No point in using time to set it up known when we all know that options are still being added/removed.

the 'q factor` setting is not being saved.
i set it to 0.5, then ‘save settings to simcube’.
set it to some other value (3.1), wait for 10 seconds, then ‘reload settings from simcube’

the value is 0.1

What setting did you have in Granity before upgrading to the SimuCube Firmware?

Just trying to determine for Mika whether the Load from SimuCUBE is actually loading from the IONI or the SimuCUBE. Unfortunately I am not near my system this weekend to try this out.

If it is pulling from the IONI but you save to the SimuCUBE, right now as long as you don’t “Load form SimuCUBE” you will not (or should not) lose the setting the next time you turn it off and then back on.

Simucube; IONI Pro HC; Small Mige; 10,000 ppr; Mean Well 480/720W.
Windows 7 (64)

As you have taken the trouble to develop this excellent Open Source Firmware, and given me the opportunity to test, I thought it only fair to report back. It took me quite some time and many steps (I have a detailed log) to install and set up the new Beta firmware, but most of that was due to my own stupidity. I’ve tested only in Assetto Corsa and everything is working well and very stable. No issues in game yet.

I’ve been testing the SimuCUBE Configuration Tool and Granity. I do not know if they are bugs, but will report anyway:

1. When I powered up my Simucube box this morning, some of the settings in the Profile settings were different to when I powered down last night. The Other Filter settings had changed by a few decimal points. eg 0.58% instead of 0.60%.

2. In Profile Settings, setting Centre frequency to “Filter disabled” will grey out the Attenuation and Q factor boxes, but this is not reflected in Granity where Attenuation and Q factor boxes remain ‘active.’

3. Once you start altering settings in Profile Settings, the red message flashes to remind you to save, but there is no way to undo. You must save to remove the flashing message. Even shutting the Config Tool and re-opening does not get rid of the message. So it you want to revert to the settings you had before changing them, you have to do it manually and then save what is exactly the same settings.

4. I you click ‘Enable Ioni USB configuration’ and then accidentally open a second SimuCUBE Config Tool instead of Granity, and then close down the extra Config Tool you didn’t want, it mucks up all your settings in the first opened Config Tool. As below. eg Before it was Steering angle 900, overall strength 100% and Torque bandwidth 3300 Hz.

These rogue setting are not repeated in Granity. If you re-save your settings in Granity and then click ‘Disable Ioni USB configuration’ the Profile Settings return to the correct ones.

General Comments.
(a) In Other Filters you can just type in the new number and it sets to that %. However, I found it difficult to set Centre frequency HZ and Attenuation dB with the keyboard until I realised the Hz and dB in the boxes are ever present. This reflects how it is in Granity.
(b) It is not possible to reduce the SimuCUBE Configuration Tool window on the desktop so that only the Profile Settings part is showing. That would be useful.

Really enjoying the new Firmware thanks.

OK, strange. I think the saving and loading of settings will get a little look before release of public beta…

My Granity also greys out the Attennuation and Q factor when center freq is disabled. This is by design, and there might be a bug in either software here… :slight_smile:

Reload settings from SimuCUBE flash should remove this message. I don’t believe we need some intermediate type of undo function?

Expected, as both would then ask some reports from SimuCUBE and they will get messed up if the timing of questions/answers is right. I will attempt to prevent user to opening multiple tools at some point.

The UI is very much work in progress. Once we have “kind of” everything we need, I have plans to make the UI tabbed so that profile and status informations are on the first tab and seldomly used stuff on the second tab.

1 Like

as of now, nothing to be added as a bug by me what has not been already reported
(had to power down several times before firmware was loaded)

AC feels great, but I think the gain varies according to car and track, but in general, road feel seems more distinct

1180°
100%
tbw 3300
recon 7

tried:
Abarth AC at Imola, at Silverstone International
Alfa Romeo GTA at Nords, at Silverstone national
Lotus Evora S at Imola, at Miseluk

In rf2 FFB seems to be equally good but it does have some spikes, so it seems
tried at Portugal

recon doesn’t make that much a difference for me in AC, but I have to test that more thoroughly (I run FFB at full frequency).
(maybe it’s co-dependent on Granity settings? haven’t touched those, yet).

anyway, this is already better than MMOS.

[quote=“bsohn, post:63, topic:374, full:true”]
What setting did you have in Granity before upgrading to the SimuCube Firmware?

Just trying to determine for Mika whether the Load from SimuCUBE is actually loading from the IONI or the SimuCUBE. [/quote]

I was using 0.5 for the q factor in Granity before the update to this firmware.

Hmmm interesting, wonder where it is getting the .1 from… Have to try to duplicate…

I haven’t duplicated this as of yet, but things might be coming from casting double to int, which truncates the decimals.

Edit: Adding, that now it works exactly the same way Granity itself does it. Lets try to find out if the bug repeats in Granity as well?

This is now impossible. Thanks for the report.

Hello,
First, thank you for this dev !
After few hours of test with iracing, two observation :
Simucube ioni pro hc "Little"mige

1. No really bug i think, if i set tbw more than 680 hz i have Little “grrrrrrr” sound when i move the wheel and can feel cogging.
  2. I do many times ALT +TAB without issues but one loose totaly the wheel, ffb and direction stop work. This case, ispeed was open…restart computer and ok.

Well I found a small bug which someone else I think found on here as well in that the Save to SimuCUBE is not correctly saving the Notch Filter settings. all the other settings is is saving and reloading fine but when I adjust my current settings of 7.0Hz, -5.0db and 0.1 to 7.5Hz, -5.5db and 0.1 it just will not save and hold… the load settings pulls it back to the other settings… What is strange is that it saved them somehow in the first place that way but it will not allow adjustment it appears as I have turned off the Notch and Saved and it seemed to hole and then the first time turning it back on it saved but making small adjustments it doesn’t seem to hold.

OK Figured it out a little further… It is NOT holding and saving decimals… it will save and hold whole numbers…

And as an addition the Dampening, Friction, and Inertia settings are saving rounded to the nearest .05 so you cannot do a setting of say 5.77% and have it hold it changes to 5.75% when saved,

today I encountered a strange bug:
When I switched on everything after yesterday, the wheel is centered to -90 degrees exactly.
Sure, realigning and pressing reset center helped for the session.

Which indexing mode are you using? Was the wheel nudged to the same direction at power on?

I ran into this as well.

I lost FFB all together last night with iRacing.

I was outside the car, made a FFB adjustment with the GUI, then dropped back into the pits and released the e-stop… nothing. no FFB at all. when i switched back to the GUI, it said “can not connect” or “not connected” or something (i didn’t get a screenshot).

I closed the GUI, re-opened it, same thing. No connection, no FFB.

I closed the GUI, turned off the simcube, then turned it back on and loaded the GUI. It worked fine again. This has only happened to me once and it was fine the rest of the night.

Does the GUI generate any log files? Anything you want me to send?

indexing is done during phasing. I set the wheel this way up from the beginning.

I don’t remember how the wheel was when powering up. Unfortunately I didn’t pay attention to that.

So, then the wheel phasing started with the wheel not within the same motor pole quadrant as when you did the wizard. This is not a bug, its a limitation that can’t be overcome.

If you want to have always centered wheel regardless of where your wheel is upon startup, then you should use the index point indexing. Keep in mind, that in this mode, the new firmware does not find the index point during phasing, it has to be always manually turned over the index point after phasing.

The GUI does not generate any logs. There is a feature being planned, that would download a debug log from the firmware. There is only one reason why “Couldn’t connect to Ioni, trying to reconnect.” would appear in the status field, and that is what it says, the firmware has lost connection to Ioni. There will be no FFB and no steering either in that mode.

The reconnection routine to Ioni is based on a watchdog: Ioni does not get data for given period of time, it resets to default baud rate, connection is re-established, and baudrate is again reliably reset to much higher than default to enable speedy operating modes. Here at the office it works very well. I don’t know why it would not recover from it, or get stuck in that mode.

I will want to add, that if this ever happens again, try the following:
Press Enable Ioni USB configuration button and OK in the dialog that opens.
Wait a few seconds.
Press the same button again. This should regain connection to Ioni drive. If it does not, then its more than likely that Ioni has gone into some strange mode…