Simucube Ioni Pro first power on

Thanks Phillip. Only the 48V power, an earth wire between the power supply and the GND pin and the USB cable are connected. No servo power, or position encoder or emergency stop.

Just tried removing / re-installing Defuse as admin. No change.

When I have plugged in the Ioni board it reports a Comms Error. Is that normal?

Comms error where? Are you trying to access via Granity?

The orange LED on the Ioni Pro card flashes LSSS which I think means a communication error. It’s done that every time I have plugged it in.

Sorry to be nuisance. I haven’t run into this kind of problem before. I have built a fully working SFX100 rig and this OSW Simucube will be its crowning glory.

Progress! The board is OK. I have just installed Defuse into my Win 8 laptop together with the 11.2 FW. Defuse can see the board fine. I have selected the FW. It is reporting that the device is in DFU mode so the Vid, Pid and Bcd will be put into the dfu file. Should I continue?

Yep, just press continue…/

Like I advised earlier, follow these steps in section 3 as well, it will help you understand what to do a lot easier :wink:

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/SimuCUBE_Firmware_User_Guide

Upload successful! Hooray!

Also in the link I have posted, a lot of supporting information on how to configure it etc…

Great! Thank you for your patience.

I’ve been married 29 years, of course I have a lot of patience :joy:

But anyway, glad you’re making progress!

1 Like

I am still connecting Simucube to my Win 8 laptop and everything is nice and stable. I have both USB cables plugged in. The two DIP switches are in the normal position. Windows devices reports FT230X Basic UART and the STM32 Bootloader. I can connect using Granity and connect to the Ioni Pro drive and it reads the configuration correctly. I have installed FW 1.7.12 successfully onto the Ioni drive. I used Defuse to upload FW 11.2 into Simucube. I verifed the flash and clicked Leave DFU mode before I quit. I have connected the small Mige and the emergency stop button in the stop position.

The problem I have is the next step – getting Simucube Configuration Tool to do anything. Under the advance tab everything is greyed out and reporting “Disconnected” Operating Mode in red

What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you need to set the motor parameters inside granity.

Should it be in the stop position? Doesn’t that stop the motor if it needs to be turned off suddenly? I believe it should be normally closed but don’t quote me.

Thank you for the suggestions! I think the main problem is that even though I have flashed 11.2 FW Simucube hasn’t gone into firmware update mode. That means that it will not be seen by the PC as a gaming device. At this stage it doesn’t matter about the status of the emergency switch or whether the servo is connected.

I have flashed the board twice and watched that the update went correctly with verification. I also manually verified it after that as well but it is stubbornly hanging onto bootloader mode.

The dip switch might need to be cycled several times.

1 Like

Thank you for the promising suggestion! Unfortunately, I cycled Simucube 5 times power off/on with DIP switch 1 (normal/DFU mode) in different positions but it is still showing STM Device in DFU mode in the Device Manager and STM32 Bootloader in Devices and Printers.

Did you use the correct button in DfuSeDemo? The buttons on the LEFT side will download the device FW content and safe it to the file, while the ones on the right will do the the opposite which is what you want. Possibly you might have overwritten the bootloader.dfu file with empty device content, so please try with a fresh one from the .zip file.

Brilliant deduction Mika! Its working now and is now showing Simucube in Firmware Upgrade Mode.

Could I suggest that a note/warning of some kind be put into the Wiki about Defuse and the left hand / right hand boxes :slight_smile: