Simucube ActivePedal announced

Well, so much for that phantasy upgrade . . . yikes!

Few years ago my hobby was real life racingā€¦ amateurish time attack and track day events mostly. Building and modifying real car and then racing and braking it - woow so much fun and adrenaline, but very very expensive. And thatā€™s why I sold everything and I moved to simracing.
Now looking at the pedals price (and generally all hardware and sim racing stuff lately) it makes me wonder If I want to switch back to real life racing :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yikes, spendy, but I want to try it anyway. Howeverā€¦

ā€¦simucube.com wonā€™t let me put in a US address for a pre-order.

Where can US customers pre-order?

Previously I purchased pedals (SC Pro) directly from simucube.be which was Granite Devices site, but the new website doesnā€™t seem to support US anymore.

Okeyā€¦ Okeyā€¦ I have ALWAYS bought stuff thats way more expensive than I should have. I dont know why, but I just always want the ā€œbetterā€ product ā€œno matter the costā€. But Simucube, I meanā€¦ This is to expensive to justify even for someone like me. Like, waaaay to expensive to justify. Iā€™m sorry, but there is no way I would be comfortable using that amount of cash on only one or two pedals. This is sadly the truth. I love my Simucube 2 Pro! Absolutely love it. But I (and many many others I strongly believeā€¦) will not be buying that/those pedals if the price does not come a long way down. Itā€™s ok if the price donā€™t goes down, I will not change away my Simucube 2 Pro no matter what :sunglasses: Iā€™ll just go with the Heusinkveld Ultimate+ pedals instead. But I really have to admit that this price was not even close to what I was thinking it would be.

ā€œCreated by usā€ it is said. From us (Sim Racers) to us (Sim Racers). But that saying really can not have any foundation in reality if the pricerange is so high up there that just a small percentage of us will buy it. The rest will just be sitting wondering what it feels like. Hehe, look at me going all out in the emotions here lol :joy: What I am trying to say is, its to expensive guys. Way to expensive. And I think you understand that :blush:

5 Likes

I have to say, the price was a shock. Weā€™re talking 3x the price of a high-end hydraulic set.

Like many others, I picked up simracing as a substitute to track days and club racing (and cost was one of the factors for the switch), and authenticity is very important to me. But I still consider myself a casual simracer. And although I feel relatively privileged financially, even buying a single pedal (if that was even possible) would feel extravagant to me.

So I think I just have to accept that Iā€™m not in the target market. I guess theyā€™re really targeting the professional market: race teams, pro drivers, maybe e-sports and rentals.

Hopefully in a few years there will be a more affordable ā€œSportā€ version.

1 Like

The slogan ā€œsimracing wonā€™t be the sameā€ although is pointing towards us simracers. I donā€™t think it is a product for racing teams. And also not e racing teams. They all have to use the same hardware. And Granite doesnā€™t have rigs, or shifters

Hello, iā€™m looking forward to see some ideas of you refering to: If using ā€œonlyā€ one pedal as brake,how to run the other pedals technically and visually (kinda) appealing?
i have no experience with other pedals then logi/fana/aseā€¦
thanks in advance,lg

GamerMuscle video on ActivePedals

Hereā€™s the feedback from a real-life driver, Race Beyond Matter, he seems quite enthused about the pedals:

At 50-60% of the asking price, I would have bought it. Iā€™m not saying they are not worth the asking price, just that it will be a hard swallow even for serious simracers. Understood that the development cost for something like this, manufactured in small amounts, using premium materials, will be high. But Iā€™m not cknfudent the simracing world is ready to pay the price. Professional teams will have the funds if course.

1 Like

To me the price is a shock, way beyond everything I imagined. We were guessing for weeks what it will be, the one holly grail changing simracing for ever.
Not totally sure, but not a single person was betting on pedals. Although we all know that sentence: ā€œyou should first upgrade pedals before anything elseā€. Still, we all missed.
The pedals are getting great reviews. I just ask myself: there are people saying that TD is too complicated, that itā€™s offering too much options. I donā€™t agree with this opinion, but wonder how they gonna react when they see the pedal softwareā€¦and how the reaction will be when TD and pedal software are coming in a single UI.
I am not sure what the benefits are for those racing cars not having abs braking? Which games are delivering the data needed for the system, or is the system delivering the data itself if there are not available? If it works without the extras, what will then justify the exorbitant price? The pedals are so heavy and huge, will this not have a negative impact on the structure of our rigs? The really special one, according to Simcube,is the brake pedal. ABS and traction control are not important for me, because all I drive has it forbidden. RPMā€¦okā€¦ telemetry based FFBā€¦ telemetry from where? Or from who (telemetry based FFB is something we wish to have for our DD, but it seems there is no game delivering exactly what is needed.
I myself will see what the future brings. These pedals are something maybe one day will be good for formula cars aswell

It was a gargantuan resources and time investment effort.
Hopefully it pays off for GD, for myself and probably good majority of sim racers, just an interesting, never put hands on concept, at least in this iteration.
Meanwhile in the wheelbase software development world, crickets and tumbleweeds. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Lol, had to translate the text! Itā€™s a very nice and totally funny way to describe a quite dry situation :joy:
PS: immho you deserve a heart for the cool writing style and the choice of words. Not to forget, the content is also absolutely topā€‹:crossed_fingers::+1:

ABS will be a nice feature and the selling point for many buyers, but the true innovation comes from simulating any pedal by tuning the software: travel and stiffness, create 2 stages braking

1 Like

Spent last few days adjusting stiffness, travel, distance between pedals, pregap, and gas pedal offset for proper heel-toeing with new Simtrecs Pro Pedal GT
Was driving on weekend getting used to them and developing proper muscle memory to get more or less consistent with brake application.
Canā€™t imagine how on the fly adjustment via software would be of any help in my use case, it takes forever to set it right and and get used to, why would anyone want to keep changing it.
I can see some application for public or team used sim rigs, but for individual, hardly any value at all.

Road cars VS GT cars VS classic carsā€¦

I have Invicta pedals and changing curves does the trick, but not perfect because the mechanical tune is set to Formula type cars

Foa congrats to your new pedal set!! I saw a review from simracingcockpit, very interesting product. I wonder if there is a 2pedal setā€¦
Question: how much time did you invest in getting to know the software, and how much time does it take to adjust everything in the software?

I think one of the main selling points of the active pedals is that you can easily tune them via software to real-world measurements. And GD said they would provide profiles based on real-world measurements.

Theyā€™re just too expensive for me but, for a pro driver, I can definitely see the benefit of using software to precisely reproduce the feel of a real pedal, instead of tinkering with combinations of metal springs and elastomers (which donā€™t offer the same granularity and precision).

You really adjust pedals for individual car type?
Besides muscle memory it requires some additional adjustments in positioning gas pedal relative to brake pedal stiffness and range of travel to do heel toe properly. Why giving yourself such a hard time, itā€™s like you never learn your pedals to get any sort of consistency. :man_shrugging:

Not much, itā€™s the same principle as using DIView for HE with some usability improvements.