Simucube 3 on the horizon?

There was chatter GSI could be releasing a new powered QR for simucube. Who knows.

I was the OP of this chat. Just made the purchase of an SC2 pro. Really hope the SC3 isn’t right around the corner!

Where did you see this chatter? Wondering if we saw the same thing, but hoping to hear multiple sources. If true that would be huge.

Same rig, same company, same rating❤️

Gomez made a collaboration with Granite, a limited edition wheel. The wheel has a USB cable, and most likely has to run through a powered hub (like almost all steering wheels with display and LED’s have to).

Please, guys, think: how the heck is it possible to make a powered QR, when the other side (the Simucube side) has no appropriate connection?? And the limited wheel is running with a coiled cable and a USB adapter??

And how would Gomez release a powered QR before a DD company has released the appropriate product??

Gomez, like others, has access to the Asetek QR system. This way Asetek made sure people will buy their DD. Which they wouldn’t if it means to be forced to buy an Asetek steering wheel.

1 Like

If I get divorced, will you marry me?? Never thought there is a Simracing soulmate :joy:

images (2)

Wisely!

I haven’t invested in “ecosystem”, I’ve invested in a wheelbase. Ecosystem is a series of products that are either designed to work together or rely on each other to work at all. My SC investment is neither.

I fail to see a product that would be so much better that I needed to upgrade the base, especially when such base would be so expensive that return of investment wouldn’t make any sense to do so. I have tested only “lesser” DD wheels compared to SC and even that difference is difficult to measure if they are not compared right after each other in the same rig.

But I haven’t driven with Asetek wheels, so maybe the testers who changed from SC for example bought it full price and got good value by changing. Miracles happen.

2 Likes

The reason someone with a simucube 2 would need to upgrade would be if an SC3 comes out and they only continue software for the SC2 for 2-3 years after like SC1. Then you’ll eventually be falling behind with software improvements.
Eventually we assume iRacing will improve its engine and provide the ability to refine FFB even more. If SC2 was already EOL then you’d have to upgrade.

Hi all, I am also seriously considering to change to Simucube or Asetek, and also I would be not happy if I decide to go with Simucube now and x months after they release the 3rd generation…
I have now a Fanatec DD2 and I have some issues, that’s the reason to consider the change, I always had the idea that Simucube was the king of the hill, the top of the top, but after many watching/reading lately I got the clear impression that Asetek just got the simucube technology and improved it in a significative way, adding also the good extras of other popular brands (like Fanatec) like the powered QR, so that is why I add Asetek to the list of options with Simucube, and for everything I watched/read seems to me now the Asetek invicta is looking a little better than the SC2 Pro (I have no real experience with any of them of course, I know posting this in a Simucube forum maybe is not good idea… :slight_smile: ). Also I have the nightmare I decide to go for the Invcta and a week later Simucube release the SC3 Pro that release powered QR, better slew rate, and get again the position of the top of the hill…
In any case, reading some old post in this same Forum, I saw a guy in 2021 or 2020 I think asking the exact same question “Is there a plan to release a 3rd generation soon?” and Mika from Granite immediately gave him a very clear cut answers, that for that year or the following there was no 3rd generation planned. The interesting point I would like to point out here is that in this post I saw Mika answering but in a very different way, in fact not answering the real question, not saying if there is plan or not for a 3rd gen soon, but answering other point instead… could this “no answer” from Mika now be an indication of a real possibility???.. any ideas? (Mika, of course if you want to give us some clue if there is plan for the new gen “soon” you are welcomed of course :slight_smile: )

Let me see …

1 Like

The way I see it, GD is a small company with limited resources, developing brand new wheelbase is not a small feat and seems like the last year if not longer they were busy with ActivePedals, it’s not unreasonable to assume that they just didn’t have time or people to work on a parallel project.
Which means that for at least another year of few SC2 will still be current with some FW and SW updates trickling down from ActivePedals, like telemetry support, new UI, etc.
And may be lower torque SC2 model, like SC2 Enthusiast or something.

If that’s true then they could have some problems in the next 1-3 years. The competition is catching up (or even exceeding them?) on FFB performance, and out-innovating them on QoL features. Simucube doesn’t seem to be the kind of company that would let that happen for too long.

I also find it hard to believe that SC3 hasn’t already been in development for years now. SC2 turns 5 this year. These types of products have long lead times that have already been defined on a roadmap that was written up even further back then that.

In the end we’re all just placing bets here :). Until SC3 is announced we’ll have no actual idea, but the speculation is fun. Will be interesting to see who winds up being right.

FWIW, I can’t see SC ever competing with Fanatec, Simagic and Moza in the 10-15Nm segment. Margins are probably much lower in that segment than at the high end, and the Chinese brands probably have much lower manufacturing costs. Also, if ActivePedal is any indication, SC is aiming for the top end or even pro-sumer market. I doubt very much that there will ever be an offering below the Sport. I just hope I’ll be able to afford the entry-level SC3.

Also, we’ve reached a point where the DD wheelbase technology is quite mature. It’s unlikely that there will be a big jump in hardware anytime soon. There’s only so much torque people can use. So I agree that software (including APIs and telemetry) will probably be the differentiator going forward.

Meanwhile, Mika is probably ROFL reading these speculative posts.

As an ex owner of Argon based OSW, I’d say it was already mature enough then and there wasn’t huge jump in QoL when moving to SC2 except may be Recon filter, MMOs already had all other things.
And I am sure SC1 owners do not feel any urge to upgrade to SC2 either as functionally they are pretty much piers.
And we are still waiting for some new killer features coming to SC2 to start truly differentiating two.
It’s useless debate as everyone will try to convince himself of one thing or another, if you are looking for an excuse to not buy SC2, you can always find hundreds of them.
As an SC2 owner, I personally do not care, if SC3 substantially better to dump SC2, I’ll do it on a whim, but I really doubt that this will be the case, as I would probably still keep SC1 if I had one.

By “mature”, I meant that no manufacturer has a significant technological advantage anymore. Now that Fanatec has seen the errors of its ways and pretty much dropped the DD1/DD2 design, most manufacturers (except maybe Logitech and TM) are converging on a SC-like design.

To go back to the question of which wheelbase to buy now, I actually think the decision process is quite simple.

Can you wait? If so, then wait until you can’t wait anymore.

You can’t wait? Then there are 2 questions:

1. Do you trust the reviewers that rate the Asetek Invicta higher than SC2 Pro?

2. Asetek is a relatively new player with gen 1 products. SC2 has been around for over 4 years and is proven to be bullet-proof. How much do you value that?

If the answer to 1 is yes and the answer to 2 is “I’m willing to bet on Asetek”, then buy the Invicta and don’t look back.

By the way, by bullet-proof I really mean shock-proof. While transferring my SC2 to my aluminum rig, I dropped it from about 2ft on a hard surface, without any consequence at all.

See if this help with purchase decision process.

1 Like

Thanks for this. It’s another confirmation that the Invicta is noticeably faster somehow, and in a good way. I think it’s fair to say by now that all of those reviewers weren’t making this up.

I don’t care if the next SC is faster, as long as you can still adjust the speed! But I would like the money to go to other development areas.

Let’s change the value from Nm/ms to Nm/s!!!
Sc2 U - 9500 Nm/s
Sc2 P - 8000 Nm/s
Sc2 S - 4800 Nm/s

What slew rate is high enough? And for what situations do we need a higher slew rate?

We are already in the area that is dangerous for adults, broken bones are very likely for children and there is no solid evidence that such an ultra-fast slew rate is beneficial for the FFB-signal,
but to remain fair there are only simple emotional statements that an ultra-high Slew-Rate is better. Both on YouTube and in forums!!!

grafik
“Comparison of steering angle spectra, according to [14]
The rally driver is Petter Solberg at the Argentina Rally as part of the 2002 World Championship”
Source: Rennwagentechnik Band4 (red-rallydriver / green-normaldriver)

Let’s simulate an oversteering signal at an utopian 5Hz and at an utopian 32Nm. Most signals of this type are at 1Hz or much lower and at much lower torque!
To make it easier to calculate, the waveform is triangle and not sine. So the true slew rate is probably !!a little!! higher.
What else there is to know is that the oversteering FFB signal is countered by a control input signal from the driver of the same frequency. This means nothing else that we are starting to countersteer when oversteering begins and we are stopping countersteer when the car no longer oversteers. This is the reason for picture of the spectral analysis of Mister Solberg’s steering behavior.
So…
1/5Hz = 0,2s
We need just one half wave…
0,2s/2 = 0,1s
And we need only the time from zero torque to full torque…
0,1s/2 = 0,05s or 50ms
So our oversteering signal at a utopian 5Hz and also at a utopian 32Nm needs a slew rate of…
32Nm/50ms = 0,64Nm/ms

utopian values!so…
Let’s do another calculation @ a realistic freq.
However, we stick with the triangle signal and the torque. We stay at that upopian torque to make the slew rate artificially higher.
At the exit of a sharp right curve(for example “La Source” @Spa) we accelerate quickly, our LSD-Diff locks immediately and our rear oversteers, our tires leave two nice black stripes on the asphalt. !!!We have to countersteer to the left for one single second!!!
So…
What freq we are talking about?
1s*2 = 2s
1/2s = 0,5Hz
The oversteering signal is at 0,5Hz!

what slew rate do we need?
2s/4 = 0,5s or 500ms
32Nm/500ms = 0,064Nm/ms

Here the slew rate for the SC2 Pro…
25Nm/500ms = 0,05Nm/ms
And here the slew rate for the SC2 Sport
17Nm/500ms = 0,034Nm/ms

An example of mine in rF2… For those who don’t know. rF2 is known for its very active FFB, but this is one of more charming ones!!!
A Scatter-Plot in Motec. The blue cross always shows the maximum slew rate (1.5 or 0.65 Nm/ms), the red cross shows what slew rate would look like without any restrictions. This means that every point above the True Drive Slew Rate gets a second point exactly at the True Drive Slew Rate Limit. In addition, some points are colored green; green points mean that these “sample points” are curps.
X-Axis shows the torque in Nm
Y-Axis shows the slew rate in Nm/ms

True Drive Slew Rate is reduced down to 1,5Nm/ms… Mika’s recommendation

Witch is a good value for an ultimate! Only some spikes were killed! The slew rate of 1,5Nm/ms is less than 0,18s activated(Histogram) of overall 16s of curps.(1,125% time of the curps feel smoother)

I go much lower, down to 0,65Nm/ms @ 32Nm but not deeper!! Just to get more “compressed” kerps.
1,7s activated slew rate of overall 16s of curps. (10,625% time of the curps feel smoother)

I use this calculation (Torque/100*X)–>X=2or3or4or5 Mika seems to use 4,7…@ 4,7 I get 1,5Nm/ms @ full power for an ultimate. But that is speculation. I don’t know how he get this value!

Someone said that he tested 1,5Nm/ms with a Pro…I think @ 25Nm in ACC and the curps are no longer existent!!!

0,06s activated slew rate of overall 16s of curps. (0,375% time of the curps feel smoother)
You should ask the ACC developers for an FFB Channel in Motec, they already got Motec support. You just need a the FFB output channel. That makes it so easy to setup your FFB ingame and in the True Drive software!

I really can’t understand some of the statements, claims or reviews made here, some of them really don’t make any sense.

Lastly, one more thing. For those who think the Asetek is faster because of the different ratio of torque and slew rate is another than GD’s SC2. You have to hit the wall at 200mph or 320kph, then use an oscilloscope and a wired wheelbase to tell the difference between a GD and an Asetek Why?Because we are talking about 0,5ms or 0,0005s!!! :wink:

Have a Nice Day!

3 Likes

:joy::joy: good one bro…let me know what the outcome is.

1 Like