Simucube 3 on the horizon?

1 Like

Specifically on this question- watch the Boosted Media Invicta review because Will covers this topic (vs. SC2 Pro). He claims that the increased speed of the Invicta made it so that in certain situations with certain cars (I think this was ACC?) the car itself caught the slide thanks to natural centering forces that are similar to what a real car does. This probably depends heavily on the sim, the car, and the situation- but it was a notable difference for him.

I’ve only driven on-track at race speeds once myself (Nurburgring) so I can’t really say how realistic this is. But it was a concrete assertion of how the Invicta is faster than the SC2, at least with current shipping firmware. And while I don’t quite trust most YouTubers, I do trust Will. The guy seems honest (and has built his whole career around this reputation).

I also trust Will. But I don’t know how good he is, or how much real-world track experience he has.

More generally, my point is, all the comments from reviewers seem to point to marginal improvements. I haven’t heard anyone say “my lap times dropped by 2s” or “this is now much closer to my real-world race car”.

To put it another way, I haven’t seen a single review that made me feel like it was time to sell my Sport and get a new wheelbase. The way I see it, there just hasn’t been a huge step up in the wheelbase market these past 4 years.

Yeah I think it’s difficult to quantify the actual end-result. Just that the difference was noticeable to most of the reviewers. At the same time I wouldn’t be surprised if this is entirely a software or firmware thing that can be eventually matched on the SC2. The QR is a different story (obviously).

Again:
Ecosystem is an euphemism for a customer lock-in system. Using the euphemism only proofs one hasn’t understand how marketing is fooling people.

If you think that there is a single Granite customer that ever thought about getting a faster, stronger DD then you clearly don’t understand the DNA of these products. If there is something we don’t care about, don’t spend no time at all, then it’s upgrading. Upgrading simply ain’t possible. I would call it side grading, that some maybe think about to change to maybe Asetek.

Final thought: you should have realised that there won’t be a stronger (and therefore more expensive) Simucube 3 in the next years. But a model 3 with a competitive price targeting all the Chinese manufacturers and Fanatec, that could be a possibility.

As I don’t have a single Simucube wheel I’m in the position to get an Asetek DD if I want, and I can use all of my wheels. So please stop trolling.

Again, not trying to make anyone emotional here. Sincere apologies from my side. I’m completely dis-invested… I own nothing at the moment. Still strongly considering a SC2 pro. Just asking questions and sharing my thought process.

Will also admitted that, in a blind test, he to 99 percent wouldn’t be able to tell the difference in the 3 Simucube 2 models when they use the same settings, the same car and the same track.

2 Likes

By the way, when I bought my SC2, I was tempted to get a Sport instead of a Pro for the higher slew rate. There wasn’t a big price difference. But my “rig” at the time was a PlaySeat Challenge. So I bought the lightest and most compact DD wheelbase I could find. But now that I have an aluminum rig, I don’t feel compelled to upgrade.

Thanks. It would be nice to have details, though. I see the Asetek Invicta more or less as a SC1 with a super-potent motor and a better wheel-to-base connection, but maybe I’m wrong.

Lol, I went from a second hand challenge to a second hand Evolution (all with a G29). Then to Pro Simrig PSR1. Back in 2021 I had the choice of getting the Pro or the Sport. VPG sim friends told me to get the Sport. Based on what I drive I hardly ever use the full torque. And the main difference of the monster slew rate of the Pro and the Ultimate: they brake 3 fingers instead of 1 (joke).

1 Like

I think the Invicta is the flagship of Asetek. From the data sheet it’s the equivalent to the Ultimate. What I like about Asetek that they made their QR system available to 8 or nine hand chosen steering wheel manufacturers, among them VPG, Gomez, Bavarian Sim Tec. See here:

I had not realized it’s your first buying decision. My advice is: “don’t overthink it”. All the wheelbases you’re looking at are good and relatively close to each other. Look at the choice of wheels that you’ll have. And then buy what looks good to you–and I mean that literally: the esthetic aspect is important. I wouldn’t buy an Asetek wheelbase (or even a wheel) just because of the looks, but that’s just me.

Yes, that’s a smart move. Similar to GD licensing the SCWW interface.

I have to admit: although it’s a bit stupid I wouldn’t either (if there is no Simucube, then yes).
I remember good the first time I lifted the Simucube. The relatively small thing… and so heavy!! “Is it made from Uranium?” was my thought.

1 Like

You can’t deny: Granite is a bunch of smart dudes and dudedess’s(no idea if the word even exists :joy:)

Actually not my first. I’m abandoning all of my Fanatec gear (DD1) and never looking back :joy:… this next wheelbase (whatever it is) will actually be my 4th.

I see. Well, my advice still stands :grin:

In 6+ years, I’ve only known 2 wheelbases: a T300 and my SC2 Sport.

But then I bought 2 VR headsets in 2023 … Technology seems to move quicker in that space.

Sc1 was a different product because you had to diy. (although there were sellers ofc). The only thing in common was that none was expecting a sc2 and the same thing will happen when sc3 will launch :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Never thought that better wheel made me a better driver, it’s mostly for immersion sake and ego. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I have the PSR1 from Raceanywhere, the best of the best :wink:

1 Like