Simucube 3 on the horizon?

That’s a serious accusation and calls into question the integrity of a long list of people. Is there any evidence that this is actually what happened?

Why not buy Invista now then instead of waiting for mythical SC3?
Pretty sure there was user posting here who got both, just search, but IIRC he wasn’t that impressed with Asetek.

As for a “quick” release, you can always replace SC2 QR with XeroPlay, Buchfink Q1R, or other quick release of your choice, of course there will be no data and power as in Invista, but based on what Mika posted that’s unlikely happen with the new iteration of SC either.

If you’re talking about what Mika posted in this thread, he said they wouldn’t force the user to use electronics like Fanatec does, which is great. I don’t think that means that Simucube’s hypothetical SC3 QR wouldn’t have power and data. I think everyone agrees that this is a very desired feature and I honestly can’t imagine a SC3 product without it. The bigger question is “when”? And would the new QR be adaptable to SC2?

Asetek’s QR is innovative but it has other issues, such as anemic power delivery. It apparently can only deliver 1 amp, while high-end wheels like what GSI is producing (often with screens) need much more to run at reasonable brightness. And then there are still questions around the security of that paddle mechanism, though they claim those concerns have been solved.

Whatever Simucube would develop would hopefully be better than that.

1 Like

I know you were not referencing me, but I am either between buying an SC2pro or wait it out until a the mythical SC3. I am just scared being a late adopter and spending $1300 with knowing I’d need to upgrade relatively soon again. If I just purchased early last year I would be happy haha

The formula sim expo is January 11th. I see simucube is a vendor/participant. I’ll wait and see if they bring anything. Then I’m buying! 7 day countdown. Thanks yall

1 Like

Exactly what I think too:

something for the entry level DD market, to compete the Chinese flood.

1 Like

How should that work?? The actual products don’t have anything of what is needed at the DD side, Fe an integrated power supply solution, pre drilled canals for cables etc. Imo today’s R2 models won’t work with it

Releasing cheaper, less powerful model with may be even new QR to increase brand market saturation would make more sense.

I am sorry, but I give a :poop:. This review video’s are so ridiculous!
There’s a lot of :poop: :poop: being said about the slew rate and other topics anyway. These claims pushed out, but nothing is substantiated or proven.

Something to think about!
Link: humanbenchmark.com
it gives a average response time of a human of around 280ms or 0,280s…okay???

The wheelbases need time to go from zero torque to full torque @ full slew rate.
Invicta# 27Nm/9,4 Nm/ms = 2,8723ms or 0,0028723s
SC2 U# 32Nm/9,5 Nm/ms = 3,3684ms or 0,0033684s
SC2 P# 25Nm/8,0 Nm/ms = 3,1250ms or 0,0031250s
The difference to the Invicta is a fraction of a millisecond.

SC2 U versus Invicta# 3,3684ms-2,8723ms = 0,4960ms or 0,0004960s slower. 1/2ms :scream_cat:
SC2 P versus Invicta# 3,1250ms-2,8723ms = 0,2434ms or 0,0002434s slower. 1/4ms :scream_cat:
So, it is true that the SC2’s are “slower”…I burst into tears. I hope you like sarcasm! :point_up:
The sad fact is that some people with an IQ @ body temperature think that that is a pro for asetek! :man_facepalming:

SC2 U versus reality# 1/(0,4960ms/280ms) = 564,51ratio
SC2 P versus reality# 1/(0,2434ms/280ms) = 1150,36ratio
This means you have to own a 565 times faster reponse time than the average HUMAN to feel the difference between the SC2 Ultimate and the Invicta.
OR
This means you have to own a 1150 times faster reponse time than the average HUMAN to feel the difference between the SC2 Pro and the Invicta.
Sure!!! sure Suuuuuuuuure…Sure…Sure… :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: :joy: :rofl: What a… :poop: :poop:!!!
I think I would agree to Mika!

And that is a very questionable situation!
Because thats not all :sweat_smile: :laughing: :smile: :grinning: :laughing:…that was pretty simple theory. Let’s take a quick jump into practice, for curbs, oversteer, graininess, flatspots, crashes… You don’t need full slew rate! Full slew rate is nonsense. And you get some FFB benefits if you turn your slew rate down to a very specific point, including emphasizing oversteer signals! Anyway…let’s some details.

Oversteering
Mean slew rate: 0,0165 Nm/ms but it can be below ~0,3Nm/ms

Crashes
Mean slew rate: 3,5Nm/ms but there will peaks everything between min and max of your slewrate!!!

graininess
below 1or2 Nm/ms…

kerbs
up to full slew rate!!

flatspots
up to 5Nm/ms

3 Likes

Slew rate does matter. Ask people who ran Pro and Sport side by side, I believe even Beano commented on slew rate in these models making difference in the details delivery a while back.
Running ACC at full slew rate in Pro vs 1.5Nm/ms is a HUGE difference.
And I don’t think servo’s ability of quickly change torque has anything to do with human reaction time.

Does ACC got a FFB-Channel in Motec?

No idea, sorry, do not use Motec myself?
But it’s silky smooth at full slew rate, unlimited TBW and Recon at 1.
I can see that lower slew rate can be beneficial for titles with harsher signal, like iRacing, rFactor2 and even to a degree AC, but it’s not one size fits all silver bullet.

To my opinion Slew Rate is indeed important. The higher it is the more capable the base is at least until to a point. So basically we want a base with as high SR. However this does not necessarily mean that running the base at its highest SR is the optimal situation. It depends on the title and the rest of applied filters. Agree that for ACC (not only) there is no benefit in limiting it, but there are other titles that i personally find necessary to limit it, but again it also has to do with the rest of the settings. For people that run high values for recon, damping, friction and inertia, it is probably not a good idea to limit SR. At the end of the day, it is all a matter of personal preference.
Now, with Simucube and i guess Asetek (since they use a TD copy) the great thing is that we have the ability to change the slew rate, while i have no idea what happens with the Simagics and Mozas.

As far as the discussion topic, my view is that SC2 has not reached to its full potential yet as far as the software and that is something that GD knows and working on it. Unless there is a hardware limitation on the SC2 that prevents improving the software, i really feel that there is no need for an SC3 to just add a better qr, it would simply be a waste of resources in R&D, testing and production, which are limited as GD is not a huge company. Besides, GD is known and well established based on the fact that their products deliver the best FFB experience (so far at least), so if SC2 electronics are capable to handle updates in software (better filters, telemetry, etc.) then that should be the way forward to continue being the FFB leader.

Simucube 2 models are the opposite of an “ecosystem” (I can’t stand that bullshit euphemism no more, last time: it’s a customer lock-in system). You can use whatever wheel is out there in the whole wide world. There are even conversion kits for Fanatec wheels. So please stick to the facts.

Well, then simply don’t do it. But coming here for the first time and trying to convince us that we bought bullshit is:

A: absolutely rude, rubbish and a no go.

B: ridiculous

PS: if you insist on a Simucube 3 that’s stronger and faster than the actual models then you have a very odd perspective. No-one needs or want a stronger model than the Ultimate, even Pro. Only a weaker, cheaper model 3 makes sense. Believe it or not, this is what all here tell you.

I like that one a lot, Andrew!

images

This is…wow!! And you really get so emotional! I can see this awesome passion you have, impresses me over and over again!

Not trying to make anyone upset here. I understand why if you’ve invested in this ecosystem that you wouldn’t want a new product to come out. I’m sure that’s how the SC1 owners felt when SC2 launched.

And I’m not looking for something stronger than SC2… but faster yes. And a (much) better QR with power and data delivery.

On a slightly different topic, what exactly did Asetek license from GD? Is it something you can talk about or is it confidential?

Questions for those who feel the benefits of a slightly higher slew rate: does a slightly higher slew rate make you a better driver or improve your lap times? Do you feel you need the highest slew rate to be competitive?

I’m just curious. I have a SC2 Sport and, after years of sim racing, I still feel that working on my driving skills and on setups gives the best bang for the buck.

Admittedly, I don’t have a lot of time for driving (it’s a good day when I get 30 min, and a great day when I get 1h), and the only competitive events I can fit in my schedule are ACC offline “special events”. So I don’t progress as fast as those who do it more intensely. However, if I just consider my PC rating in ACC, while I’m not very good, I’m not very bad either. Somehow, I doubt a higher slew rate would make me significantly better.

And when I play rF2, I feel like I’m driving a car on track (minus the physical and financial fear). So immersion isn’t an issue, and I doubt that a higher slew rate would make the experience dramatically more immersive. Of course, I could be wrong.

Another thing is that SC2 was launched just over 4 years ago. So far, in these 4 years, we’ve seen Fanatec essentially drop its DD1/DD2 design. And it’s only this year that Asetek has released a wheelbase that’s slightly better on paper (and, admittedly, according to several reviewers). As time goes by, I would expect significantly better products to appear. But it hasn’t really happened so far. For me, that says a lot about the SC2 design.

I have a Sport R2 too. I use full slew rate, but I do use constant force reduction in order to not having to fight strong forces for a long period of time.
Slew rate is about the level of dynamic changes available. @Mika somewhere wrote that everything above 1.5Nm/ms is already a bit of an overkill.