Simucube 3 on the horizon?

I thought it’s been said they wouldn’t abandon the old wheels

From the product page:

1 Like

You are so certain when even GD devs are not so much. :grinning:

Certain of what? I’m just relaying the info from the product page.

It says that Valo is a wireless wheel and that the link box is optional but required to operate the LEDs.

1 Like

Oh the confusion!! That was good reading

1 Like

What would be nice would be to sell the HUB TAHKO and VALO separately from the wheels, but include the QR which is slightly different from the current “standard” SIMUCUBE QRs. I don’t like alcantara wheels, I think it’s a shame that there’s almost never a leather wheel option, and that’s not just at SIMUCUBE.

how much Nm the SC2 pro can keep constant ? no peak, but constant

Do not take the discussion out of context. The context was that the bundle product page on our web store was not clear enough regarding the matter.

No.

You would have the Simucube Link Hub which is the receiver for the wireless wheels.

1 Like

For all intents and purposes, in racing sims, we can say that peak torque = constant torque, as we rarely ever run at the max torque for long enough periods to exceed the mechanical time constant of the servo - at least where the SC2 and basic Mige-based SC1 are concerned.

Only in very rare instances, and with high ambient temperatures, have I managed to get my Pro servo to derate torque due to high temperature on the servo. For 99% of people, this will never be an issue.

I know some dd wheel suppliers are playing games around this topic, simple reality is they are using cheaper, smaller and less efficient servos, which are prone to running much higher temperatures - so they want to ‘normalise’ the situation by stating they report nominal torque, as opposed to peak torque.

If you have a good enough servo, then these things are not an issue - if you however run a small 8 or 10NM dd wheel, it might be an issue, depending on your settings and use-case :wink: Hopefully that explains.

2 Likes

thank you very much.

Can you report the issues with USB, cause I have never had one issue with USB, my hub is with 12/5A psu, and for my use I won’t see the need for the Simucube Link Hub even if I had the active pedals.
I have more issues with some games using the Microsoft driver for Simucube, causing half performance

1 Like

They have been mentioned in the thread already.

• USB is grounded connection, so high-powered devices could induce EMI through ground, and grounds can form loops that act like antennas so all kinds of funny stuff may start to happen.
  • USB hubs and cables have issues. It is great if you don’t have issues, but when those issues start to happen with longer USB cables or poor quality hubs, we get all product support requests (sometimes also with regards to other manufacturer’s devices).
    –Issue 1: poor hubs. Just last night there was someone who tried to update his Simucube 2 firmware, and USB hub went bonkers. He contacted me, and just by connecting straight to PC, the troubles with “usb device couldn’t be started” issue went away.
    –Issue 2: cable lengths. USB cable length is much more limited than Ethernet, for example.

And one must notice that USB in itself is proprietary as well - each and every manufacturer has some custom way to communicate with their devices for configuration purposes; USB doesn’t specify anything with regards to this.

I guess there is just some fear, uncertainty and doubt in this forum spread by certain members which is nothing new. I guess what we’ll be doing with our future products is the same, in a way, that other manufacturers have been doing as well for a long time. Have they faced such criticism on their forums? Examples include Dbox who have an Ethernet based communication system to all their actuators with just single USB to PC, Qubic Systems has similar solution as well. Both of these are of course strictly proprietary solutions while we intend to be more open. Fanatec devices connect to the one USB via their wheelbase, albeit that is just not a bus based solution but something of lower tech.

The end goal is to enable more reliable, higher quality end user experience that just works in those situations where USB fails.

1 Like

Yeah, this is the thing that many people do not realize.

When you go to smaller form factor on a servo motor, the torque constant typically reduces as the leverage from rotor to stator is decreased, and also the volumetric efficiency on how the stator coils can be packaged, is worse. This, combined with less heat capacity and less cooling surface on the motor, will quite quickly cause the torque deratings to become a thing that must be done quite aggressively. This is why those 8Nm - 12Nm wheel bases run hotter, need to have all kinds of cooling fins, and need to derate torque.

1 Like

To me it’s a mystery (nice rhyme, isn’t it) why people are questioning the quality of the Simucube models. They ignore that we don’t have to calibrate the wheel, how superior the resolution is, how much better the design is. No overheating, a very good QR, no classic lock-in product line. Imo the powered QR solution has some major disadvantages aswell: once it fails the coasts to fix it are much higher compared to changing fe a USB cable. The wireless solution is, in theory, very good and aesthetical aswell. I can’t comment on the reliability; I don’t have any experience to do so.

2 Likes

Made up, blown out of proportion problems to justify vendor lock-in with short lived proprietary protocol.

we are not doing any vendor lock-in, in fact by having the wireless wheels able to be used in other wheelbases as well, we are removing any vendor lock-in there was.

3 Likes

And wireless support via Simucube Link dongle was added solely for letting users get out of Simucube ecosystem and not for compatibility with SC3?
All that effort to just let users leave freely and lose their business? You guys must have hearts of gold. :angel:

yes I always wonder how the base knows the center when I plug my wheel with only the QR wheel side…

Yes, you are right I was worried, but I trust simucube, my simucube 2 pro is my best purchase for the simracing, so I think if you say it’s better, it is.
Can’t wait to have something new, but I’m perfectly fine with my ascher box and momo wheel, I don’t need something else cause it’s a real steering wheel.
I hope a new base and QR, but not soon, the SC2 pro is still the best today.

1 Like