Simucube 3 on the horizon?

I’m not sure how SC “link dongle” limits for example wheel manufacturers implementing whatever wireless system they want? Or prevent you or anyone else buying whatever wheel or button box they want.

But for some people the glass is always half empty it seems.

3 Likes

With always happy people like you I guess we would still enjoy our horse rides.

1 Like

Did you have actually anything to add to my comment or you just tried to guess my personality?

I’m not sure how happiness or lack of it would prevent technical advancements, but you seem to think it’s a thing.

Sometimes people forget that only with horses is it possible to conquer new, unknown and dangerous territory💡.

From what I remember seeing on Discord, Simucube introduced Link compatibility to support the Valo’s LEDs as they didn’t want to rely on Simhub. Makes sense, although I would like to see Simhub compatibility as an additional option, similar to how GRID and Cube Controls do it.

Simucube also added wireless functionality for all older wheels, which is a big plus (albeit one I personally won’t take advantage of), especially for people wanting a Simucube wireless wheel on another base.

At the moment, I can only see advantages for users and the company, but I’d still be interested to hear where you see the potential negatives and what kind of lock-in you’d expect?

1 Like

The vendor lock in was in reference to new Ethernet protocol Simucube introduces replacing traditional USB. And was in response to Tony’s question on what is wrong with USB.
Existing wireless wheels are already locked in to SC1/SC2 and by they way it looks will not be forward compatible with SC3, not to mention existing incompatibility with anything else on the market, but this is not new and whoever bought SC2 wireless wheels were well aware of that.
Ability to continue using SC2 wireless with SC3 via Link is a welcome addition, but it surely wasn’t added solely for compatibility with other wheelbases on the market, only with own brand, if it happens to work outside Simucube ecosystem, I can only applaud GD devs for not blocking this side effect.

1 Like

I’m a bit confused about this Ethernet protocol and where the lock-in happens - are you referring to the ethernet cables between ActivePedals and Link, for example?

Regarding compatibility, the SC wireless wheels now are already compatible with SC X or any base for that matter, as long as you have SC Link, but I see you stated that yourself so I feel like I might be missing something?

At the moment, I have an SC2 plus APs - now I could just plug in my SC Link via USB to any PC and use the APs and any SC2 wireless wheel (which I don’t have anymore) with whatever I want. The ethernet cables are just connecting my APs to the link, and from what SC have said so far Link will stay around, and any new wheelbase would still have to use USB for powering on. Not that I would mind if an ethernet cable were to go from SCX to Link, Link is still connected via USB.

I really don’t see any lock-in at all, but like I said I might be missing some key elements of what’s being discussed here?

yeah the link is nice for ppl who want to keep their sc2 wireless wheels in future with different bases, i was just hoiping there would be a cheap way of doing it like a dongle, i seriously doubt link is going to be cheap

Difference of the Valo GT-23 wheel w/ and w/o the link is about 100 Euro incl tax.

1 Like

I think the center point (0 degrees) is an address, one of over 4.2 millions in the case of a Simucube 2. The use of an absolute encoder makes the calibration unnecessary.

Absolute encoders are feedback devices that provide speed, position information by outputting a digital word or bit in relation to motion . Unlike incremental encoders that output a continuous stream of ubiquitous pulses, absolute encoders output unique words or bits for each position…

I can try to mount the wheel rotated from one screw on the QR wheel side, to see if it detects wrong or good the center of the wheel, based on QR wheel side.

I guess if I want a new SC 3, I have to sell my SC2 and all my ascher box and wheels too…sad I’m perfectly fine with the SC2 wireless and ascher box, cause I use my own real wheel sparco and momo…for some users I think the upgrade is not 100% worth.
The leather quality from Momo or sparco is so superior than any other wheel that I don’t want to use something else, and I don’t need new ascher box.

You don’t have to, it will. I once reassembled a wheel and didn’t really paid attention. The wheel was off center by exactly 30 degrees. Aslong every thing is correctly tightened it will show, and be, at 0.

No, by the way it looks like you might be not.
While GD engineers are still (unfortunately or not) in the process of revolutionizing the industry with own home made standards, SC link can provide a way for SC2 wheels compatibility with the new SC3 protocol.
Things could have been easier if we had standard BT protocol to begin with, but this is the way the things are.
S2E3 of James May’s “Cars of the People” on TVR vs Porsche battle is a nice story to learn from, btw.

I’m still curious about these homemade standards and the lock-in. I’ve looked through previous posts but haven’t found anything that would substantiate this happening. GD have said any upcoming SC wheelbase will still have to be powered via USB regardless, Link completely frees their wireless wheels - yet there’s still debate about something that I seem to not understand?

No, you won’t, you can just get SC Link and use any SC2 wireless wheel as has been stated multiple times, but I understand how confusion may arise in this by now rather bloated thread - I’m confused by what’s being discussed myself at this point.

This is not correct. I think I replied to a comment that referred to the Simucube 2.

Wheelbase is powered by PSUs, not USB, USB power is not that strong, obviously.
SC3 will be using Link connection, it’s somewhere on the diagram in this thread on Discord.
As far as proprietary things, few were listed in this thread:

• Accessory port that some vendors utilized for their products like pedals, now obsolete
  • BT protocol designed to only work with SC2 bases that now becomes obsolete as well with SC3
  • Ethernet based proprietary protocol for new SC3 in development and already used by APs to replace USB

Proprietary = vendor lock in, you cannot use it outside ecosystem built upon these non standard things.

You don’t have to see it the same way, completely fine with me, I just think there is little point in continuing this ping-pong conversation.

1 Like

Can you tell a good example how the ActivePedal product with Simucube Link now has some kind of vendor lock-in? Because it already must have if you think it has that. Nobody else is seeing it.

It is proprietary and does require the Simucube Link Hub to use. But that does not prevent it to be used with e. g. Some other USB based wheel base or wheel. That would be vendor lock-in.

1 Like

I read your comment again, I took the meaning as “the SC2 interface will stay the same going forward in future products”. But after your clarification I understand that this is not the case. In laymen’s terms, that previously posted graphic would then apply where all SC devices connect to Link, which in turn still connects to PC via USB?