Simucube 3 on the horizon?

Seems like that alone is a primarily reason for redesign, I cannot think of any possible improvement on motor and controller side. Well, may be also RGB lights. :rofl:

@Andrew_WOT :joy: Of course, pure conjecture on my side, a redesign might simplify control-hardware platform, unify UI framework, giving benefits to end-users in that respect, might even lead to a small cost-saving.

There could also potentially be more freedom with servo specifications and final design, etc. But lately, I have seen quite many comments about other wheels overhauling the SC2 in capabilities, features, et al.

Like said, I would like to get these guys together for a blind-test :slight_smile: Will be interesting viewing, haha,

Worrst case scenario would be that the integration of SC2 with the Tuner application does not come to fruition and is only possible in future SC3 release.

I don’t know how GD will change the SC2 interface from USB to RJ45…Wireles interface comms between SC2 base and Simucube Link maybe?

Simucube 2 interface is staying on USB. The wheel base requires 5 V from USB to be there in order to start up, and thats a hardware thing.

1 Like

Why would you think that SC2 support in Tuner would require the base to be connected to the controller box of the AP? Both are USB devices (SC2 and the controller box), and even if not, the physical connection to the PC should make no difference on the middleware and application layer.

I don’t know when the idea of connecting all the devices to the SC Link got into my head, I don’t know if it was reading between the lines of the GD team’s comments or it was explicitly commented on in one of their posts.

Sure im wrong, I hope im wrong

Credits to @Nissmo from SC discord

Not surprising and inline w/ what GD has communicated. A future SC3 will be using the Link Hub.
The Link Hub is becoming the common connection point for all future GD products including wireless wheels. Hence SC wireless wheels will not be limited to SC2 users anymore but can be used w/ any base. The Link Hub will be available as a seperate sellable item.

no idea how much this link hub costs though, has been asked but not answered, so i think it’ll be a very expensive dongle

If the Link Hub will be required to power the SC3 then it will come with the product, i know that is pointing out the obvious. Based on the current trajectory, we can safely assume the SC3 will be a premium product will a premium fee. I also believe DD wheel cost will be relatively similar to now as the standard pricing has been set. It would be a hard sell to increase the fee significantly when most innovation will come from software. To your point about the link being a standalone purchase, that is where cost could be recouped. Probably a couple hundred dollars is my guess. Probably end of this year but more likely 2025 we will find out!

It won’t be a simple dongle. There is a whole lot of software work related to that also - the wireless wheel support, for example. But I don’t think we have set a sales price to it yet.

Just an idea.
Can this hub also be used to connect Simucube Native Wheels?
In case a new base is released in the future that no longer has the wireless chip.

I think Mika had stated that was a feature prior to today. I could be wrong. Even though I got an SC2, I am always intrigued and excited for new releases. Downside is always cost though

yes it can, that’s why i was saying it’s an expensive dongle if you want your wireless wheel to work on other wheel bases

1 Like

Sounds like new QR in SC3 would not require BT communication and power and data will be delivered similar to what Asetek is doing.
Wireless receiver in Simucube Link dongle is for “legacy” wireless if you want to continue using them with the new SC3 or get off Simucube ecosystem altogether.

But the very fact that it is taken into account justifies the whole product for me :D.

True, completely abandoning another proprietary communication protocol without any path forward for existing customers would be a huge reputation blow for the company.
If anything the product should be on a steep discount if not free for existing SC2 customers.
But we don’t know what price range this dongle targets, under a hundred, few hundreds, and if getting it actually worth it versus just replacing all your wheels. You would need to get rid of SC2 anyway, why keep associated old junk around.
Plus it would be a lesson for the moron I am to buy standard USB wheels next time, nothing proprietary based, ever.

2 Likes

Difference of the new Valo wheel w/ and w/o the Simucube Link is about 100 Euro according to the Simucube Shop site.

1 Like

So new Valo wheel is already not compatible with SC2 and requires link?

does it mean if I want to sell my simucube 2 pro for the next simucube 3, I can’t use my sc2 wheels anymore (ascher B24) and need to sell them too ?