Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Ha Paul,
I have been the occasional arse in the past, I realise, and apologies. Being a technical type, I usually talk before my brain kicks in proper……

It’s not anything that GD team has done wrong at all, it’s just that they are exceptionally busy, growing the business, keeping things very closed, having no insights or input anymore, that sort of thing.

It’s just personally, I have invested many years of my life to see these 2 products develop to where they are, and now sitting on the side-lines. My energy has to go somewhere, otherwise I will go insane. So I need to look at new projects then.

All good, I will check in and be available if guys have questions on my silly settings, but I am sure that will be obsolete info anyway in the near future. Let’s see how it goes, guys, I will be around at the normal hang-outs.

11 Likes

Well honestly I feel sad Mate… i still remember one of your videos testing the SC2 pro in Bathurst a couple of years ago…convinced me basically to get the pro😉. Now yes I agree, hardware wise the SC2 is the best, but if the software is deteriorating and soon we will not be able to tune it as we should be able to, then it will be just a useless piece of kit. We should be given with more tuning options as the product matures, not less. I don’t care if most people don’t use a filter (because they don’t know how to) if I am using it and it works well for me…
This is seriously wrong…

6 Likes
  • Grumpy gang grows -
3 Likes

That would illustrate your point perfectly

3 Likes

No worries at all mate and no need to apologise for anything. When I read back some of my posts, I think to myself ‘what a dick’, so sometimes a bollocking is well in order
:joy:

Your need to tinker and be involved in something that scratches that itch has always been very apparent to see so I can well understand the need to get your teeth into the next big breakthrough device.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best and will hold you to that promise of sticking your head in here whenever you can.

Who else is gonna keep the old Grumpy bastards in line!

6 Likes

Mate the funny thing is that I have the impression that most users have ended up using and appreciating the settings posted from us the grumpy gang…good luck with the paddock…

2 Likes

Not everyone knows who you are or how involved you where in the whole DD revolution since the very beginning. You will be missed!

7 Likes

IMO this whole firmware & software changes makes me feel cheated

Two years thinking that my SC2 base has the BEST internals out there but now I have the impression that it is not like that, that the 2 processors do not have the power, or are not being used properly.
So 2 years has passed and GD teams keeps working to take advantage of those 2 processors by eliminating features.
Then other companies like Simagic now comes with triple CPUs and an evolving software.
Fanatec is still rising and Thustmaster is so BIG that can do anything they want

4 Likes

Please be sure to report that one, I believe there’s a mechanism for that in place today.

1 Like

We all got asked in the beginning how we felt and it was obvious how most of us felt about the online thing. But it was also obvious GD had already made up their mind which direction they where going. Which is why i havent said much until now. I hoped id see software improvements to make me change my mind but so far nothing just we are making it easier for new users. We have heard things are in the works for years. What things? I spent alot of money to buy an Ultimate and while i dont regret it at all im a little worried with what im seeing here lately because it doesnt look like the original users matter like we used to. These where supposed to be the top of the line wheel bases for people that wanted the best so it should be expected to have to do some learning to get the most out of them for YOUR OWN personal preference. I 100 percent agree with everyone else that stated most posted ffb profiles wont work for most without tweaking anyways. So what happens then because the newbie still wont know what to do? It would have been much easier to have good explanations of the settings and how they work in a manual.

9 Likes

I still remember the first time i watched the video of that 60nm monster he uses. Then thought i need a 30nm OSW. :grinning: No going back after that.

2 Likes

Based on the financials, I think it’s possible that Fanatec is bigger than guillemot’s thrustmaster division.

My Mind Is Made Up. Don’t Confuse Me With the Facts.

2 Likes

The whole simplifying firmware to not have to store profiles is completely separate from cloud. Instead of going cloud, TD could store profiles on PC file system and send current profile to SC2 at connection time or whenever a new profile is selected or current one is tweaked. All this cloud storage and cloud access must be more complicated than that.

2 Likes

I have mostly kept quiet on this whole topic.

I do have to ask how is this going to effect people with really crappy internet connection that only race non-online sim games?

I know a few guys that can not use iRacing because their internet is very slow.

And our friend who lives in the middle of the jungle in the Philippines!
I know he is the minority, but I was just wondering?

3 Likes

There is a place there to write about the in-game settings. It is possible that we will add support for screenshots in that portion. Links to image sharing sites and forum threads already work. So, I fail to see how this is somehow worse than what it was with the old profile system.

Yes there is. One can link to a forum thread, for example. Or even a Youtube video.
Looks like you haven’t taken a look at what is possible in Paddock?

No. But we faced issues with firmware and PC software being too complex and “hard-coded” in long term, thus the need to move the profile management to cloud, where we can leverage modern technologies, and in fact a completely new set of web developers to build and maintain it.

Hi Phillip, nice to see your post here. The fact is that this is not changing at all.

Well, we have at the moment implemented enough features and fallback modes, that this becomes a non-issue in daily usage of the product. What are the “other delays” you mention?

Have haven’t removed a single enthusiast feature, and likely are not planning to do so either. So if the user interface is just more modern, that is somehow moving away from enthusiasts? Are PC enthusiasts still widely using Windows XP because it looks more like Windows 2000 than Windows 10?
I do understand that some things (as of right now) take one click more than they used to, but we are working on that. And some things already take less clicks than they used to.

I think there has been a misunderstanding somewhere. There is one (1) profile in the device that will get used by the device. Default parameters for this can be set from the Paddock already, so at power-on, no connectivity will be needed. The True Drive then just sends new parameters from the cloud to the device when profile is switched.

There is one-time registration, one can create profiles during that one session and they can then use those (and edit as well) in the offline mode. So, for this very small percentage of people, we have implemented already a perfectly acceptable way to use the product.

4 Likes

Apologies in advance to everyone for the long winded and rambling post.

The way I see things at present, Paddock profile sharing in its current form is destined to never achieve what GD think it will. To do that, it would need to incorporate the tools required to share a users settings in full.

Sharing only a TD profile is unlikely ever going to be the magic bullet for FFB that new users and ourselves alike are constantly seeking.

Ideally, it would need to have a compulsory mechanism in place whereby a user goes through some process of uploading their in game files and displaying their in game settings as a mandatory step before their TD profile is allowed to be published.

This is where I think the problem comes in and things might get messy real fast. It’s going to be difficult to have this system tailored to ensure a consistent way of uploading and displaying the many various tweaks that are used outside of TD and vary from game to game.

This circles back to my argument that even if it’s possible to have all this stuff included in Paddock it’s not going to make things any more streamlined than simply doing what we do now.

Here, we share screenshots and write a description with our reasoning behind the settings we’ve arrived at. To get a full picture, it’s often important that we need to show our Content Manager settings, upload JSON files or share a link to a particular rFuktor file for example.

How do you add all of this into (as I understand it) a simple dialogue box?

What this forum has and Paddock doesn’t, is the added bonus in that users who go and try out the posted settings get to come back and add their critique, suggest further tweaks and sometimes through that process of back and fourth, arrive at settings that improve things for many.

I wonder how will this will be replicated within Paddock? I don’t think it can be without it turning into another forum which doesn’t add any advantage for new users.

Without having the full picture, I can see users going through a process of click profile, doesn’t feel good, delete profile, move to next profile, doesn’t feel good, delete profile… rinse and repeat. Isn’t that going to be more frustrating and time consuming than giving the forum a visit to voice concerns or ask for tips and pointers?

It makes perfect sense that GD want to devise a way to improve the product reputation and increase sales as a result. I’m totally on board with that vision. I just don’t see this as being the best way to achieve that.

In my opinion, the best way to sell a wheelbase in the sim market is for it to have a no competitor, best in class FFB as opposed to throw away profile sharing that pleases the give it to me now social media crowd. Then again, I’m an old fart that probably just doesn’t get it :skull:

In my view, there are different ways in which to arrive at that point. I’m speculating here that GD think that getting a massive pool of users to share profiles and filter out the worst ones will have us end up with some nice click and go templates for everyone. Maybe it will, maybe it won’t, I don’t know.

I personally think it would have been far more advantageous to have spent that Paddock development time on improving filters, unlocking filters and then handing those off a small group of the most experienced and community trusted tinkerers (what a waste of Beano’s talent, by the way) so that they could go off, do what they do best and come back with with some great profiles that then become the default templates for new users to use and have a great first impression.

Once you have those in place, that in my view would be the optimal time to launch Paddock with more established templates already in place and watch your reputation sky rocket.

I’m sure there’s some flawed thinking on my part and some holes in what I’ve said. I’m happy to have those pointed out to me if you see them :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

This is where I see no benefit.

As of now:

1. Open TD
  2. Open GD forum
  3. Replicate settings from a single post
  4. Drive

As opposed to:

1. Open Paddock
  2. Read notes dialogue box
  3. Look for screenshots
  4. Click links to go to image sharing sites
  5. Click links to go to forum thread
  6. Replicate settings from multiple places of origin
  7. Drive

What I am not seeing in your point?

4 Likes

@Mika So it seems that the online sharing of settings will now become more complicated as at the end of the day there will be 2 places one needs to look at. Ultimately will have to go to the forum where all the action is. Again I fail to see why you have spent so much time, effort and resources on this instead of something that could have given real value. A lot of us have given you feedback on this a lot time ago.
I have not bothered checking the paddock yet cause regardless of what you have said about it being stable I still see people complaining about issues. I just don’t have the time for troubleshooting. Once I see it is stable enough I will try. I am not opposing so much to changing the software even if that means that It will take me a few more clicks and more hassle realizing that this is something that GD needs to do. I am just opposing to GD not taking full advantage of its product capabilities. That’s what differentiated you from the competition (customization and ability to tune) but lately I feel that you guys are losing the ball when most discussion is about a practically half baked pointless online sharing system…

I have asked in the past many times to at least enable the 2 more filters missing in the pro/sport as I have not seen an other filter development happening. I believe with these I could achieve a better feel. Your response was that people do not use them. Well I am using all the filters (part from peak notch, haven’t figured that out) if I feel the need to (go check my latest posted settings for AC) and some people will try them and use them. So more people will use these useless filters eventually. There are other sims that I still cannot get them to feel right. It is not not SC’s fault, its the sim’s but still with a piece of hardware like that I should be able to reach where I want to go (that should be differentiating you from the competition). Give us the option to do this, it will be good for us, the community and at the end of the day the SC brand where people will be enjoying at the fullest their investment either by tuning their settings or copying good posted settings.

All we are trying to do (the grumpy gang) is to give you some constructive feedback on how to improve your product where it matters. We want to see this product shine together with GD as obviously we have invested in you. Enthusiast/power user opinions should matter, we have been your loyal customers after all… and basically we know how to operate your product and give help and advice to new comers as well…

8 Likes

so how would it be any better than take those settings with the correspondent td profile from the forum in the first place? talking about semplification…

4 Likes