Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Hello @Mika

has you know i don’t have any issues with the new 2020.3.

Today i’ve tried to downgrade to 2020.1 to verify if i can feel any difference. Before the downgrade i tested 10 laps with acc , ac and iracing. downgraded and tested again 10 laps with acc, ac and iracing. nothing changed.
upgraded again , and again, nothing changed.

For me this new 2020.3 works as expected with every test is possible.i also have a little program to send ( and test ) various ffb effects and even with that nothing was changed in feelings/noisy/grainy etc.

bye.

@Mika
After trying both versions back to back I expect that everyone will have this issue, but as it is quite subtle most people won’t notice, only those who are particularly sensitive.

After doing a bit more testing, the resonance has a frequency of ~310Hz. It is noticeable using a test profile setup like this:

And turning the wheel back and forth through ~270 degrees at a rate of about 1 revolution per second. The settings don’t really make much difference but a bit of extra friction makes it more obvious. You can feel that there is extra vibration by touching the SC2 unit whilst turning the wheel too.

Hope that helps in tracking down the issue.

4 Likes

Hi! I feel the same like you. Nothing change when I did the upgrade.
But, if so many people said… the problem perhaps it’s me.

Nothing here either, even at recon 1.
Must be something on HW level. Some parts could be from different suppliers (batches).
There is also motor FW, anyone compared those? It’s on the last tab I believe.

Here’s mine, problem free version

i have the same versions as Andrew_WOT
strange 100% , damping 12%, friction 6 - no Problem
strange 100% , damping 12%, friction 40% - the steering wheel starts to shake a lot
strange 60% , damping 12%, friction 80% - the steering wheel starts to shake a lot

My Simucube is the second Batch, and y don’t feel nothing strange

Mine comes from the second batch as well and unfortunately I had the problem … I went back to True Drive version 2020.01 and firmware version 1.0.15, all the “grainy” problems are gone, thanks Mika.
Out of curiosity, I reinstalled True Drive version 2020.03 and firmware version 1.0.17 and the problems came back as my first test with these versions.

1 Like

I have tested the beta version and not the official one without finding problems.

Hello,

Mathematics and IT is a science. In every point of this solar system 2+2 have to necessary results in 4 based on mathematics laws. IT ( information technology ) and development/runtimes/methods/API, firmware are all a bounce of numbers for machines and numbers are what it is in every part of the planet.

Saying that, what i don’t know is ( the method ) implemented by Software engineers to (force) the time out recovery for standby. This method can vary depending on various possibilities ( and where necessary ) necessary tricks.

The method ( to reset the internal timer ) can be a slightly update on a parameter like damping, friction or inertia. or… slew rate… or a new read of steering degrees or the most simply, true drive that restart the internal unit timer via usb commands/API or any other methods, in short, the ( method ) used ( the written runtime ) to implement the automatic torque timer reset is not public.

but even if this method are the worst possible ( and is not the case here ) is impossible to compromise some unit and other don’t.

Even motors, electronics and components are the same for every unit that GD produces ( for what i know ). I think that based on method used some users have a strange gear combination that can be influenced intended behaviours Just like the early problems with Simulaje wheels.

For those who dont have the grainy feel over 2020.3, can they swing the wheel hard when in Low Torque ON (with all that friction and damping active)?
Going from 2020.3 to 2020.1 and now Low Torque is smooth as always

Also for those that don’t feel the graininess; don’t try to. Once you do notice it you can’t go back. It’s a bit like training yourself to hear the compression artefacts in MP3s.

1 Like

It’s something you dont have to “try” to feel… For me it’s extremely noticable and anyone who who would try it would notice it.

1 Like

You’re implying everybody has it?

With low torque I feel the wheel hard, but the movement without grainy feel, when I activate the high torque the wheel becomes very smooth. But I mentioned this in another thread and they told me it was normal.

It is possible. At first I didn’t notice a difference so I went back and forth between the two firmware revisions till I could notice a subtle but definite difference. Now it is fairly obvious to me but I can ignore it.

To you it may be very obvious, but not others. It’s the same with MP3 compression artefacts, some people find them very obvious on a first listen, other people have to concentrate to notice them.

It could also be that the subtle difference that I have noticed, is not the same thing that you and others are talking about. We’ll see what happens when they find something.

It’s more probable that you’ve read so much about this you’ve convinced yourself you can feel it when it isn’t there on your unit. Those that do have the issue have said it’s very obvious. Do you not think Mika and GD wouldn’t have picked it up if everybody had it?

Nah, he has it. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It’s quite obvious once you notice it. I guess being able to match the noise to a tone generator and come up with the 310Hz number was all in my head too?

No, there is definitely a difference. Whether what I can discern is the same issue others have is an open question.

1 Like

Ok if i turn off high torque mode and force the wheel from left to right like i am trying to open a bank vault or something there is a slight ripple feeling. Very small, no idea if it did this before of course.

I dont care because this is not a normal use case. Nothing is detectable in my normal driving.

1 Like