Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Thanks Mika, I’ll investigate if I can easily delay / set up my startup programs in the correct order, as there are quite a few (Steam, SteamVR, TrueDrive, CrewChief, Trading Paints, Simtools Game Engine + Game Manager + Game Vibe etc…).

That slight shrudder is what makes unusable any SC2 servo when playing non FFB games like Farming Sim or exploring with EliteDangerous:Rover.
When TD send some kind of telemetry info (every 5 seconds?) then the servo loose all forces rendering the center Spring unusable. It is perceptavle without center Spring, only turning the wheel

This is the issue with Steam VR and all dd wheels.

I first discovered this about years ago when doing some dd wheel beta-testing for GD, and informed the issue on iRacing. Of course, the other option for you is to start steam vr first manually, don’t let the game start it. Or the option I mentioned. It fixes it 100%.

Edit: Oops, saw Mika already mentioned the steam vr one :wink:

Cheers,
Beano

Thanks Beano. There is indeed something very fishy with Steam VR. I tried to change the order of startup programs using a freeware program (which I don’t think was at fault), but then the PC became very unstable and I had several BSODs whilst trying different settings. I returned to my original startup sequence using Windows shell, leaving only iRacing and Truedrive out of the startup sequence, to be started manually. Steam(VR) now autostarts with the parameters -silent -applaunch 250820; and it seems to have fixed the issues.

Mika: is there a way to set a fixed window size for TrueDrive? Perhaps by adding a parameter to a shortcut? Even with the newest version, I have to resize the window manually every time to see all the buttons. I use a single monitor (TV) at 3840x2160 / 225%.

1 Like

is the new TD 2020.3 good to download?

i am trying overlay TD in VR by “pin” it in Oculus dash to make the changes quicker without alternating iRacing and desktop but TD is not on the widows list in Oculus dash even though it is open on the desktop, any idea why?

1 Like

hi, i also update TD 2020.3 on my pro. Also turn from left to right which makes you feel grainy and stronger. With the older version it seemed smoother, could I go to the older software?

1 Like

Can you test if this is caused by the resonance reduction (on the hardware settings?) Try to turn it on/off to see if there is a difference.

Well not sure if this was meant for me but I downloaded it and the scaling issue is still there. So I ended up fixing it by changing the DPI options as follows:

1 Like

Yes, we will continue investigating the DPI issues.

2 Likes

Simucube 2 Pro user here also experiencing grainy-ness after the update to 2020.3. It’s most noticeable for me in Rfactor 2 with the default TD setup and the Rfactor 2 .json file Mika posted a while back. Disabling resonance reduction makes the problem worse. The only way I’ve found to improve the feeling is to increase the reconstruction filter to 10 compared to the default TD profile of 4, but it’s still definitely noticeable.

I’ve had some grainy feeling also with the older version.
In my case I had Peaking and Notch filter -> Center Frequency Hz -> Enabled 40hz
I disabled that filter after trying some things and my feel is better now. (It now reads : filter disabled)

Other settings for GT3/GTE
Recon Filter 5
Torque bandwidth 3300Hz
damp 5
Friction 13
Inertia 13
Static reduc : 34
Slew rate : off
ULL 16

Bumpstop 100
Bump angle 10
Bump damp 0

SteamVR should be before you power up SC2, not only start TD

I try to turn on and turn off this “Resonance reduction” and it changes absolutely nothing… There’s still the same problem… It’s annoying because it filters all the grip effects so personally, I drive 1 second slower than before the update because I absolutely do not feel the grip effects that are erased by the fucking grainy feeling ! So please give us the opportunity to revert to the old version of the fireware while you look for the solution. You’re making me hate ACC as I was getting my kicks with True Drive’s ACC presets up to this 2010.03 version and this fireware update.

I am having none of those issues, so I am no expert but I think that is not fw related, otherwise that would happen to anyone who updated…

2 Likes

It’s possible but I tried to reinstall True Drive version 2020.01 (but the fireware is still 1.0.17) and I still have the same problem …

Yeah, downgrading requires a special method.

There is now one report that it is the damping in particular that causes the issue. Can you confirm this?

I don’t know, I’m not an FFB expert enough. For ACC, I always took the True Drive preset for this simulation and I thought it was good.

In the ACC preset of True Drive, the Damping is at 0% so I tried setting it to 20% and I didn’t see any difference in this “grainy” effect.

Give me some settings that you think are good for ACC (if you are not happy with the True Drive preset) and I’ll tell you if I still feel this effect that screws up the FFB.

I didn’t notice any difference in FFB after updating. If anything, it seemed to have improved my driving - personal records in ACC have been reduced by 1s all around (Monza 1’49 to 1’48, Spa 2’19 to 2’18, Brands Hatch 1’25 to 1’24).

I don’t mean to discount the negative experience people reported, just wanted to share mine in case people are having second thoughts about updating. The permanent high torque and tray features are a big quality of life improvement.

2 Likes

Im on a SC2 Sport too and no grainy feel on my side