Simucube 2 True Drive software feedback thread

Slightly further up it’s saying:

• Reduced audible motor noise in all models
2 Likes

The Direct input friction filter “singing” is still present in Raceroom, doesn’t bother me much though, I simply turn off the Friction filter, I don’t feel it do very much to begin with.

after the update:
beep tone all 2 min works again.
Software True Drive still crashes after restart.
The SC2 must also be from the PC before starting. Otherwise nothing is recognized.

new firmware beebs with audible notifications disabled

@Jeff: Is it after every 2 minutes? If so, that is intentional, cannot be disabled and is a safety-feature.

Yeah, I actually really like that feature and it reminds me to either depress the e-stop or turn the wheel off.

2 Likes

Thanks, think it is. My teammates hate it on discord. Safety is overrated imo

What really annoys me is the pulsing blue-red light when Safety Mode is OFF (allways…)
Its reflects on my alu rig like a police car, and worst thing is that its brighter than my RGB leds bar confusing me even more.
The problem is easily solved with adhesive tape thankfully

Webcam covers could also work if someone wants something else than adhesive tape. The light will be there as it is also used for displaying the device status.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Webcam+Cover&_sacat=0

1 Like

Hello nicsos123,

Only for Ultimate? What about Simucube2 Pro noises?

I’ve been asking around on that release note item and yes, the fix has only been confirmed for Ultimate but as the release notes were later updated, all models should now exhibit less resonance. We should have reached out to you for testing releases as well, sorry for that. Have you tried with the latest firmware if that fixes the resonance issues?

My imagination says that the noises are less now with the 1.07 release, but I haven’t done a recording of previous noises for reference. Previously the noises where quite annoying at 15% friction filter (direct input).
Now they are maybe a bitt quieter at 100% filter.

My imagination says that the noises are less now with the 1.07 release, but I haven’t done a recording of previous noises for reference.

Thanks JonD for the report! Did you have Sport, Pro or Ultimate? The “less noise” fix should have minimal effect if you did not already have really noticeable noises coming from the device.

Previously the noises where quite annoying at 15% friction filter (direct input).

Sorry I missed your earlier messages regarding the friction effect. The latest 1.0.7 did not change the friction effect code at all but overall the “less noise” fix must’ve carried over to the current friction implementation being more quiet. We’ll need to investigate how we could make it better quality in future releases.

Turning the directinput friction effect off for now and possibly using the “Other Effects > Friction” is a workaround, as you already suggested.

Thank you. Mika did contact me regarding testing releases, but my SC2 was in your workshop and is currently still on the way to the reseller and then back to me (that’s the procedure) . That’ll take a while until i can test the new FW.

1 Like

I have the pro model.
I will try to make a video at some point, but I believe that nicsos did a video of the issue earlier in this post.
My statement that it is better than before can not really trusted a lot though as I don’t have any “proof” other than subjective memory and that can not be trusted since I have run with the direct input friction filter off for so long as a work around.
My issue was pretty much exactly the same as nicsos, and a video will give a better comparison I think.

I’m glad to hear that you got your unit fixed :slightly_smiling_face:

Do you know if any problems were found and what they were?

Thanks, but nothing was repaired. They just told me that the noises are normal, nothing to worry about, and that maybe they’ll disappear with a next firmware update. They said every device makes noises. The whole thing took a month, for nothing. I’ll have to get used to the fact that Direct Drives are not silent as I thought. Or maybe they’re kidding me, what ever, i’ve to keep the noises for now!

I don’t think my Ultimate is noisy but it is noisier than my Sim Steering 2 was, strange chatty/rattly noises during moments of high FFB like running off track or on curbs.

In every other aspect it’s better though so I can live with it!

1 Like

Yep, it is all to do with internal filtering and massaging of incoming ffb signal, as well as the quality of that signal. Especially the low-freq 60hz iRacing signal is problematic, and the low-frequency can manifest around Center as a rattle. Or sand-in-a-gearbox sound/feel.

It can be tuned out in the Simucube but then the wheel inherits the overdampened SS2 feel.

Hopefully one day iRacing will up the ffb rate to something a bit more modern. Even so, I am always able to tune the wheel to a ffb-feel I like, I just ignore the slight chatter around Center.

So does the Pro make the same sounds? I still get the same sounds with Assetto Corsa so I’d put it down to the specific motor of the Ultimate rather than 60hz FFB of iRacing. If the Pro also exhibits this behaviour then I hold out hope that this can be fixed with future FW revisions.

I haven’t experienced any sound with my Pro that I would consider obtrusive at all.

It does emit a low volume, high pitch chirp, but only if I’m really hammering over high curbing and I would get that in AC, rF2 and R3E for example. I wouldn’t say there is a specific sim that I’ve found noisier over another.