Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock - Feedback and suggestions

We have investigated a report about the wireless receiver module not being detected on Simucube 2 wheel base start in this firmware.

We have identified a difference in the timing of communications to the module in the previous firmware.

A hotfix will be out if we get more reports about this.

I really canā€™t understand all this negativity on here for 2021.11
I installed it yesterday, and whilst ā€˜someā€™ parts of it are a ā€˜tinyā€™ bit clunkier than on Classic Profiles (which I loved), there are other parts that are better and cleaner.

Iā€™ve upgraded, hated if for a few minutes, then worked out how to edit my profiles, and itā€™s actually a good step forward.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve added already a changelog for next version of the True Drive

https://granitedevices.com/wiki/Simucube_2_True_Drive_releases

Also the Paddock web application will have some usability improvements that are deployed separately.

4 Likes

so I have to change my mind, I went back and forth between 21.9 and 21.11 and, as others already said, ffb feels so much better on 21.11

1 Like

Oh yes!
Crashing feels so much smoother in iRacing. :rofl:

Edit:
You can feel it really good when you drive the Red Bull Ring for instance.

The rewritten firmware runs on an RTOS platform with somewhat more consistent and accurate timing of FFB updates to servo drive, however it is not really clear where the improvement is coming from.

4 Likes

I was about to ask as there is nothing in release notes related to reported improved smoothness.

You didnā€™t cap TBW by any chance?

Torque lowpass filter runs on the servo drive and was not a part of the rewrite.

1 Like

upcoming changelog has been updated again, we have fixed two issues that were directly related to the device firmware refactoring.

Also, we deployed a usability improvement to Paddock earlier today.

3 Likes

Downgrade to 2021.11 wouldnā€™t have worked without a fix, so I made a new installer package with just that fix and uploaded it to wiki page, and also removed the original release.

Good things coming for 2021.12, lets see if we get some filter testing newsā€¦

9 Likes

Hello! I just recently updated to Paddock version and for some reason I cant change default wheel image. On Classic i just changed wheelimage.png and it worked perfectly showing my image, but in Paddock changing wheelimage.png does nothing

I think there is something mentioned in the release that it MUST be 400x400 with file type PNG.
If not, nothing will change without any message.

I second that. For my USB connected wheel both the ā€œselect new fileā€ as well as the ā€œremove existing mappingā€ are greyed out. Also the window name is ā€œwireless wheel imageā€, but no wireless wheel is connected.

For wireless wheels it is working as expected.

1 Like

For next release, I will see that it will load an image from Documents/Simucube 2/wheels/wheelimage.png

1 Like

I can second that AkiG, datoml. It works for me now with a workaround.
My wheel image shows up when I start with the log command line.
Initially I just wanted to know what went wrong and implemented the log command just to realize that it fixes the issue for me.

Is anyone else having a problem with Truedrive freezing upon the PC going to sleep? This happens every time my PC sleeps and it is not solved by closing the program through the task manager and restarting. It will start frozen again. A complete restart is reuired to reset Truedriveā€¦ every time my PC sleeps. Iā€™m on Windows 11.

Interesting. Is the Simucube off or on when you do this?

Itā€™s on, it pretty much always is =|. Is that not recommended?

This used to be happening on the very first releases of Simucube 2 firmware, where there was a bug that required device to be restarted if PC was restarted. But its been fixed for two years now. I wonder if its got something to do with how Windows 11 resumes communication with USB devices or something like that.