Simucube 2 True Drive Paddock - Feedback and suggestions

I mentioned this too back in the beginning. Much of the US still has phone,internet and power running above ground so outages arent that uncommon.

1 Like

@Mika Iā€™m on 2021.11+hotfix, Paddock still opens to the latest used profile instead of the one I set as default.

Firmware lives on device, what any of the reasons you listed has anything to do with online only profiles management. And look, right now new offline mode manages them on local disk, exactly how it was done with MMOs and how it should have been done on SimuCube to begin with.
But credit where credit is due, I am glad that GD is revisiting its stance on importance of offline only mode and making it fully functional and supported option. Thanks for listening.

3 Likes

so, if you set a default profile, this is what happens:

• that profile (the FFB parameters) are stored on device permanently
  • unique UUID of the profile gets stored to the device permanently

If you then switch to different profile:

• that next profileā€™s FFB parameters are store on device (but not permanently)
  • that next profileā€™s UUID is stored on device

Lets call this point A.

If you now close and reopen True Drive:

• True Drive loads the running profileā€™s UUID from device and sends that to Paddock, Paddock replies with its FFB settings that are also then sent to device.

If, instead, at point A, you power off and power on the device, and then open True Drive,

• the default profile and its UUID are loaded from device flash and are set to use. You could go driving with these settings in some situations.
  • True Drive asks profile UUID from device and sends the UUID to Paddock
  • Then Paddock replies with that profileā€™s FFB parameters again.

Did you power off and power on the device when you tested?

yes, I noticed that at the first start of today. yesterday I set AC as default but instead it opened on ACC, last sim i played yesterday.

did you at any point save settings to device from hardware tab or recenter wheel permanently? those also set all the parameters permanently to flash.

no, not that i remember at leastā€¦

a minor usability feedback regarding the configuration of analog axis: import/export dialog should open with user/Documents/Simucube 2 directory instead the wheel folder within the installation folder

good feedback, we certainly did not go through all possible places / dialogs where the file save/load functions are used. Iā€™ve fixed this right now, lets see if there are any other remaining placesā€¦

So (if I read correctly), when migration to Paddock is done with its hotfixes et all, then FFb filters will be revisited and/or new features added.
What will happen to all the profiles previously created and uploaded?

Similar thing to if we added a new filter without Paddock. The existing profiles (userā€™s own or in the Paddock) are left at the new filterā€™s default setting (typically Off).

Can you make it fully functional off-line?
That would be wonderful! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep
I have Verizon FiOS fiber, but it still is coming off a pole with wires run thru the trees.
Fortunately at this house we donā€™t have too many outages.

People in the more rural counties lose power and internet Everytime there is a big storm.

The main reason I want to be able to use SC2 in stand alone mode without internet is I want to gear up to have mobile cockpits that can be taken to race tracks and other venues.
If it wont be possible with SC2 I will do it with SC1

1 Like

Only lacking in the offline mode is assigning game, car type, private notes and such metadata to profiles. And of course sharing your profile to others if you so wish.

2 Likes

Same here. We dont have tons but with me being so close to the Great Lakes we get weird weather. Like the October ice storm had that had things out for weeks. Similar to how things are now it was 50 degrees a week ago and the leaves havent fallen yet. Its 20-30 here now but a 35 degree day and rain could screw things again. Our infrastructure is ancient in most cases here. They just changed the power coming into my shop and the guy that did it said a lot of stuff they fix is 50 plus years old.

So if i update to this release i cant just make a new profile for a game in offline? Im assuming thats what you mean by not being able to assign game?

You can make a profile but there is no dropdown menu to select a game or a car type for it,as that is metadata that only the Paddock web application deals with.

As I see it the offline mode is on feature parity with the classic mode.

I have to update to another newer version first before this update right?

It depends if you have backed up your existing profiles you want to keep. But you can update directly to the newest from whatever version.